Velop Firmware1.1.2.186308

I've been on this for 2 weeks now, and I have to say, my 2 Node system is performing as well, or actually better than my Asus NightHawk Router...with custom 'Merlin' Firmware on it....

The Asus was the ONLY recent  router, to penetrate my 3 level,apartment, with the Router in a semi metal lined building....the Velop actually gives me a MUCH stronger signal, and coverage also

Hope I havent  jinxed myself!!

Re: Velop Firmware1.1.2.186308

Hello @Kerriskandiesinc

I am cursed with boundless optimism. For me the glass is always half full. 

So - notwithstanding the fact that I have tried this version before and found it just as awful as all the others - based on your experience I have moved my 5-node system back to that version for another go. I'll see if it works and report back.

Can I just ask - what is your configuration? ie Are you in Bridge mode, or using the Velops without another network infrastructure?

Purely a Master, Skave Node 2 Velop System, wireless behind my main Modem

I completely ditched the Asus Nighthawk , my Master Velop seems to ( almost) replicate its range anyway , Master is Ground floor ( separate .... but attached Brick/ Steel building ) , Slave about 75 ft away on 2 nd floor . Whole building/ Apartment is about 5000 sq ft

Handoff to Slave isn’t ALWAYS perfect , but I tend to reboot some of my systems every one to two weeks anyways, which usually sees them re handshake with the ( closest, strongest, fastest ) Slave Node . I only have a modest 2 Meg pipe , even my slowest, furthest Wireless devices pull just over half that speed, minimum , some usually a good deal more almost attaining 80% ..... maybe , luckily I’m not asking too much of the Velops ??

Oh wow, and I thought I was a reasonably contented, undemanding person!! Smiley Happy

So you're getting imperfect hand-off, required rebooting, range *nearly* as good as a standalone router and sometimes up to 2 meg speed ... and still you are happy with the Velop. Makes me wonder what your experience was with the NightHawk under Merlin - or any other network for that matter! Smiley Happy  

I have to say that I ask a bit more from my wifi network than you - things like dependable usability, reliability, resilience. But I'm happy you're happy. 

Handoff has improved greatly, with this Beta? release?

The NetGear Nighthawk was the ONLY recent router to even connect, seeing as it and the Modem are in a brick/steel lined building

I think the Master Velop alone is almost as good, BUT with the Slave on the second floor, about 75 ft from Master, I now have a MUCH stronger Up/Down speed than the NightHawk could ever attain, in those 'far' corners

Hey...it's working , I'm usually getting 85% of my advertised 'wired' speed, all over the building....

I'm happy, thus far

Merlin and the NightHawk was the best experience I had had, thus far....my building is part business/apartment, and is brick, steel lined in places....NO other Router has even come close to the NightHawk, the (2) Velop system DOES better it, considerably, I was just espousing that the Master alone almost equals it....a reasonable achievement, in my opinion...

This is from the Slave node, a good......40 ft, total about 125? ft from my Modem/Master, this on a 200Mbps 'wired' connection

screenshot_34.png

So I woke this morning to a complete failure of the Velop wifi networks - no connectivity of smart devices, automationfailures etc. I didn't have the time or inclination for a complete investigation, but suspect - given the phone reaction - a DHCP issue.

Velop soft restart - no obvious improvement. Velop hard restart and it's up again.   

<sigh> So much for that firmware.

My configuration that works well for me:

I have AT&T Uverse and enabled Passthru mode (same thing as BRIDGE mode on a cable modem).   This passes the external IP address directly to your Linksys Velop parent node (so it doesnt have a 192.168.1.x IP address from the Uverse modem, it has a 99.xx.xx.xx.IP address directly from Uverse.   

Then I use DHCP on the Velop system (not the Uverse gateway/modem).   It works great for me.

I only have a 50mbps download/6mbps upload from Uverse.

My parent node is - 1 ethernet cable to the Uverse modem.    1 ethernet cable to an Linksys 8 port ethernet switch.   My child node is plugged into the ethernet switch and then the ethernet port on the child node.    Then my other ethernet devices are plugged into the 8 port switch (laptops, desktops, printers, security cam, etc).

I am very happy with the reception, wifi speed, distance, etc.