Re: Velop Guest Access bug

any update on this issue? i have the same issue with the guest network.

thanks,

garrett

Any news on this issue? I do have an update, but no good news.

My setup and a summary of the problem: 3 nodes, big house so all nodes are wired to the same switch. The main ("router") node and ONE of the other two nodes work just fine when a device connects to the guest wifi network. But one node does not. When a device is connected to the guest wifi on the "bad" node, the linksys app shows that the device is connected to the guest network and has a guest IP address, etc. However, the device itself reports "no internet connection" and has a self-assigned IP address.

The main wifi network works fine on all nodes and I'm happy with the wifi connections all throughout my house, etc. However, this guest wifi issue is a problem for me as I have guests quite often and don't need their devices (and whatever rouge software may be on them) being on the main network just in case!

On the phone (many calls) with support is where I learned that one of the other nodes seems to work fine and the other doesn't. (This is after they had me switch to a non-managed switch. No difference. Tested different ports, different switches (managed and unmanaged), etc.) They determined (assumed?) that the one failing node must be faulty. They sent me a replacement. Today, I set it up and had the exact same problem: One node doesn't work for guest wifi. The main node and the other remote node do work for guest wifi. 

So? Software issue? Is a fix for this going to be in the next update? When?

- Garrett

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same issue. Guest network works on the parent node but not through the child nodes all of which are connected via an unmanaged switch.

New nodes sent out but the same problem. The guest network works on the child nodes without ethernet connection but as soon as connected through a switch only parent node works. All nodes transmit guest network SSID but devices can not connect.

Main network swicthes from one node to the next just fine.

Hi, Everyone! Please don't hesitate to reach out at LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can have our Escalation Engineers further assist you on this matter. You may include in your email the link to this post, your Phone number, and Location.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

Hi, Carl,

I have reached out to support and they ended up sending me 2 new nodes. Made no difference as I have the same issue with the new nodes.

I just don’t want guests to have access to my main network which has my NAS drives etc and at the moment it is impossible to get the child nodes to transmit on Guest network.

If there is anything that can be done I will really appreciate it.

After spending a LOT of time with Linksys support (had to explain and test the issue repeatedly with three levels of support (~2 hours each time) what they came back with was that the guest network is using a separate network and that I need to enable that through my switch. As I don't have much need for the guest network I have somewhat dropped working on the issue as I was losing the will to live while pushing back with the tech support people who seemed determined to prove that it was something wrong with my network while I ran around the house rebooting everything. So, getting a new node is not likely to fix the issue as it is something in the firmware and how guest networks are implemented that needs to be addressed. 

Thanks DaQi. That is indeed very frustrating!! All I wanted was a simple seamless network and spent extra buying in a hope to get it. Sadly it was not to be.

I understand it’s new technology but surely there must be a way. Google home accomplishes it no problem at all so obviously is possible. And dare I say it is half price of the velop.

Well here’s hoping they will fix the issue.

Main SSID network traffic runs on VLAN 1

Guest network traffic runs on VLAN 3

If you connect the child nodes to an ethernet backbone that doesn't pass both VLANs, guest network won't work from the children.

Ethernet options:

1) Connect the Velop nodes directly to each other via ethernet. Node1 is the parent.

Bridge Mode: LAN switch -> Node1 -> Node2 -> Node3

Router Mode: WAN port -> Node1 -> Node2 -> Node3 -> LAN Switch

2) Use a switch that can be configured to pass both VLANs among the ports that the Velop nodes are connected to.

Thanks for posting this. Saved me hours of troubleshooting.

Hi, Flybouy320, I have the exact same problem, too. Based on your information, I think it's a firmare bug and it appears 1. when you are using router mode 2. when you are using switch after the parent node 3. when you are using PPPoE mode (not sure about the third point. I'm using PPPoE mode and has this guest problem, but another velop guest I knew said he has no problem on the guest network on any node. So he's using router mode and use switch after the parent node. The only difference between him and me is he's using DHCP mode but I'm using PPPoE mode) So I'm wondering if you are using Router mode with PPPoE mode as well? This is really important to know. Thanks!