Re: Velop Working flawlessly in bridge mode

I just did a factory reset and added my 3 node velop to my old Asus N66R router in bridge mode.

Wow...what a difference! I am regularly seeing 250 Mbps up and down now. It's only been 1 day...but I also excited at the results so far.

Obviously the velop is not ready for primetime as a router. I essentially bought a $500 3 access point package.

I have the same setup my Asus is in bridge mode with the Velop system and its flawless.

Current set up modem>Asus router>switch>parent Velop node > child nodes.

Do you have it back hauled by Ethernet ?

No, mine is wireless backhaul.

Fiber modem and cable modem (I use 2 internet connections in a standby mode) > Asus router (wireless disabled) > velop parent node

I also have 2 switches connected to my asus router.

Before I made this change, I was getting horrible performance from my velop. I was getting like 15mbps on a gigabit fiber connection and constant disconnects.
Expert

rgtwng wrote:
No, mine is wireless backhaul.

Fiber modem and cable modem (I use 2 internet connections in a standby mode) > Asus router (wireless disabled) > velop parent node

I also have 2 switches connected to my asus router.

Before I made this change, I was getting horrible performance from my velop. I was getting like 15mbps on a gigabit fiber connection and constant disconnects.
Hi

That's curious. I was using a EA9500 router with the following configuration:

modem -> EA9500 -> Switch -> Velop nodes (bridge)

And was getting marginal speed and connectivity (node outages every 30-45 minutes)

I created a Velop master node and moved the EA9500 to a bridge and speed and the reliability improved. This is the configuration I am now using:

modem -> Velop Master -> EA9500 (bridge) -> Switch -> Velop slave nodes (Bridge mode)

This seems to be the reverse of your experience. What firmware version are you using?

Z

Velop firmware is 1.1.2.183316

Asus RT-N66R is Merlin 380.69

I do not have a switch in between the N66R and the Velop Master Node.  I am just using the local switch in/on the N66R

exm

First hook up your router you mentioned . if you have a modem only you are fine if you have a combo modem router from your isp  you want to put that in bridge mode so your wrt can doo all the processing.

Robalboa wrote:

dokktorjones wrote:
I've been frustrated as hell with the Velop system (3 nodes) as my Nest Cams keep dropping and PlayStation Vue through my Fire TV has had persistent lagging and buffering. I want to do what you've done and bridge the Velop with my WRT3200acm. Can you provide the thread that details what you did, because your scenario, including total number of devices, is identical to mine. Thanks in advance!

First hook up your router you mentioned . if you have a modem only you are fine if you have a combo modem router from your isp  you want to put that in bridge mode so your wrt can doo all the processing.

next plug in the velop once you have your wrt online

let the velops reboot and connect may take 5 minutes also since its a new set up you may want to reboot everything once its connected (refering to router and modem)

next now the Linksys app is updated you can  switch velop into bridge mode right from the app (make sure you have updated app)

got to app, login, select your velop it will login to the velop

then got to setting in the app

go to advanced settings 

the on connection type choose bridge mode. and it will reboot into bridge mode you can still access throught the app if needed but you wont need to really.

Next i advise to shut of the wifi on your wrt router and let velop do all wifi and let your router do all hardwired and the velops processing. its a perfect combo and you can see all device straight the the WRT interface control them all.

this is the beast setup. i play COD all the way to 4K 60fps streaming and not one lag spike

got any questions just ask. I will say i dont work here but probably should lol

Question. Right now I'm using a ISP modem and have my 4-node Velop handle everything. No issues. I'm switching to FIOS and they will provide a modem/router combo required for Gigabit. I'll disable the WiFi in the FIOS router, but why can't I let the FIOS router handle everything else and put the Velop in bridge mode? What's the reasoning behing putting another router in between (note: I have an Asus RT-AC66U in storage which was handling my router trafffic before the Velop). But I rather keep it simple.

You can, and it will work great. I'm doing roughly this with my ATT gigapower fiber connection .... ATT Pace Gateway-> PFsense firewall->velop in bridge mode.

Additionally, I haven't, in this configuration, had any of the weird issues mentioned in any of these forums and I'm getting at least 400Mbps to every device in the house from two nodes across 3500sqft

It's ok, we get it, you're a troll and you have had a bad experience .... I'm typing to you across this velop right now. I'm sorry that you suck at networking, mine works.

[ Edited ]

All I can say it does NOT work properly in bridgemode since it will not pass DHCP from the main router (AC87U)

Modem>Router>Switch>Velop LANport = NO DHCP to wireless clients connecting to the Velop WiFi.

If you set static IP it's working but that's not acceptable solution.