Re: Velop in Bridge Mode Failed to Obtain IP Adress

ankushk - My network topology is almost identical with the exception that pfSense is my router. (Way overkill for most household requirements). Sounds like you're not receiving DHCP from your primary router. 10.71... is a Class "A" address that you are probably getting from the modem and passing through your primary router and access points. The primary router may be in bridge mode as well in which case you need to redo that part of the network. I would revisit the primary router with a laptop on the LAN side to verify that I am in fact receiving the appropriate address via DHCP. If your primary router is giving you the correct address, log in to the primary router and see what your DHCP leases are listed as being assigned to the VELOP devices. Those have a browser based config as well.

Hey Jeff,

I checked the router, it is in routing mode and not 'bridge' mode. Its getting a WAN from the modem and then creating 192.168.14.0/24 DHCP leases as i've set it to be that way. In the diag report, its showing 192.168.14.127 as the Internet address and this is correct; from my wired desktop I can access the Velop main page, so no problems there.

The 10.71.* was created by Velop automatically when it switched to Bridge mode. i'll try using a different router when im home tonight but i doubt it will be any different.

Thank you for trying to help me out!

Ankushk

Good luck. For the record, I happened past the Orbi 3x set at the Costco. Picked it up and set it up - much, much better for my needs. Instead of 6 nodes (and yes, I now see that the more nodes may be WORSE and not better) the 3 Orbi's are working much better for my needs in my house (your results may vary). No more drops. No more reseting the iOS devices every 15 minutes.

The Netgear approach is much more open - the Web Interface offers a LOT more customization. I strongly recommend anyone with even moderately advanced skills to consider the Orbi. Sonos works flawlessly too. (I had to manually upgrade the Orbi firmware, but that was not only possible, it was easy to do). And the Orbi offers an Access Point only service similar to the 'Bridge Mode' on the Velop.

It's too bad - I really wanted the Velop to work. But this stuff simply shouldn't be this hard. Now to get my money back from the Velop fiasco...

Seems like the Linksys tech folks on this board (and on the phone service) are very good. It's a shame that they're not getting the support they need from engineering (firmware updates?) and the even more senior people.

Alright seems like i've gotten somewhere!!

I connected another spare wireless router to my existing network and set it up in routing mode with the IP subnet 192.168.0.1/24. I connected my pc to it and confirmed it was online & could browse the net. I then connected the parent Velop to one of the ethernet outs in bridged mode and saw from the pc that it picked up a DHCP address within a few minutes; i could now access its webpage. I then joined one of my devices to the Velop network and bam.. it connected. Tried both ios and android, and they connected. The proper DHCP addresses were populating on the spare router for my wireless devices.

What did I learn from this -> Velop does NOT like to be connected to an existing switch while being in bridged mode and must be connected to the router directly. Velop in routing mode works fine though.

Next I took the Velop to my existing router running on the 192.168.14.* home network. I connected it to one of the ethernet outs on the router and turned it on; after a few minutes I could see it on the router's DHCP list and could connect to it. My test devices connected fine again. I then went to grab another wireless device and tried to connect, it failed!! Turned the wireless setting off and on again and nothing. I then rebooted the actual router, then the Velop and turned the wireless setting to off on the device. Waited a few minutes for everything to come online and then I turned the wireless setting on and tried to connect. It took about 15 seconds and then boom it connected! Did it with the Sonos speaker and it worked too.

What did I learn from this -> From what I personally understand, looks like the router wasn't releasing the DHCP addresses for the already connected devices from memory when they were being connected to the Velop and hence not assigning an IP to it. This may be happening to many of you as well. Another method would be to keep turn wireless device off and expire the DHCP lease manually or wait till it expires automatically (~3-4days) or of course, reboot!

Time to connect the other node! So I read in one of the other threads that in order to use ethernet backhaul for the child node, it either needs to be connected directly to the parent Velop or to a switch which in turn is connected to the Velop. So i did that and after a few minutes the child node came online. Hurray! All connected devices are using my original network subnet. Now to wait for some guests to arrive with new devices, so I can test to see if my above logic works...

Old network model --- Modem -> Router (DHCP/DNS, Routing mode) ->  Switch (which includes all wired devices) -> Velop (parent bridged) -> Velop (child bridged)

New network model --- Modem -> Router (DHCP/DNS, Routing mode) -> Velop (parent bridged) -> Switch (which includes all wired devices) -> Velop (child bridged)

Advice here would be to turn off/unplug all wireless devices, disable the existing wireless radios on the router (to avoid conflicts), reboot the router and then connect the bridged Velop(s). Turn the wireless device on and hopefully it should connect Smiley Happy 

I'm pulling my hair for the past couple hours to get this working.

What a POS sysstem this isSmiley Mad

linksys should be ashamed to get this out to market with basic features so screwd up.

Did I mention how much I HATE the stupid app you must use?!

Thanks to the poster above for the findings.

Unfortunatelly I will not keep this piece of junk.

I'm done with you Linksys!

I just bought a Velop system and have the same issue.  Clients can't obtain an IP address in bridge mode and end up defaulting to a 169.XXX.XXX.XXX address.  I've used other mesh systems in the same mode and have never had any issues.  Looks like I'll be taking this back.

I already took it back, the vendor wasn't surprised and told me they have any complaints nd returns

Do I see fire sale in the future? 😁

hey @gtatl, Did you try the steps above which i have written? Try connecting the bridged mode Velop to a spare dlink/linksys/netgear router and see if you still get the 169** address.

It's pretty disappointing that I couldn't get basic bridge mode functionality to work.  I've been doing this with other wireless routers for more than 10 years.  I tried a few different ways with no luck - each time getting the same result that clients can't get a DHCP address from the primary router.

[ Edited ]

@ankushk

Thanks for your detailed writeup and suggestions.  I'm really glad it worked for you.  I may give it a try when I have a chance in the next few days.  But honestly, if setting it up is going to require that level of effort and workaround - potentially every time the power goes out, I need to cycle the network, etc. - I'll probably just take it back and get something else.