01-06-2018 09:19 AM
All I can say it does NOT work properly in bridgemode since it will not pass DHCP from the main router (AC87U)
Modem>Router>Switch>Velop LANport = NO DHCP to wireless clients connecting to the Velop WiFi.
If you set static IP it's working but that's not acceptable solution.
I guess "brain" chill is going to call you and everyone else a "troll" as well. This product does NOT work properly, it has not provided a solution to several network/wifi vulnerabilities and the "support" team has mysteriously deleted my responses. Look at at that...
01-06-2018 09:28 AM - edited 01-06-2018 09:36 AM
Oh well, he can call me wht ever he wants, but he clearly doesn't know s*** about Velop.
If Linksys is deleting reports of bugs that's pathetic.
I'm glad I did test setup before deploing it in to actual use.
On a side note? Who was the braniac that came with the idea that you have to use ios or android app to set it up,
and you can't initially upgrade the Firmware if you dont get internet access to the node it self.
Unbelievable, is this some in developement product we test for them and pay outrages money to purchase it?
02-08-2018 11:01 PM
I had to troubleshoot my bridge mode issue today and found my problem to be different:
- In bridge mode, the Velop should be directly connected to the router that's handing out IP addressed through DHCP
I had the Velop connect to an 8 port swtich which then connects to a Netgear router. Things would probably had been fine if I had a network hub instead of a switch, but what happened was that all the clients connected to the Velop was not able to obtain an IP address, probably because the network switch didn't pass DHCP broadcast request didn't get to my router. Without an IP adderss, my phone couldn't even get the Linksys app to talk to the Velop.
So if you're having trouble with bridge mode, be sure to first do a test by bringing the Velop to the router's physical location and connect the router to the Velop through a single network cable. Good luck!
02-17-2018 12:26 PM
This thread motivated me to give Velop just one more try after trying 3 node, 4 & 5 nodes and after spending a $1k I was highly agitated. My family was consistently telling WiFi was horrible and that this node was orange all the time. I called support 2 times and they were no good yet seeing this thread gave me hope.
I purchased a WRT3200 and configured it and enabled wireless on it -> No Velop -> and then tested for a week. My WiFi was very strong with upwards of 200 Mbps across several devices (iPhone, Laptop, and Fire Stick(s) so I knew we had a working solution to fall back on.
I then attempted to put up a different network and started from scratch with the 3-node. It was a disaster and I was hugely ticked off. The result was that I couldn't get the nodes to recognize each other hence I had a fancy master node and 2/3 nodes *never* came online. I did what I didn't want to do and decided to give support a call and got a guy who was absolutely confused at first when I told him what I was doing. I got his mind settled and told him -> "Get my 3-node working and don't you worry about the fact the master isn't plugged directly into the modem (instead into the 3200)"
He agreed and interesting enough the first thing he asked me is if I could access the nodes from other machines (like a laptop) using wired. I shared that would be no problem. Using #CA, we started by configuring Node 1. There was nothing interesting about this. However, it changed after this. He had me bring the 2nd node in and then use ethernet from node 2 -> master. I didn't do this until after on the #CA I clicked add node. Then plugged this in and interesting find was that master node will configure node 2 via ethernet. I did the same thing for node 3 -> master (node 2 powered off) and it configured it. It ran great as a SSID(2) and I got the speed I wanted.
The last thing I did was rename the SSID to match my 3200 and on the 3200 disabled WiFi and then started testing devices everywhere. It is has been flawless for a couple of weeks.
I have one more twist in my network and that is I run Cujo (www.getcujo.com) that is designed to keep malware out of my internal network. In order to work, it needs to see all traffic and the way this is done is for them to become DHCP. This means my 3200 (router only | No DHCP) and Velops are just clients. This works great and I can manage devices via the Cujo app or via the Linksys app. Happy camper!
I'll update folks a bit later after more time but I'm happy now finally with Velop!
NOTE: The one thing I plan to try is to introduce wired backhaul to Node 2 but nervous at this point and will do after knowing everything is running great.
Xfinity -> Custom Arris Modem -> WRT 3200 -> Velop Master -> Node 2/3
xFinity Blast Pro 250 Mbps
Typical Wifi is > 200 Mbps consistently and I typically have ~20 or so devices with velops, cujo, laptop, desktop, iphone, fire sticks, androids, and kindle fire tablet for kids, vivent skyhome with 4 cameras & doorbell, and ATT microcell.
Thanks for the tip and making me very happy!
02-17-2018 12:57 PM
02-17-2018 04:32 PM
I get it. I have an employee that works for me who is extremely happy with the Google WiFi. If it wasn't for the fact I avoid any Google in my home, I'd likely move to it. I can only hope this luck I'm currently having continues.
02-18-2018 01:32 PM
It's hit or mis with all systems. I had the Orbi before (about a year ago), and it didn't work for me. The Velop is working fine although I have all 4 nodes wires and am using bridge mode.
04-01-2018 12:27 AM