Re: Velop often disconnected from internet

Done all that, I run as much as I can wired and everything works on that front. Linksys really needs to fix the firmware.

JackStewart wrote:

I came to the same conclusion about cycling the power to the Velops every few days.  The network seems to be be much more responsive after power cycling and results in less disconnects.

J

Power cycling the Velop is not a good solution, like others have mentioned too: for a $350 worth mesh-WiFi it should work flawlessly without much user interference.

I seems to have located my problem on why the Velop keep disconnected from the internet (from the cable modem router), what brand is your router / modem?

Does it have IPv4 Routing Table setting? If yes, could you please let us know what's in it (the routing table)?

[ Edited ]

Giftera wrote:

I've been having this issue every few weeks since I got the router. I'm running Google Fiber network box with the velop Routers in bridge mode. The week has had the router going offline just about every day. Although it seems other nodes wireless work. All nodes have a wired CAT 6 backbone. Last night all the nodes were in RED lighting although I was getting less than optimul throughput. For a $500 mesh router, you'd expect some sort of self diagnostic / automatic reboot. As a consumer, I shouldn't have to reset my router more than once a month, having to do it daily is a firmware failure. As wide spread of an issue as it is, its a linksys issue. One configuration is, should my child nodes be wired through the parrent node (current configuration) or would it improve performance to wire them directly into my gateway/router fiber box as the parrent node is.

I seems to have located the problem on why the Velop keep disconnected from the internet (from the cable modem router), what brand is your router / modem?

Does it have IPv4 Routing Table setting? If yes, could you please let us know what's in it (the routing table)?

My Velop has been running smooth without hiccup for three straight days now, hopefully I've really nailed a solution...

[ Edited ]

BootlegSnackz wrote:
I'll say that ever since changing the modem to one that is not a modem router combo and then resetting the whole network, I have been almost perfect.

The velops would only lose connection once every few days, but I barely noticeable because the connection is picked back up almost immediately.

I think right now it's fair to say (since neither I or my wife have noticed any disconnects) that it's been stable for about two-thirds weeks now.

That seems to be the problem with the Velop system, the problem seems to be connecting with certain modem/router brand.

I seems to have located the problem on why the Velop keep disconnected from the internet (from the cable modem router), what brand is your router / modem?

My router is a Google network box for Google fiber, the fiber box runs ipv4 and ipv6. What do you want to see from the routing table

Giftera wrote:
My router is a Google network box for Google fiber, the fiber box runs ipv4 and ipv6. What do you want to see from the routing table

Sorry for the delayed reply, it's been a very busy Monday.

Oh, I don't know anything about Google network box, don't have Google fiber on where I live.

If you're experiencing internet drops too, that means the Velop isn't compatible with Google network box then.

Does it (Google network box) has this IPv4 Routing setting:

IMG_0518.png

If yes, could you show us what's in there?

FYI, my Velop (3 nodes) haven't disconnected for straight five days now...

Hopefully we can use my solution, since the Velop team hasn't been able to come up with a real fix.

Routing Table.png

Ok, here is mine, Google doesn't list a gateway. But since I put the nodes on static IP's it hasn't disconnected from the network box. I thought there might be some issue with lease times for the IP address expiring that may cause the Velop to fail. The wired internet has never gone down. My biggest concern is if I use the wireless for any home security deviceses that my security system will go down frequently. Only being able to access the routers settings through the app means that I have to physically restart it instead of being able to remotely call the nodes to reboot. Not having a DD-WRT style interface makes it harder to screw up the settings but it also means you can't see what settings actually are.

Giftera wrote:

Ok, here is mine, Google doesn't list a gateway. But since I put the nodes on static IP's it hasn't disconnected from the network box. I thought there might be some issue with lease times for the IP address expiring that may cause the Velop to fail. The wired internet has never gone down. My biggest concern is if I use the wireless for any home security deviceses that my security system will go down frequently. Only being able to access the routers settings through the app means that I have to physically restart it instead of being able to remotely call the nodes to reboot. Not having a DD-WRT style interface makes it harder to screw up the settings but it also means you can't see what settings actually are.

Me too, I was about to ask you the same thing about when was the disconnections occured? Because I'm using three Netgear Arlo Q cameras and two smart locks on the Velop system network, so I noticed when a device is start using the internet, the Velop will be disconnected from the internet.

I was asking others if they also using smart devices on the Velop network.

My disonnection problem was worse; both the wired and wireless nodes were all disconnected.

What you're showing seems like the LAN setting, not the IPv4 routing setting.

Does it (Google network box) has other settings that shows the Routing Table or Static Routing setting?

You say the nodes hasn't disconnected from the internet again since you put them to static IPs? So the problem solved?

No, I shows the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses but that is what it is and I'm not posting that online for the heck of it. The google network box hardly shows anything but it lets you reserve Local IP's for your lan, since I've got the Velop I've done resets weekly it seems. Generally notice and issue in the morning or if I'm travelling the router will be in red light state when I get home.

The past week I had been having daily issues, with the reserved IP's I have not but it hasn't been long enough to say its solved. Its better than it was a few days ago. I also wonder about the posibility of a security lockout or outside manipulation... but I don't put a lot of weight on that theory.

Giftera wrote:

No, I shows the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses but that is what it is and I'm not posting that online for the heck of it. The google network box hardly shows anything but it lets you reserve Local IP's for your lan, since I've got the Velop I've done resets weekly it seems. Generally notice and issue in the morning or if I'm travelling the router will be in red light state when I get home.

The past week I had been having daily issues, with the reserved IP's I have not but it hasn't been long enough to say its solved. Its better than it was a few days ago. I also wonder about the posibility of a security lockout or outside manipulation... but I don't put a lot of weight on that theory.

I'm affraid Google is trying to show less settings (compared to other brand's routers) in their network box, perhaps so users can't tampered it and disturb the support team when something went awry.

So if changing the ISP router settings is out of the question, then the last effort to try is to add another router inbetween the Google network box and the Velop main node (which connected directly to the Google network box).

It sounds silly, yes. But so far it works for me.

If you have an unused router that just collecting dust somewhere in a drawer or in a shelf, you can use it to bridge the LAN from the Velop main node to the Google network box.

Don't forget to turn off the WiFi (on the unused router) first, turn its LAN setting into DHCP relay (pointing to the Google network box) as the DHCP server/provider, and the most important part: don't forget to add a route value into the router's routing table.

Let me know how it goes.