Re: Velop Working flawlessly in bridge mode

Hi Robalboa,

thanks for sharing your experience. I kind of have the same set-up (EA8500 + 3 velop nodes).

I did a regular installation of the velop nodes through the app, all working fine. Then I put the router back in place, conneted one node and switched the velop to bridge mode (+turned off wifi on the EA as suggested). This setup seems to work fine, except the velop nodes (and thus their settings) are no longer visible in the app. Well one node (the one attached to the EA by cable) is visible, but just as a device. It's nog a big issue atm, but it would be nice to see their status, firmware, IPs, etc.

Do you have the same issue?

Robalboa,
I'm back from out of town, and trying to do as you laid out above. I may be an extreme simpleton, but I'm clearly not understanding the instructions, as I've either taken them too literally, or not literally enough. I had my WRT3200acm online, with my owned modem SB 6190, and powered on one of the Velop nodes. Through the app (the latest Linksys App through the Apple App Store, not the Linksys Connect app), the Velop doesn't even show up on it's own or show as a device connected to the WRT. I then powered off my WRT and re-setup the Velop with one node to start just to see if that's the path I should be on.

When you wrote about plugging in the Velop with the WRT online, did you mean just to power, or connecting it to the router directly via Ethernet. (Disclaimer: I promise I'm not a dumb guy, but sometimes I will do the literal.). I ask all this because I'm not seeing anywhere, whether with the WRT connected to the modem, or the Velop up and running with the modem, how to get to the Bridge Mode through advanced settings anywhere. I'm clearly missing something extremely simple for everyone else here to grasp and comprehend, and I'm wondering if there is anyone who can explain this a bit further for me. Thanks and sorry for the silly questions.

Update:

• I noticed the one node that was visible by the router (the one connected by cable) was reachable by web UI (just surf to IP of node, click on logo, log in, click on CA right bottom).
  • Problem was I did not have the router password (random by default) and there is no other way to change than it through the app (if you don't want to reset and start all over).
  • But... the Velop nodes were no longer visible in the app after switching to bridge mode, as stated in my previous post.
  • So, turned off the router, connected Velop to modem directly, and voila the Velop nodes were visible again in the app and I was able reset the admin password, after entering the code on bottom of node. (fyi resetting password is super buggy had to try like 20 times)
  • Next, with the nodes back in the app and new admin password, I put the router back in place and connected the velop back to the router again. The app now sees the router and the three nodes, can't explain why.
  • To get things organised I went into the router web UI and gave all the nodes a fixed IP, a usefull name and network priority
  • Now i can see everything in the app, but better yet I can reach all devices through the browser for stable and advanced config (for ex 192.168.2.1 is the router, 192.168.2.2 is the node connected by cable to router, 192.168.2.3 is node on first floor, 192.168.2.4 is node on second floor)

very happy with my setup now!

dokktorjones wrote:
Robalboa,
I'm back from out of town, and trying to do as you laid out above. I may be an extreme simpleton, but I'm clearly not understanding the instructions, as I've either taken them too literally, or not literally enough. I had my WRT3200acm online, with my owned modem SB 6190, and powered on one of the Velop nodes. Through the app (the latest Linksys App through the Apple App Store, not the Linksys Connect app), the Velop doesn't even show up on it's own or show as a device connected to the WRT. I then powered off my WRT and re-setup the Velop with one node to start just to see if that's the path I should be on.

When you wrote about plugging in the Velop with the WRT online, did you mean just to power, or connecting it to the router directly via Ethernet. (Disclaimer: I promise I'm not a dumb guy, but sometimes I will do the literal.). I ask all this because I'm not seeing anywhere, whether with the WRT connected to the modem, or the Velop up and running with the modem, how to get to the Bridge Mode through advanced settings anywhere. I'm clearly missing something extremely simple for everyone else here to grasp and comprehend, and I'm wondering if there is anyone who can explain this a bit further for me. Thanks and sorry for the silly questions.

OK does your wrt show connected devices? ill guess. connect the one node directly to the ethernet port of the wrt. second

RESET the First node and use the app (linsys smart wifi) to set up the first velop (keep the other nodes off right now) and SET A ADMIN PASSWORD or it will pick a randon one you wont know

next once you go through the setup of the 1st node keep the app open select add another node and got to the next one and turn it on when it fully boots reset it (or you can rest all of them prior to doing this) next use the smart wifi app to connect the second node.

again like wise to the 3rd and or 4th nodes

next open the app after everything has settled for a minute or 2 and go to your velop go to internet settings and connection type

change that from DHCP to bridge

now wait..............all the nodes will eventually turn blue light

NOW go back into your wrt interface and you can see every device and control it from your WRT there will be no more double nat (one from the wrt and one from the velop in DHCP mode.

make sure you shut off your wrt wifi its not longer needed even more of an interference

;et it settle in a little few minutes and walla full spedd full wifi everywhere no lag flawless.

i can watch 4k video and have 26 device all connected and 1 playinjg ps4 one watching netfix, multiple smart phones video chatting and not one issue

whewww There ya go all for 1  kudos lol but i love linksys

Hey Robalboa, thanks for the reply again. I stayed up late hours last night figuring it out and piecing it all together. I saw another post through the Linksys website and put there directions with your original how-to and I now have the WRT working and all 3 Velop nodes in bridge mode. Not sure it's making the difference I expected, but it's not hurting anything. My Nest cams are not dropping like they were with the Velop alone. They were working fine with just the WRT working alone, but the addition of the Velop hasn't hurt. My main thing now is that it appears the buffering/lag I'm getting from streaming TV is actually from PlayStation Vue at this point. I was able to stream Hulu with no hiccups, and I may have been able to do that before, but I never checked, just assumed I had bad signal to my Fire TVs and Fire Stick. Reading today I found a thread from a bunch of unhappy people over PlayStation Vue and the constant buffering/lag in their streaming. Many quoted problems of lagging and have way higher supposed service speeds than I do. My speed tests (as they did before) show good consistent speeds, not an up and down signal, so I feel good about that. Thanks Robalboa for all of your input, and to everyone else that contributed, I appreciate the help!

I lose access to the admin menus after a few hours in bridge mode.  Get unexpected error 2123 

/jnap/devicelist/GetDevices3

If I power cycle I can access the web interface again for a few hours.

The app just hangs with its in the old condition  - or one time I was able to see devices while in bridge mode. 

The bridge mode error reporting is very poor.   

I am on hold with support now - they want me to power cycle  - thats not a solution. 

Douglas7777 wrote:

I lose access to the admin menus after a few hours in bridge mode.  Get unexpected error 2123 

/jnap/devicelist/GetDevices3

If I power cycle I can access the web interface again for a few hours.

The app just hangs with its in the old condition  - or one time I was able to see devices while in bridge mode. 

The bridge mode error reporting is very poor.   

I am on hold with support now - they want me to power cycle  - thats not a solution. 

I had that problem and cleared my browser cache and it fixed it. 

I was ready to return 5 Velop's to Beat Buy, thought I would try setting the velop system to bridge mode, and WOW!!! I went from the WORST disconects and dropped
Internet every 5 minutes, to PERFECT AMAZING INTERENT!!!! I used my ASUS RT-AC5300 and... happy tears!!! PERFECT COMBO!

Base on my experience with Linksys, they are more focused on selling product than actually making it function correctly!!!!!!!!!

That is 100% correct.

The Velop system is not ready for prime time.