Re: Velop Guest Access bug

[ Edited ]

Thanks, asutt on the other post told me the details about tagging vlan 3&4 with managed switch, and I think I figured out why he tagged vlan 3&4 now not just 3. I don't think how he tagged on the switch was wrong but it seems the guest network still didn't work. And I know your switch is unmamaged, so it's even difficult to test that way, I will take time to set my VLAN switch and see what's going on.

Maybe what we are focusing is wrong, but besides the switch setting I can't find anything wrong.

I've been trying to figure this out too. I tried tagging vlan 3, and 3 & 4 on my managed switch (netgear gs108e) over the weekend without success. I did notice today the following settings in sysinfo.cgi

guest_lan_ipaddr=192.168.3.1
guest_lan_netmask=255.255.255.0

I know my router is only serving dhcp on 192.168.1.x. I wonder if this is related. At one point I misconfigured the switch and blocked all traffic on the uplink to the router. Wouldn't you know that my test device on the guest network got a 192.168.3.x address, presumably from velop.

It would be great to get some technical help from Linksys here on the forum, instead of contacting support individually, so we could get to the bottom of this and all take advantage.

Expert

@wrote:

I've been trying to figure this out too. I tried tagging vlan 3, and 3 & 4 on my managed switch (netgear gs108e) over the weekend without success. I did notice today the following settings in sysinfo.cgi

guest_lan_ipaddr=192.168.3.1
guest_lan_netmask=255.255.255.0

I know my router is only serving dhcp on 192.168.1.x. I wonder if this is related. At one point I misconfigured the switch and blocked all traffic on the uplink to the router. Wouldn't you know that my test device on the guest network got a 192.168.3.x address, presumably from velop.

It would be great to get some technical help from Linksys here on the forum, instead of contacting support individually, so we could get to the bottom of this and all take advantage.

AFAIK VLANs' are not implemented in the Velop system. Why do you think implementing VLANs' will resolve your issue as far as the Velop guest wifi is concerned?

Do you know what VLAN is used for?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Again, wasn't this system supposed to be easy? The level of problem solving we are looking does not qualify as easy or simple. For this kind of money I expected the system to configure itself and bring me a cup of tea once it was done.Smiley Tongue

guest_vlan_id=3

Hahahaha, totally. We should have a group chat so that we can talk about this issue to each other easier, I don't expect the linksys support will fix our issue now, so let's explore more by ourselves. (I sent email to the engineer last Thursday and I still didn't get any response yet, what a high efficiency support team)

So only all velop LAN ports were tagged with vlan 3, right? try delete vlan 4 and keep vlan 3 only to see what's going on, it might not change anything though.

I've tried 5 scenarios using 802.1q tagging, all ports with pvid 1:

1. uplink (untagged vlan 3), velop ports (untagged vlan 3)
  2. uplink (untagged vlan 3 and 4), velop ports (untagged vlan 3 and 4)
  3. velop ports (tagged vlan 3)
  4. velop ports (tagged vlan 3 and 4)
  5. vlan tagging off completely

In all scenarios my guest network test device will not receive a dhcp address from the router. In some scenarios setting a static IP will work (I'd have to go back and retest each scenario to say which ones work).

Expert

[ Edited ]

wrote:

guest_vlan_id=3

Thanks for correcting me. I looked into an old Velop sysinfo.cgi I had handly and do see under the ifconfig section VLAN subinterfaces.

Linksys
Expert

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I've tried 5 scenarios using 802.1q tagging, all ports with pvid 1:

1. uplink (untagged vlan 3), velop ports (untagged vlan 3)
  2. uplink (untagged vlan 3 and 4), velop ports (untagged vlan 3 and 4)
  3. velop ports (tagged vlan 3)
  4. velop ports (tagged vlan 3 and 4)
  5. vlan tagging off completely

In all scenarios my guest network test device will not receive a dhcp address from the router. In some scenarios setting a static IP will work (I'd have to go back and retest each scenario to say which ones work).

According to your previous post the guest VLAN ID is 3.

To implement this on a switch for the Velop I recommend you try all switch ports connected to Velop nodes be configured Trunk, PVID 1 and tagged VLAN 3.

Linksys