Velop in Bridge Mode Failed to Obtain IP Adress

So I had purchased a velop node a few weeks ago. I'm not the most familiar with advanced router settings but I've been trying to learn. Basically the reason purchase for the velop was to add an extra router to my existing home network so we could have chromecast throughout the house without lag ( we were having some lag from our existing Netgear router). I had set the Velop router up fine in default settings, but quickly came to realize that if i'm connected on one of the networks from our existing router, we could not get through to the chromecasts connected to the velop system or even print anything. I attempted to put the velop into bridge mode and had success connecting to the chromecasts ( which are now connected to the velop) while connected to the Netgear network. When trying to connect to the router with phones or tablets, I keep getting the error "Failed to obtain IP address". I can rarely ever connect to the new velop system. I tried resetting the router and also tried to make a static IP however I had no success doing either of those things. My current setup is:

Modem >> Netgear Router (PC, Printer, Velop all connected via LAN ports) >> Velop 

I've read online about cascading routers. At first i tried folling this link:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=132275

However the velop system is a little different as it is a smart wi-fi router.

I also looked at the smart wifi router cascading via

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140371

Looking at this link the router is basically backwards of what my setup is (PC and other devices hooked up to primary router).

I guess I am wondering if there's a fix for the IP address issue or if I'm setting it up wrong and have to change the IP adresses and make them static. Once i get this fixed I would like to run the velop to the other side of my house so we can have internet throughout the house with no dead zones. Thank you for any help and suggestions

Re: Velop in Bridge Mode Failed to Obtain IP Adress

Hi, auko12. For setting up your Velop system to Bridge mode, please refer to this link instead: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=243548 Should you encounter the same setback, try to use the node as your main router, and observe the connection. 

Kloe-21503
Linksys Technical Support

I believe that I am experiencing the same problem. When we have power outages (quite often), the Velop system boots faster than my router and therefore assigns a 169 address to the node. When the router finishes booting, the Velop node fails to renew it’s up address. I should be able to assign a static IP address to the Velop node when it’s in bridge mode.

I am not trying to hijack your post, but I believe this is the same issue.

Hello, jeffellington. We'd like to have our Escalation Engineers look into your case further. It seems that your Velop System setup needs to be thoroughly verified. Please email your valid phone number and home address to LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can queue you in.

Harvey - 21598
Linksys Technical Support

@linksys support

from several posts i see that this issue is very well know.

When will you fix this problem?

My mobile is always stuck. Tying to obtain IP!!!! after a very long time it works.

And sometimes I walk around and if it hits the other Node I see again "obtaining IP address". Seamless Roaming is something different.

Please get this fixed asap!!!!!!

see output. DHCP enabled. NOOOOO. With bridge mode DHCP SHOULD not be enabled.

Firmware Version: 1.1.2.181801
Serial Number: 20J10C6C659869
Current Router Time: Friday, 11 August 2017 18:12:20 (GMT +02:00)
Current Browser Time: Friday, 11 August 2017 18:12:21 (GMT +02:00)
Internet MAC Address: 14:91:82:88:AF:80
Server Name: Linksys59869
Host Name: Linksys59869
Domain Name: Lounge-Turbo

Connection Type: Bridge   <================================ bridge Mode
Internet Address: 192.168.200.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.200.1
DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 192.168.200.1
DNS3:  
MTU: Auto
DHCP Lease Time: 1440 Minutes

Connection Type: Disconnected
Internet Address:  
Default Gateway:  
DNS1:  
DNS2:  
DNS3:  
DHCP Lease Time:  

Local MAC Address: 14:91:82:88:AF:80
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.1
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IPv6 Link-Local Address: fe80:0000:0000:0000:1691:82ff:fe88:af80
Prefix Address:  

DHCP Server: Enabled  <=============================??????????
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.10
End IP Address: 192.168.1.254
Client lease time: 1440 Minutes
Static DNS 1:  
Static DNS 2:  
Static DNS 3:  
WINS: 

thx

Expert

I recommend you Private Message me for either firmware downgrade instructions or request to participate as a beta tester so you can see if the beta resolves your issue. AFAIK the beta does resolve or at least help with the Bridge Mode DHCP issue.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Hi chadster766

how on hell should a downgrade help??? 

This bridge mode is a new feature. If this is known bug, you know exactly when this is fixed.

Please send the the details for the beta firmware testing. 

I will be very dissapointing if I have to use the Velop as a WLAN router because Linksys can't write a code that support Velop as Bridge.

thx

Expert

Jerry4u wrote:

Hi chadster766

how on hell should a downgrade help??? 

This bridge mode is a new feature. If this is known bug, you know exactly when this is fixed.

Bridge Mode was supported from the start but just not officially:

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/Bridge-Mode-a-semi-unofficial-official-guide/...

Linksys
Expert

Jerry4u wrote:

Hi chadster766

Please send the the details for the beta firmware testing. 

Private Message me the below information by clicking on my forum username:

Subject: Velop Beta Firmware Request

Full Name

Address State and Country

Email address to send the Beta Tester Agreement to

Linksys

Im having the exact same issue.

Got this for Christmas.. Everything connected fine by performing the normal setup and I could browse the net. Using the app i then switched it to Bridge mode so i could use my existing router, Velop rebooted, and two of my test devices (android phone and ipad) could not connect afterwards. Its stuck trying to obtain an IP address and plain fails. When i manually set the static IP on the device, i could then connect and see my existing network.

Im using the latest firmware 1.1.2.183316

What should i do next? Please assist