Expert

Re: Velop often disconnected from internet

Joe Clean wrote:

chadster766 wrote:

Hi Joe,

It's probably something to do with your modem or network setup since others are no longer reporting this issue. (At least user reports of this have drastically dropped)

Chad,

If that's the case, then I'd like to know which setup is wrong.

FYI I left the modem setup as it is from the ISP, I've checked there seems nothing suspicious or strange from the settings, but then I might wrong because I'm not a network expert.

Sure lets look into that.

Is your modem configured in Bridge Mode and if it's capable of wireless is the wireless disabled?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

chadster766 wrote:

Is your modem configured in Bridge Mode and if it's capable of wireless is the wireless disabled?

No, the modem is configured using PPPoE, its wifi is disabled.

The Velop first node is connected to the modem using ethernet / RJ45, while the rest of the nodes are connected to the first node by wifi.

The Velop internet setting is configured as DHCP (automatic configuration), so does its Local Network setting is set as DHCP Server. Advanced Routing> NAT is on.

Administration> all of the settings here is checked / on.

Expert

Joe Clean wrote:

chadster766 wrote:

No, the modem is configured using PPPoE, its wifi is disabled.

The Velop first node is connected to the modem using ethernet / RJ45, while the rest of the nodes are connected to the first node by wifi.

The Velop internet setting is configured as DHCP (automatic configuration), so does its Local Network setting is set as DHCP Server. Advanced Routing> NAT is on.

Administration> all of the settings here is checked / on.

Could you instead configure the modem to Bridge Mode and configure the PPPoe in the Primary Velop node?

Linksys

[ Edited ]

chadster766 wrote:

Could you instead configure the modem to Bridge Mode and configure the PPPoe in the Primary Velop node?

Don't want to do that, putting the Velop into Bridge Mode means losing most of its smart features.

It's also make it feels like no different than wifi extender.

But, that (Bridge Mode) is my last resort if nothing works, and if the Velop system keep disconnected from the internet.

Expert

Joe Clean wrote:

chadster766 wrote:

Don't want to do that, putting the Velop into Bridge Mode means losing most of its smart features.

It's also make it feels like no different than wifi extender.

But, that (Bridge Mode) is my last resort if nothing works, and if the Velop system keep disconnected from the internet.

Sorry you misunderstand I only mention Bridge Mode in the modem not the Velop primary.

Linksys

Paying close attention to this. I have had drops after the new 183316 update but I haven't reset my velop to factory settings since first receiving it and my 2 secondary modes have always been connected by Ethernet after first setup.

I have never looked at the modem/router software that the cable company gave us so I assume it's a standard setting that is probably not bridge mode? But the wireless has always been turned off.

I can try and tinker with it starting tomorrow afternoon. It's at least good to hear that reports of dropped connections has stopped.

I really do wish that the cable company had given us a straight up modem only as I think I have always had issues with these modem router combos. Especially since I like to use my own router and not the one provided.

[ Edited ]

chadster766 wrote:

Sorry you misunderstand I only mention Bridge Mode in the modem not the Velop primary.

Oops, my bad.

It's around 2:00AM when I replied your message, sorry about that.

I'd try set the modem into Bridge Mode as a last resort, because the modem is also used for telephone (VoIP) and media box (IPTV), so setting it into the Bridge Mode will elminate both of them.

Both of the VoIP and IPTV comes as one service from the ISP who provided the modem.

Perhaps, not both of them because the IPTV uses LAN / ethernet to the media box, so maybe I can plug it from the Velop node to the media box later (after I set the modem into Bridge Mode). But that's still uncertain, since I know there's a specific setting in the modem to allow IPTV through a certain ethernet port, otherwise the IPTV won't work.

But if I make the modem into Bridge Mode, I definitely lose the VoIP, because it need the telephone port / jack straight from the back of the modem.

BootlegSnackz wrote:
Paying close attention to this. I have had drops after the new 183316 update but I haven't reset my velop to factory settings since first receiving it and my 2 secondary modes have always been connected by Ethernet after first setup.

I have never looked at the modem/router software that the cable company gave us so I assume it's a standard setting that is probably not bridge mode? But the wireless has always been turned off.

I can try and tinker with it starting tomorrow afternoon. It's at least good to hear that reports of dropped connections has stopped.

I really do wish that the cable company had given us a straight up modem only as I think I have always had issues with these modem router combos. Especially since I like to use my own router and not the one provided.

Please do let us know how it goes.

The ISPs love giving out modem router because they bought it for cheap in quantity, and they don't really like we thinker it to combine it with our own router, especially the field engineer who have to come to our house if something goes wrong.

I'm very sad to report that today I've given in to this Velop disconnections and finally use the Bridge Mode on the Velop so hopefully it'll stop.

I lost some advanced features of the Velop by doing this, but I'm desperate since the Velop keep disconnecting itself even with the newest firmware.

For admin information; the Velop keep disconnecting from the internet even in its latest firmware: v1.1.2.183316

Yesterday was the worst; the Velop disconnected three times in a day.

If the Velop still disconnected in the Bridge Mode, I'm selling it and switch to other branded WiFi mesh system.

So I did switch to a modem I purchased myself today after not being able to connect to the supplied modem/router gateway directly through it's internet address. I reset the whole 3 node velop system and reconnected everything back. Wired both satellite nodes after setting them up wirelessly.

Still had one disconnect so far but it came back exceptionally quick. Hoping after more time I can report some success but will wait this one out a bit.