Re: Velop Guest Access bug

[ Edited ]

Update on Velop guest wifi bug.

Yesterday I received from Linksys three new nodes from Velop (as the engineers could not figure what to do to fix my problem with guest wifi not working over a ethernet connected child node #2).

To test the new 3 node system (4,5,6 for reference) I first tried installing one of them to my existing three node (1,2,3 for reference) Velop system by using the IOS app and the add a node feature.  This proved to be very problematic and I kept getting the "we've hit a snag" error.  I called tech support and then began a four hour phone support session to get the system running.  The only way we could get the new "forth" node to work was to bring the node in manually (entered IP address on laptop) and download and install a software update and manually load onto forth node.  90 mins later we finally got the forth node working.  We tried to install the "fifth" node, but it gave us the same problems as node 4 and had to do all the manual IP address and other workarounds using my laptop.  

At this point IT advised I install node 6 as my new parent node.  We disconnected the old parent (node 1) and began installing.  After numerous attempts we finally got node 6 established using the IOS app and creating a new network.  Nodes 4 and 5 were connected using the app and having them very near the node 6.   Nodes 4 and 5 were then placed at locations previously occupied by nodes 2 and 3.  

Testing the 6 (parent) 4,5 (children) nodes was problematic.  The child nodes wifi connectivity would come and go.  We powered down my TimeWarner modem and tried again after it had completely rebooted.

Node #4 (ethernet connected node) had good signal (60mps) at times to the Wifi network, but using the Guest Wifi speed went to 2mps.  this was tested several times.

Node #5 wifi would come and go but got speed of 30mps on wifi and ~25mps on guest wifi.  

The IT support felt this was a partial success as now I had guest wifi albeit at 2mps from node #4.  This all took about 4 hours on the phone.

An hour after my IT session with Linksys,  I tried wifi from node #4.   wifi very sporadic if any signal/connectivity at all.  niether wifi or guest wifi staying on using Iphone (using iphone settings, wifi the wifi network name and guest wifi name apppears and disappears).  Oddly when trying to get on wifi with phone, I was prompted repeatedly to enter name and pw of velop wifi network.  This usually occurs once and once PW is entered it doesn't ask again.  Looking at the node #4 this morning light is blue for awhile, then goes to blue pulse then back to solid blue...  Something is jacked.

At this point I went from issues with guest wifi not working from ethernet node to no wifi at all for half the house.  Very frustrating and much time wasted on this system.  

I have 5 nodes set up and have spent a long time trying to troubleshoot the guest network.

I can confirm that the guest network does NOT work from any wired child nodes. It only works from wireless child nodes and the wired parent node.

I have tried multiple combinations of wired vs wireless child nodes and the behaviour is consistent.

As soon as I plug the Ethernet port in a wireless configured child node the guest network does not connect (or serve an IP) even though it is visible. On an IOS device - the WiFi settings show that the guest network cannot connect to the internet - even though it accepts the passcode.

Can we please get this fixed.

also worth adding (and a stab in the dark) that there are services that the guest network needs from the parent node that are not available from the LAN wired backhaul - almost like they are blocked. Possibly why the wireless nodes are not effected.

Smiley Happy - one last note ... in all tests and combinations - the non-guest WiFi network blankets the house with NO issue - problem is that I want to use the guest network for my IoT and smart home devices.

*gentle bump*

Same here. 3 node system installed today, all upates done, all nodes wired, guest access from "root" node OK, NO guest access from the other nodes. BIG BUG!!!!!

I want it smart (Velop), fast (wired) and with guest access (for my IoT stuff). Please get that working asap!

I have been experiencing the same issue with a new 2 node Velop system that I have been attmepting to setup. I now have the two nodes working, I have set the Velop to bridge mode and wish to use an ethernet backhaul.

After many hours of testing I have determined.

When parents node and child node are connected wirelessly:

- Client devices can connect to the parent node via regular and guest wifi SSIDs

- Client devices can connect to the child node via regular and guest wifi SSIDs

When parent node and child node are connected via ethernet:

- Client devices can connect to the parent node via regular and guest wifi SSIDs

- Client devices can connect to the child node via regular wifi SSID

- Client devices fail to connect to the child node via the guest wifi SSID (clients fail to get a valid IP address)

This is very frustrating and makes the guest network unusuable for me.

Hi, Matthias72 & bobblenator. We'd like to hear more about this setback. Please email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com, along with the link to this post and your contact details (phone #, location).

Kloe-21503
Linksys Technical Support

Same thing Here. Just got 4 Brand New Nodes. All Hardwired and connected through a Layer 2 switch. Regular WiFI works amazing. But Guest network will not work on any of the Child Nodes, only on the parent node. My devices will connect to the child nodes but will not be served IP's. My guess is that Linksys needs to program each hardwired child node to act independently for the guest network, since there is no proper VLAN configured to separate the two networks.