Expert

Re: Velop often disconnected from internet

Joe Clean wrote:

Giftera wrote:
My router is a Google network box for Google fiber, the fiber box runs ipv4 and ipv6. What do you want to see from the routing table

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a very busy Monday.

Oh, I don't know anything about Google network box, don't have Google fiber on where I live.

If you're experiencing internet drops too, that means the Velop isn't compatible with Google network box then.

Does it (Google network box) has this IPv4 Routing setting:

IMG_0518.png

If yes, could you show us what's in there?

FYI, my Velop (3 nodes) haven't disconnected for straight five days now...

Hopefully we can use my solution, since the Velop team hasn't been able to come up with a real fix.

This Static Route shouldn't be required. What is your Internet Settings in this device?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Hey, I'll try to help, but unfortunately on both the Velop (Bridge Mode) and the Google Network Box there just aren't very many things to change. Its interesting to note that while the GNB sets IPv6 address, the Velop Router does not recognize/display them. I also finally found the web interface on the desktop version of the website allowing me to login... may be useful in sending diagnostic information, but I'm not holding my breath... directing me to "login locally at http://Linksys##### which is a dead link... I think the easiest and best fix would be to put in the firmware that if the system goes red light to power cycle after x minutes.

chadster766 wrote:

This Static Route shouldn't be required. What is your Internet Settings in this device?

Says you, but it work out fine for my problem, the Velop doesn't disconnected from the internet anymore.

It's been straight five days without internet drops, that's a blessing compared to a couple or three times a day of resetting the Velop before this. Three times resetting in a day, imagine that.

Sometimes the silliest, or dare I say the stupidiest method actually fix the problem...

The internet setting on the ZTE modem is set to PPPoE from the ISP.

Giftera wrote:

Hey, I'll try to help, but unfortunately on both the Velop (Bridge Mode) and the Google Network Box there just aren't very many things to change. Its interesting to note that while the GNB sets IPv6 address, the Velop Router does not recognize/display them. I also finally found the web interface on the desktop version of the website allowing me to login... may be useful in sending diagnostic information, but I'm not holding my breath... directing me to "login locally at http://Linksys##### which is a dead link... I think the easiest and best fix would be to put in the firmware that if the system goes red light to power cycle after x minutes.

Power cycling the Velop is not right for a mesh-WiFi as expensive as the Velop.

I really recommend adding another router inbetween the Google network box and the Velop main node.

Silly, yes. But it's cheap, easy, and it works.

At least that works for me, as of this writing it's been straight five days without internet drop anymore.

That's better than power cycling the Velop every XX minutes.

Hopefully it'll work for you too.

Expert

Joe Clean wrote:

chadster766 wrote:

Says you, but it work out fine for my problem, the Velop doesn't disconnected from the internet anymore.

It's been straight five days without internet drops, that's a blessing compared to a couple or three times a day of resetting the Velop before this. Three times resetting in a day, imagine that.

Sometimes the silliest, or dare I say the stupidiest method actually fix the problem...

The internet setting on the ZTE modem is set to PPPoE from the ISP.

I understand that this works for you and isolates the issue to the ZTE modem\router.

I use Static Routes all the time in my Cisco IOS routers and switches, mostly for enterprise purposes.

It's very strange that telling the ZTE router that it's LAN IP Subnet 192.168.1.0/24 is reachable through it WAN PPPoe Interface on router 192.168.1.1 (itself) Smiley Very Happy

Normally in routers once a PPPoe is connected the router will create a default route 0.0.0.0/0 to the next hop ISP router.

Just for kicks what does the ZTE Routing Table display.

Linksys

[ Edited ]

chadster766 wrote:

I understand that this works for you and isolates the issue to the ZTE modem\router.

I use Static Routes all the time in my Cisco IOS routers and switches, mostly for enterprise purposes.

It's very strange that telling the ZTE router that it's LAN IP Subnet 192.168.1.0/24 is reachable through it WAN PPPoe Interface on router 192.168.1.1 (itself) Smiley Very Happy

Normally in routers once a PPPoe is connected the router will create a default route 0.0.0.0/0 to the next hop ISP router.

Just for kicks what does the ZTE Routing Table display.

Yup, that's why I was asking others (who have the same problem like mine) what are their modem's brand.

Maybe, the problem got to do with certain modem brands which have routing setting like this ZTE modem I have.

My quick hypothesis is the Velop confused requesting internet connection to the ZTE modem, because apparently somehow the ZTE modem's routing setting need to be set (value entered/route added) even though logically it shouldn't be / required.

I see this problem (internet disconnections) is a widespread issue for the Velop, lots of similar complaints in this forum, most probably because every modem routers out there require the same routing setting.

Maybe that's why Linkys, especially the Velop team, couldn't remedy the problem with firmware updates because the problem lies with the modem router, not the Velop settings itself.

The Velop team should test it with lots and lots of different modem routers, not just with their own brand (Linksys) modem routers, because even a Google network box is having the same problem like this.

I really hope this will help others who have the same problem.

Expert

[ Edited ]

It will be interesting to see the results of others users giving your solution a try.

Linksys

Given how fed up I am with dropouts, I am willing to be a guinea pig here.

I run a Asus RT-N66U, with stock current firmware. My route input screen is as below. Please tell me what to enter in each field.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 07.37.34.png

PianSom wrote:

Given how fed up I am with dropouts, I am willing to be a guinea pig here.

I run a Asus RT-N66U, with stock current firmware. My route input screen is as below. Please tell me what to enter in each field.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 07.37.34.png

Me too, I was about to give up on the Velop just before this last effort, thank goodness it works otherwise I'll have to retire early $350 worth mesh-WiFi for nothing. Infact, I've already browsed two other mesh-WiFi brands and seriously considered replacing the Velop.

Okay hopefully this will work for you:

• In the Network/Host IP insert the value of your network IP address, since you didn't provide the IP address then I assume you're using the usual 192.1681.1 address for the Asus RT-N66U? If yes, insert 192.168.1.0 here.
  • In the Netmask insert value of 255.255.255.0
  • In the Gateway insert value of 192.168.1.1, the same IP address of your Asus RT-N66U IP address.
  • I don't know about the Metric, how about if you leave it blank, will it work or will the Asus RT-N66U ask a value?
  • For the Interface keep the LAN value, just out of curiosity; besides LAN what the other option available? Wireless?

Let me know how it goes.

[ Edited ]

Well, this morning I woke up and went to check my email on my phone and I couldn't see my new emails, normally this means node offline but every node was still up. Cycled my phone wifi and that didn't help.... but my laptop wifi is up and running with a reserved IP address... gonna dig deeper to see if I can isolate the issue