Velop and Plex Remote Access

I've had my Velop system up and running for about two weeks, and the entire time I've been unable to connect to my Plex server remotely. Plex recommends making sure that the router supports UPnP or NAT-PMP and that these are turned on, but I can't find these options anywhere in the Velop app. Can anyone confirm that these are available on the Velop and if so, how can I check that they are enabled?

Previously I was using an Apple Airport Extreme and never had any issues connecting to my Plex server from outside my network.

Administrator

Re: Velop and Plex Remote Access

cosmonauticus wrote:

I've had my Velop system up and running for about two weeks, and the entire time I've been unable to connect to my Plex server remotely. Plex recommends making sure that the router supports UPnP or NAT-PMP and that these are turned on, but I can't find these options anywhere in the Velop app. Can anyone confirm that these are available on the Velop and if so, how can I check that they are enabled?

Previously I was using an Apple Airport Extreme and never had any issues connecting to my Plex server from outside my network.

Hi Cosmonauticus,

Could you share a little bit more detail around your network setup for this one? We use plex here as well for a lot of our testing, and have not had any issues. Am wondering if there might be something we need to tweak with the network environment or plex server settings to get you up and going.

I use my PC as my Plex server, which is connected via ethernet to one of my three Velop nodes. I get great speed on it - about 240 Mbps down and 12 Mbps upload. Prior to using the Velop I was using the AC1900 extender's ethernet jack to connect my PC, and like I said Plex worked well with that setup.

Out of the node that is directly connected to my modem (Netgear CM1000) I have a ethernet switch that I use to hardwire my TV, PS4, and receiver to. Everything else (laptops, phones, iPads, Sonos, Nestcams) runs wirelessly and seems to work great (although I'll randomly experience internet dropouts for a few minutes at a time, which is not something I ever experienced with the Airport Extreme).  

I'm currently using Plex server version 1.3.4.3285

Thanks

Have the same problem..

I am using a mac where the plex server is running on..have a fiber connection without using a modem..

Tried everything but it just doesn´t work..

Troubleshooting says: could be a double nat problem, but first I should switch on the upnp mode which I didn´t found..

Any solution?

THX

Lars

Expert

cosmonauticus wrote:

I use my PC as my Plex server, which is connected via ethernet to one of my three Velop nodes. I get great speed on it - about 240 Mbps down and 12 Mbps upload. Prior to using the Velop I was using the AC1900 extender's ethernet jack to connect my PC, and like I said Plex worked well with that setup.

Out of the node that is directly connected to my modem (Netgear CM1000) I have a ethernet switch that I use to hardwire my TV, PS4, and receiver to. Everything else (laptops, phones, iPads, Sonos, Nestcams) runs wirelessly and seems to work great (although I'll randomly experience internet dropouts for a few minutes at a time, which is not something I ever experienced with the Airport Extreme).  

I'm currently using Plex server version 1.3.4.3285

Thanks

@cosmonauticus

The Velop support UPnP and NAT-PMP automatically. If you can't access the Plex server remotely, make sure that the internal & external port 32400 is manually forwarded within the Velop App under Dashboard\Advanced Settings\Port Settings\Single Port Forwarding\Add a Rule\Select a Device and check if UDP & TCP protocol is used. Also, port forward internal & external port 21 for FTP using UDP & TCP protocol and you should be able to access the Plex remotely. By the way, please provide us the sysinfo in the current state, including the following information: 

* App Version

* Firmware Version

Fate – 21474
Linksys Technical Support

I have the same problem. The single port forwarding solution did not work for me. I thougth maybe one I reset every node it might work but that didn't help either. 

Firmware Version 1.1.1.179155

App Version 2.2.1

Expert

@nkeg,

We will have our 2nd Level Technician look into this matter. Send us an email at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your contact details (phone number and location) and the link to this Community thread.

We're looking forward to hearing from your soon. 

Fate – 21474
Linksys Technical Support
Administrator

nkeg wrote:

I have the same problem. The single port forwarding solution did not work for me. I thougth maybe one I reset every node it might work but that didn't help either. 

Firmware Version 1.1.1.179155

App Version 2.2.1

Hi All,

We would like to get some more detail on this one. We run Plex all the time here for testing, and use it remotely constantly. We have been playing with the setup in single as well as multinode enviornments with no issues streaming locally or remotely. Am wondering if there is something we might be doing different. If you could reach out to our escalation teams that would be very helpful, so we can get you up and running.

~lucas

My problem has been solved. We have Verizon FIOS. After some messing with the router and getting it into bridge mode, it still did not work. After some reasearch I called and did away with the FIOS modem/router combo in favor of eithernet out. This has solved all of my problems. The tech that came out said that I probably have a DNS issue.

Administrator

Got it thanks for the update nkeg. I will ask our esupport to put together a quick internal Knowledge Base article about this one since it seems like a few people are running across this issue.