Velop and TP Link Powerline Gigabit Adapters - Well I thought it was a good idea at the time!

I have a number of TP-Link Gigabit 1200 powerline adapters kicking around and wondered if I could use them for backhaul... I'll save anyone the trouble!

It does work, although too be honest it slowed it all down painfully. Not sure if it's the wiring in the house but I can normally get 200-300mbps on the powerline adapters.

However, I was getting 250-350mbps on the velop (in velop mode) and then plugged cat7 into the back of each node and into each powerline adapter and the speeds dropped to 50-80mbps. Unplugged them again and speed back up to 250+mbps... hmm maybe not then.

Also fiddling around in "Bridge" mode, can't see massive improvement over "Normal" mode. I'm using a Tilgin Fibre Modem/Router with wifi disabled and velop master node plugged into that. I have an EA8300 kicking around I'd like to incorporate and may set the Tilgin into modem only and utilise the EA8300 as the main switch... dunno!?

Anybody else done anything regards best practice setup to incorporate existing modem/router and then bolt in EA8300 as the switch?

Be nice if you could set the EA8300 as primary node and then make 3 velop slave's off of it... but then that would just be too good.

Re: Velop and TP Link Powerline Gigabit Adapters - Well I thought it was a good idea at the time!

How are you testing your speed?  I have TP-Link 2000's im setting up for outdoor security cams, but the TP-Link app shouldnt be affected by the Velop?  I have my tp-links go into a switch prior to the Velop.

Re: Velop and TP Link Powerline Gigabit Adapters - Well I thought it was a good idea at the time!

Hi

2 laptops 1 at each end and sending a 1GB file through and timing it in essence.

Plugged into the TP-Link as backhaul and the time taken doubles for some weird reason, shame... as I thought it was a great idea. Take it out of the tp-link and send the file... speed vastly increases.

Appreciate not highly scientific but tested same file with cable in and out about 30 times... very similar results for both sets.

Maybe the 2000 better firmware etc... no new firmware on the 1200's since 2016, these are V1... may have been some improvements since then.

Cheers

Hi

This is one of those ask the forum questions....

Why when I do actually manage to connect to 5ghz channel and get approx 260-350mbps via a speed test on my kodi box, why when I plug a cat7 cable into the ethernet port of the velop node that is running @260-350mbps does it drop to 94mbps... it's like the throughput on the wifi will only go as fast as the ethernet.

Forgive my stupidity but I thought backhaul was just that and it wouldn't have any effect on the wifi data speed? Or am I missing the point? 

I sort of expected if anything a slight front end wifi performance gain i.e. my 260-350mbps might trott along at 290-390mbps and the backhaul traffic would go directly via the ethernet.

Again to be fair I am using the above powerline adapters as they normally trott along at around 100mbps in both directions.

Any ideas? Or can someone shine the light into my slightly addled brain? Smiley Very Happy

[ Edited ]

@Pettal

Hi there! We'd like to get this sorted out. We're a little bit confused about the setup that you have. Is its not too much to ask, could you give us a clearer picture as to how these devices are connected to each other? Also, have you tried using another CAT7 cable into the ethernet port on the Velop to see if it goes the same way? Make sure that the Velop's firmware is up to date.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support

Hi Carl

I've just been playing around and binned out the EA8300 I was using as the switch... works like a charm now!

Setup is:

ONT -> Tilgin Modem/Router -> Velop Master (wired into Tilgin & Wired into Master Powerline) -> Velop Slave 1 (Wired into slave powerline 1) -> Velop Slave 2 (Wired into slave powerline 2)

Velops in bridge mode, currently getting 318mbps download and 103.75mbps upload

That's not bad considering I've found out the fiber exchange on my side of town has an issue, so I'm getting sub 1gbps mainline speeds (circa 600-700mbps at the moment)

I take it back! TP-Link Powerline's work great as back haul!!!!! Smiley Surprised)))))

Cheers

P

Sadly, I take it all back... left it running with no changes and went home at lunchtime did a speed test and now I'm back down to 90mbps.

Checked on main Tilgin router and connected directly in and got 940mbps. So tried the usual:

Restarted velop from the app - No Change

Scanned Channels - No Change

Switched everything off and back on again - No Change

Scanned Channel Again - No Change

Forget connections on everything attached to wifi and reconnected - No Change

So I'm left with having to scrub the Velop, reset and setup again... I suspect that will fix it... again.... for 24 hours.

I've noticed several threads on here about people having to reset their velops daily. Is there a fix? is there a solution guide as to how to how to fix as I assume the velop support desk has had a fair few of these?

Personally I don't have time to hang about on a phone with support, I work 12-14 hours days and when I get home it's gone 9pm and I just expect things like this to just work... not need tinkering with every day.

Getting more and more hacked off with Velop considering the amount of money and now time I seem to be investing in this product.

Expert

You most likely connected to the 2.4Ghz when you walked into the location. Disconnect and reconnect then do the www.speedtest.net

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Nah checked that and was connected to 5ghz with very good connection

Actually connected to the Velop Node that is 0.1m away, showing 5bars and on my wifi scanner app on the Kodi box I am using to test the speed it was showing -10db

Physically, I can't get the node and the kodi box (Side Loaded Amazon TV) any closer without smashing them into one another... something that has crossed my mind in the last 4 hours Smiley Mad

Still 80-90mbps. Tried resetting the AmazonTV, forgetting network and reconnecting and making sure the 5ghz channel was selected. I have even connected my laptop to the same node @5ghz and speed check was 95mbps. So I think we can rule out other hardware.

Let me wipe the nodes and re-setup... pretty convinced that will shift it... and then someone can tell me how to avoid doing that every day.

Expert

How many wireless clients are connected when you did your last testing and were the using bandwidth at the time?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support