Re: Velop Firmware 1.1.2.185309 Launched

That’s a shame. On my 3 node system at 100 Mb/sec, I get a100 Mb/sec speed from all nodes. That’s using either of the two most recent firmware releases.

I'm using (have been for 6+ months) a simple 3 node system connected to a standard (not fiber) 300 Meg cable modem. I have had no issues at all including auto updates. I am purely wireless between the 3 nodes 2 of which are on on floor and one a floor below. I have also split the 5 and 2.4 GHz networks with separate SSIDs. I bet it's the squeaky wheel scenario on the board.

I bet you don’t realize that the one router is covering your entire house.

Can you verify by going to app and seeing where each device is connected to?

Unfortunately in bridged mode you cannot tell which node your device is connecting to.  I usually just turn wifi off and back on to make sure my device connects to the node with the best signal if I'm moving from one level to another (3 floors in my house).  I can tell on my Mac which node I'm connected to using WiFi explorer.  Not so much with iPhone/iPad.  The MacBook Pro definitely changes nodes.

Unfortunately I may have spoken too soon.  Tonight my Wifi was nearly unusable, speeds had dropped to an average of 20Mps instead of the normal 200-250Mps I usually get.  It seemed that sites using IPv6 were much, much slower than sites that used only IPv4 so I turned off IPv6 on my firewall/dhcp.  I also plugged my node 2 into Ethernet backhaul and restarted all the nodes.  To my surprise node 2 actually came up and configured.  I am now getting 270-290Mps when connected to node 2 (in the same room I'm in).

I will run with this configuration for a few days and see if performance starts declining again.  If this continues I'll have to reconsider whether I keep these or return them.  There is no way I'm going to reboot all my APs ever few days.

Expert

Linksys_Lucas wrote:

Lynchmob wrote:

Fbm111,

I can't recall which post I read today Fbm, but Linksys said that the latest FW update is for the current security concerns and there's an aggressive push to fix the ethernet backhaul issue in future FW releases.  I will not try this update until Linksys says they have fixed the ethernet backhaul problem; and then I still wont trust it until I try it for myself.

Hi All,

This update is only KRACK and security fixes it is based on the same code most of you are running today with those implemented. For you guys that are waiting in the ethernet Backhaul perfectly fine to sit this one out if KRACK isn't a huge concern from your side. Totally understand the hesitancy considering the the pre - Thanksgiving update but that had such a big impact on wired BH.

Hi Lucas--

Using a network analyzer I've observed that this release, although stable, consistantly provides half the wireless speed of 1.1.2.183316. For Gb ethernet it's probably not observable but my ISP downlink is 120Mb/sec which translates under this release to 8Mb/sec to the device. This isn't much bandwidth to stream video.

Z

Expert

Linksys_Lucas wrote:

klbass68 wrote:
Does this version alao include some of the fixes that were included in release 1.1.2.184933?

Hi KLbass,

No we have opted to push some of the larger changes out into another release. As has been vociferously discussed here by some of our more animated forum members we did have a bug that impacted wired backhaul in our november release. That forced us to rollback the firmware, while we are working on fixing that and other issues we opted to do an interim release to address the wireless security exploits.

Regards,

Lucas

Hi Lucas--

I've done software development for 30 years and the "large," fix it all releases never work out well. Like 1.1.2.185309 have you considered doing the release in smaller chunks? That way it's easier to test.

Z

exm

[ Edited ]

I'm still stuck. Only my first node (connected to router) was updated. The other 3 do not updated (I'm running in bridge mode). I have a support case open with Linksys, but the only update in a week was:

"It is odd that the other nodes didn't update automatically. Have you tried to do a manual update per node? To do this, checkout this article to retrieve the download link and steps for the process: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=207568"

Well DUH, I tried that already. Told that in my reply on the 19th. Haven't heard back.

The funny part is that if you click on the link provided by Linksys Support it states

"NOTE:  For instructions on how to manually update the firmware of your Velop, call the Linksys Velop Support at 800-986-0518 for North America"

Linksys, your technical support really needs improvement.

Linksys makes it sound as if only backhaul doesn’t work. None of this junk works. In my opinion the people that don’t have issues are the ones that don’t realize they only need one node to start with. <br><br>Linksys is an absolute joke at best, scam artists at worst. There is no excuse for this type of junk being used.
Expert

jtskfs wrote:
That’s a shame. On my 3 node system at 100 Mb/sec, I get a100 Mb/sec speed from all nodes. That’s using either of the two most recent firmware releases.

Hi --

What is your configuration? I wish I could get the same performance.

Z