Expert

Re: Velop often disconnected from internet

Hi, Joe Clean. Should the Velop still drops even when you set it to Bridge Mode, email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your name, phone #, community username and the link to this post. We'll have our Escalation Engineers assist you further.

Chris-21499
Linksys Technical Support

BootlegSnackz wrote:
So I did switch to a modem I purchased myself today after not being able to connect to the supplied modem/router gateway directly through it's internet address. I reset the whole 3 node velop system and reconnected everything back. Wired both satellite nodes after setting them up wirelessly.

Still had one disconnect so far but it came back exceptionally quick. Hoping after more time I can report some success but will wait this one out a bit.

What's your Velop's internet setting? Is it Automatic - DHCP?

Christopher_S wrote:

Hi, Joe Clean. Should the Velop still drops even when you set it to Bridge Mode, email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your name, phone #, community username and the link to this post. We'll have our Escalation Engineers assist you further.

Christopher,

Just today, the other nodes couldn't connect to the main node.

But when I went to look the main node, it was good, the LED light was blue, while the other two nodes were red.

I had to manually reboot the other two nodes to make them on-line again, but I left the main node as it was since it was fine.

How to access the other two nodes when they're in Bridge Mode and find out what went wrong?

FYI the main node address has become: "http://linksys46471.local" when the Internet Setting was changed to Bridge Mode.

Expert

You can still follow the same procedure on how to access the Setup Page of your nodes. For the step-by-step procedure on how to log in to the Linksys Velop's web interface, click here. Nonetheless, we'd like to have our Escalation Engineers walk you through the process and investigate things further on what's causing the child nodes to go red. Email us the details aforementioned above and we'll assist you further from there.

Chris-21499
T63

Same issue, I play League of legends most days and i get disconnected in game constantly. After running ping tracking software for the last few days where it constantly pings from my PC to the modem ( as i want to see if the problem is the velop after reading all this) it is clear that Velop drops the internet connection between itself and the modem constantly although intermittently for 1-5 secs at a time.

Whilst it does recover, this doesn't help you when you get killed in competition games each time you disconnect.

I changed my routers, modem etc but the only thing that helped was to use a different modem and Ethernet over wire devices or Access points. Getting rid of Velop is the only solution so far that works. All this nonsense of swapping around Velop and cables etc works only if a device/cable has a physical problem which is rare as this is all new. New firmware sure...we all have upgraded. STILL DOESNT stop disconnecting from the internet. Any cheap 30 USD router from china can stay connected to the internet without dropping this signal every few minutes for no reason. Why does this expensive new "top of the line" system do it? Please Linksys fix it or refund.
T63

Sorry that should read 'use a different router and AP's' (not modem). If you use a different router and use the velop purely as wifi extensions, fine for day to day Phone/Ipad use but it will still drop the connection to the router periodically so dont use it for gaming.

The average user may not notice a drop of 1-5 secs of internet so it may not have bothered the majority of users...but any power user will get sick of it fast.

My setup is 3 Velop. (A) is connected to the modem and is the main. From there a cable runs to (B) at far end of house and in between is (C) which can connect to either A or C depending on signal. Typically it connects to A as closer. Another complain is that the software is so xxxxxxx, and configuration options are infantile. I want to force 2.5ghz connection instead of 5GHz between (A) and (C) but doesn't seem possible ( or i cant see how its done). Advice on that would help if anyone can say. Meanwhile if i could get a refund and go back to router + access point - I would as this is **bleep**e

Yes, me too. I get regular short term disconnects on the current firmware in bridge mode (no wired nodes, 5 in total; updated from beta, no factory reset). 

I am not a gamer so it's not a killer issue, but nonetheless this is a very annoying problem and has caused home automation and moaning family issues. I find that a reboot of the primary node will sometimes solve the problem for a day or so. I am thinking of connecting the main node to a mains timer which forces a reboot at 3am every day. 

PS I *really* don't want to spend my time talking through my issue with friendly but ultimately helpless Linksys second level support Smiley Happy 

T63

PianSom

Please take time to reach out to us at LinksysCares@linksys.com so that our Escalation Engineers can look into your setup closely. Attach the link to this post, and include your phone number & location.

Kloe-21503

Hi Kloe-21503

Sorry - life's too short Smiley Happy

T63 wrote:

The average user may not notice a drop of 1-5 secs of internet so it may not have bothered the majority of users...but any power user will get sick of it fast.

It is sickening, I feel you.

T63 wrote:

My setup is 3 Velop. (A) is connected to the modem and is the main. From there a cable runs to (B) at far end of house and in between is (C) which can connect to either A or C depending on signal. Typically it connects to A as closer. Another complain is that the software is so xxxxxxx, and configuration options are infantile. I want to force 2.5ghz connection instead of 5GHz between (A) and (C) but doesn't seem possible ( or i cant see how its done). Advice on that would help if anyone can say. Meanwhile if i could get a refund and go back to router + access point - I would as this is **bleep**e

I also experienced a similar situation with the Netgear Arlo Q camera which connected to the Velop mesh-WiFi; when the two nodes disconnected from the first / main node, the Arlo Q was indicating with its LED light that it was too far away from the first / main node thus the WiFi signal was weak.

But when I rebooted the two disconnected nodes and got them back on-line, the Arlo Q was still indicating the WiFi signal was too weak, which mean it was still connecting to the first / main node even though the two disconnected nodes were already restored.

Waited for half a day to see if the Arlo Q will capture the strongest and closest WiFi signal from the other two nodes, it didn't. I have to rebooted the Arlo Q so it can get the WiFi signal closest to the node.

Is this the problem with the Arlo Q, or with the Velop node I wonder...