Re: Velop Guest Access bug

Hi Chadster766, I was so excited after getting the reply from you so that I didn't even pay attention what it said in the article. After I read all the material carefully from the link you sent to us, I feel like the way the engineered said had be done by several velop users before. As you can see, jnimety had tried 5 different kind of scenarios and the forth scenario velop ports (tagged vlan 3 and 4) is as same as what engineer mentioned. Jnimety said "In all scenarios my guest network test device will not receive a dhcp address from the router" which means there's still something wrong with it. To know more detail, we might need jnimety to answer that. I don't think they did anything wrong to tag both vlan 3 and 4 on the velop ports, so I would say correct us if you know how to set the correct Vlan setting to fix the guest network issue.

[ Edited ]

@jnimety, What PVID did you set for the tagged vlan 3&4(trunk)? It should be 1.

I am bowing to your knowledge here. I have also made an error and discovered that I have a managed switch. A Nortel 5510-24T . I have no idea how to access the config of the switch and have searched everywhere on line. Until I find that info I will be unable to check what the settings are for Vlan 3 & 4. Keep up the good work and hopefully we will come up with a solution that linksys havent.

Oh, that's nice that you have a managed switch. Different brand managed switch has diffrent default address. For the linksys Managed Switch, as you can see, the default IP address is 192.168.1.251. For my netgear managed switch, I need set static ip address with ip: 192.168.0.210 and subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 

So to access the switch page, you need find the user guide of your Nortel 5510-24T, it will tell you your defaul ip address of the switch. when you access the switch page, we can talk more detail about setting.

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have exactly the "successful" configuration 

Expert

@wrote:

There is a difference. I use and recommend the below network topology:

ISP Modem\Router => Velop Primary node => managed switch => Velop secondary nodes

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Hey, jnimety, I think chadster 766 recommended you to change your network topology to router mode. Now you are using bridge mode, is that possible for you to change to router mode?

Expert

@wrote:

Hey, jnimety, I think chadster 766 recommended you to change your network topology to router mode. Now you are using bridge mode, is that possible for you to change to router mode?

The topology I recommend is for both Velop router and bridge modes.

For testing switching modes is a good idea.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Maybe I'll try router mode this weekend but that involves reconfiguring my gateway for ip passthrough and there have been mixed results with that configuration. At the moment I want guest networking available with bridge mode. For good measure I just reset my switch to factory defaults, reapplied the vlan tagging configuration, and rebooted all 3 velop nodes. Guest network still doesn't work when connecting to child APs.

I don't have enough ethernet drops to make a hop from the gateway to the primary node and back to the switch.

Can you please get linksys support to test with (a very typical) everything connects directly to the switch scenario?  

@Chadster766  Thanks, well, I'm using router mode and I will test it and post the result here. So currently, I'm setting vlan 2 untagged for the velop lan ports on the switch, accoridng to what you said before, should I set vlan 3&4 tagged only for velop lan ports and delete vlan 2 or I can keep vlan 2 and add vlan3&4 which means vlan 2,3,4 (2 with untagged, 3,4 with tagged/trunk) for the velop lan ports? I guess it's the former one, since vlan 2 is for the basic network comunication. Please confirm it, thanks again!