Expert

Re: Velop Guest Access bug

@wrote:

Gotcha, so I'm wondering what's the next step after figuring out the Velop is sending tagged packets or not?

If tagged packets are sent, I will confirm managed switch settings required for them and post results here. I would also notify Linksys engineering of the issue so they can publish a article concerning managed switches and switches that don't forward VLAN IDs' with the Velop system.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

That would be super cool! Thanks a lot, your help gotta save all of us here!

@wrote:

According to your previous post the guest VLAN ID is 3.

To implement this on a switch for the Velop I recommend you try all switch ports connected to Velop nodes be configured Trunk, PVID 1 and tagged VLAN 3.

That was my 3rd scenario but I will try again tonight and report back here.

@wrote:

wrote:

Yes, I did set static ip too for the previous two firmware verion, the guest network worked, but that's not how guest network works lol. And try chadster766's way should be ok, hope it can be fixed, but since you guys have tagged vlan 3 and 4 with unsuccessful result, I'm doubting that.

I don't have access to a Velop that has guest access enabled right now. Could someone run sysinfo.cgi to confirm that under the ifconfig section there is an interfaces with ".3" appended. This would be the guest VLAN interface if it exists.

Interesting, no ".3" interfaces, only ".4", and the only mention of "vlan" in sysconfig.cgi is "guest_vlan_id=3"
ath0.4
ath1.4 
ath10.4
eth0.4

@wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Yes, I did set static ip too for the previous two firmware verion, the guest network worked, but that's not how guest network works lol. And try chadster766's way should be ok, hope it can be fixed, but since you guys have tagged vlan 3 and 4 with unsuccessful result, I'm doubting that.

I don't have access to a Velop that has guest access enabled right now. Could someone run sysinfo.cgi to confirm that under the ifconfig section there is an interfaces with ".3" appended. This would be the guest VLAN interface if it exists.

Interesting, no ".3" interfaces, only ".4", and the only mention of "vlan" in sysconfig.cgi is "guest_vlan_id=3"
ath0.4
ath1.4 
ath10.4
eth0.4

doh! I don't have the guest network enabled at the moment. ignore that for now.

[ Edited ]

wrote:

ath0.4
ath1.4 
ath10.4
eth0.4

Ok, sorry for the noise. With the guest netwrok on there are 4 ".3" interfaces: ath0.3, ath1.3, ath10.3, and eth0.3.

I've enabled 802.1q tagging vlan 3 and vlan 4 on my velop ports and my test device and it is still unable to get a dhcp address.

Expert

@wrote:

wrote:

ath0.4
ath1.4 
ath10.4
eth0.4

Ok, sorry for the noise. With the guest netwrok on there are 4 ".3" interfaces: ath0.3, ath1.3, ath10.3, and eth0.3.

I've enabled 802.1q tagging vlan 3 and vlan 4 on my velop ports and my test device and it is still unable to get a dhcp address.

Thanks I will look into this in more detail this evening and get back to you.

Linksys
Expert

[ Edited ]

I have confirmed in my testing that the Guest Network is sent on a Velop Ethernet backhaul on tagged VLAN3.

How I tested this was on the managed switch I configured three ports as Trunk Ports, PVID\Untagged VLAN1 (could be any other VLAN ID really) and Tagged VLAN3. Each port was connected to two Velop nodes and a PC. On the PC is configured it's network adapter for an Untagged VLAN and Tagged VLAN3. With the Velop Guest wireless enabled I got an IP Address on the PC's Untagged interface 192.168.1.0/24 and on it's VLAN3 Tagged interface 192.168.3.0/24.

I'm sure that the Guest wireless will use the wireless backhaul for DHCP requests but if the nodes can't communicate wirelessly then it's possible the DHCP request could be sent VLAN3 across the Ethernet backhaul in which case it would fail if the managed switch ports connecting the nodes are not configured as explained above.

Testing didn't show IPv6 on VLAN4 but I don't have a IPv6 ISP test setup at this time.

I will report these results to Linksys engineering to see if they have some advise on the subject.

Linksys
Expert

Linksys engineering got back to me on this and its a known issue. The article below outlines a workaround for the issue.

https://www.linksys.com/au/support-article?articleNum=278435

Linksys

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much! You really saved us and I will try once I get time, I'm sure the issue can be fixed by following what this article said!

However, I have one more question, the article said no configuration is needed for unmanaged switches, (I am using managed switch right now, but it's netgear switch, I guess it doesn't matter.) I actually did try use unmanaged switches, same problem happened, no connection of the guest network from the child nodes. How can the velop users who only have unmanaged switch deal with this issue then? I'm really curious about that. 

Based on the picture, I guess people who only have unmanaged switch have to plug in the wire from switch into the left port of each velop and plug in another wire which is WAN wire into the right port of each velop to fix it?