Expert

Re: Velop Guest Access bug

[ Edited ]

@VTBOY I finished my testing.

Testing process used:

1. Logged into each Velop node and made sure they are both running firmware FW_WHW03_1.1.2.185309_prod.img
  2. All Velop testing was done with Ethernet backhaul
  3. Client device was a Samsung Galaxy S5
  4. To connect to specific Velop nodes I used Wifi Analyzer App with Connection module.

Network topology: Main network (192.168.200.0/24) => Velop Primary => Ethernet Cable => Secondary node

1. Router and Bridge modes worked for both normal and guest wireless on both nodes
  2. Connecting to secondary node always fast transferred to primary node; only after a lot of shielding could I get the client to connect to the secondary node

Network topology: Main network (192.168.200.0/24) => Velop Primary => HP V141-24 Switch => Secondary node

1. Router and Bridge modes worked for both normal but not for guest wireless when connecting to the secondary node; I knew this would happen because the HP V141-24 unmanaged switch had failed before with one of my previous VOIP VLAN implementations. (At that VOIP installation I replaced all the HP V141-24 switches with Linksys LGS unmanaged switches which are VLAN compatible)

Turning on and off the Guest wireless didn't make a difference because in order to do that you have to disconnect from the Guest wireless in order to disable the Guest wireless. Velop DHCP always handed out the right IP Subnets for normal and Guest wireless.

I did one test where I powered off the primary node and left the secondary on. When I powered up the primary I repeatedly tried to connect to both the guest and normal wireless of the secondary node. The primary switch ports come on-line before it's wireless so I was able to connect to the secondary nodes networks before the primary was completely up. The client got an IP Address for the Guest network from the secondary node and from then on it would only get an IP Address from the secondary until tried connecting to the primary where the primary had a strong signal. DHCP does seem to be sticky per node.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Thanks for the tests.

So for all the velop users who are using unmanaged switch, you recommened people to use VLAN compatible switch?

and for all the velop users who are using managed switch, you recommened people to add vlan 3&4 to the velop lan ports?

Correct me if I was wrong or you have something I didn't mention, feel free to share them to us!

Expert

@wrote:

Thanks for the tests.

So for all the velop users who are using unmanaged switch, you recommened people to use VLAN compatible switch?

and for all the velop users who are using managed switch, you recommened people to add vlan 3&4 to the velop lan ports?

Correct me if I was wrong or you have something I didn't mention, feel free to share them to us!

Yes to both Smiley Happy

I have nothing else to add at this point.

Linksys

Alright, thanks, that's good, I will try add vlan 3,4 once I get tme and post the results here again. As I know, all the unmanged switch is not vlan compatible unless it's managed switch, it's interesting that linksys has vlan compatible unmanaged switch. So I'm wondering how can guests determine which unmanaged switch is vlan compatible? Like in China, Linksys doesn't even sell unmanaged switch, how can Chinese velop customers determine and buy a compatible unmanaged switch when they don't need managed switch in China?

Expert

@wrote:

Alright, thanks, that's good, I will try add vlan 3,4 once I get tme and post the results here again. As I know, all the unmanged switch is not vlan compatible unless it's managed switch, it's interesting that linksys has vlan compatible unmanaged switch. So I'm wondering how can guests determine which unmanaged switch is vlan compatible? Like in China, Linksys doesn't even sell unmanaged switch, how can Chinese velop customers determine and buy a compatible unmanaged switch when they don't need managed switch in China?

My only suggestion would be a Google search like: "amazon" "unmanaged switch" "vlan"

Linksys

Yeah, I guess. I mean I was just considering velops users who only use unmanaged switch might have this issue, your advice will save them a lot of money. For me, I'm using managed switch, so I don't need worry about the unmanaged switch stuff for myself a lot and I think what you guys advertised before will make my guest network recover again. Thanks for all the help!

Hey man, got some time to set my vlan switch today. All the guest networks of the child nodes are working pretty well with the router mode. I had tested the guest network on several child nodes with 2 times reboots and 2 times turn on/off guest access. So just follow what chadster766 said, your guest network will be fixed for sure(WARN: only in router mode currently). For your managed switch, I did search, but couldn't really find the default address of it online, sorry man. My suggestion is call nortel support and you will know everything you want from them.

Highlighted

Hi chadster766, so you know on the bh_report, there's a speed part of each node, what does this speed exact mean here? Like why someone showed constant 1024 but mine was like all different numbers everytime I run the bh_report.