Velop for 3 story house?

I have a three story house (two floors and a finished attic).  
My main internet connection is on the first floor and I'm trying to find a way to get decent internet up to my finished attic without running wires through the walls. 

I was considering a mesh system but was worried that the nodes might not link well vertically.  I was thinking of the 3 piece system, the main node on my first floor, the 2nd node right above that on the 2nd floor and the third node up in the attic.  

Would this set up give me streaming/gaming speeds in the attic?

Is three nodes overkill?  Could I potentially get by with two nodes...placing the 2nd node on either the 2nd or attic level?

Any other solution/product suggestion would be appreciated too.   

Re: Velop for 3 story house?

Hi @Alex 7

I'm afraid to say that you won't find too many folks around here recommending the Velop. Lots of us find it very unreliable. Maybe that's why we're here - trying desperately to get a working system! Smiley Happy Have a read through recent posts on this forum to get a feel for people's feelings - eg https://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/WARNING-to-potential-Velop-buyers/td-p/12850...

IF the Velop works for you (and that was a very big if) then it's very hard to say whether you'll need 2 or 3 (or more) nodes - it depends on the layout and materials in your house. 

My best advice would be to try other products than the Linksys at this stage. If I was buying right now I'd try the Asus AIMesh - though given the horrible experience I have had with the Velops over the past months I would

1 - buy from a reputable retailer who will take returns

2 - run my existing wifi network in parallel with my new one until I was sure that the new one works

(That latter point is about family relationships Smiley Happy )

Good luck!

I'm currently using the three node solution in my 3-storey house. Its a new build, so there's steel and insulation between the floors, but not much else. Not many internal solid brick walls either.

I think you could survive with two nodes - I did try it out for a while, and could get at least 3 out 5 bar signal in every room, without a huge drop in speed. That being said, I use it for light to medium use, rather than any heavy downloading or streaming.

I have my three Velops all on ethernet backhaul, using a netgear switch. Max I have about 8 devices connected at any one time, so haven't really "stress tested" the system.

There are alot of people on this forum dissatisfied with Velop, but you have to remember that people usually only go onto forums to complain. All the happy Velop users have no use for this forum. So far in the three months since getting Velop, I've been fairly happy with the service. Not 10/10 but probably around 8/10.

Pros:

- I'm getting my full speed in almost every room (I have a 80meg connection)

- Latency is a non-issue

- Uptime is pretty reliable

Cons:

- expected more features in the app and controls available

- there has been 5-10 times when a node has restarted itself while I was using a device, and I noticed the dropped signal for a a minute or two

- handoff can be better, I have had to force an on/off the wifi to get it to connect to a strong node a few times

Its definitely not an amazing value for money system, nor is it a system chock full of controls for pros. I think those are the two complains you'll see most on this forum. 

Expert

@Alex7wrote:

I have a three story house (two floors and a finished attic).  
My main internet connection is on the first floor and I'm trying to find a way to get decent internet up to my finished attic without running wires through the walls. 

I was considering a mesh system but was worried that the nodes might not link well vertically.  I was thinking of the 3 piece system, the main node on my first floor, the 2nd node right above that on the 2nd floor and the third node up in the attic.  

Would this set up give me streaming/gaming speeds in the attic?

Is three nodes overkill?  Could I potentially get by with two nodes...placing the 2nd node on either the 2nd or attic level?

Any other solution/product suggestion would be appreciated too.   

Hi Alex --

I need a little more information in order to help.

What is the exact configuration of the system you're planning? For example:

ISP -> modem -> Master Velop (router) -> Slave Velop (wireless)

What is your current ISP downlink bandwidth?

What is the construction material of the walls in your house?

Have you though about acquiring two nodes and then evaluating the performace (if you need a third node)?

How many other SSIDs are there in your neighborhood? Co-channel interference? How close are the other nodes?

Z

I have a 3 story house and have a full height void with a velop node at the top of the void and a velop on the floor of the void
The floor node did not see the top node when i had them set up purely vertically, i had to push the bottom one out horizontally as well for it to be seen, and this was through a vo I d!

How many square feet on each floor? It depends on the layout of your house,but i have 2 story house with finished basement and each floor is about 950 square feet, When they say that one node covers about 2k sq feet, they know what they are talking about. I disconnected second node and put it back in the box as one node on 2nd floor was able to cover whole house without any issues. If you have too many nodes you may run into issues with interference and clients not switching to closer node as signal is still strong enough from different node. 

My friend setup 3 nodes in his 3500 square feet ranch houseand was whining that his cell phone does not switch between the nodes when moving around the house. He disconnected third node and everything is still working fine. I asked him not to check Velop app if he is not experiencing connectivity issues.