Velop often disconnected from internet

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've been using Velop (3-pack nodes) for more than a couple of month now, happy so far, but with one annoyance: sometimes the Velop keeps disconnecting from the internet, it goes offline glowing the red LED light.

The main Velop is connected to a ZTE FO (Fiber Optic) modem via an ethernet (RJ45) connection, when the Velop was disconnected (glowing the red LED) I've tried connecting a laptop to the modem directly using an ethernet and I was able to surf the internet, so it's not the internet was down (the internet LED indicator on the ZTE FO modem were all showing everything was fine) or any problem with the ethernet.

At first (the first month of using the Velop) it happened just a few time, but lately this is happening once in a couple of days.

How do I know what's wrong with the Velop?

How to fix this?

Thanks!

Expert

Re: Velop often disconnected from internet

@Joe Clean,

You can try using another ethernet cable to connect your modem directly to the Parent Node and check if that'll make any difference. Also, make sure that your Velop Nodes are running on their latest firmware. Are all of your devices (both wired and wireless) affected?

Chris-21499
Linksys Technical Support

It's happening to a lot of Velop owners - see this thread - http://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/Drop-outs-on-Velop-network/td-p/1146547

Christopher_S wrote:

You can try using another ethernet cable to connect your modem directly to the Parent Node and check if that'll make any difference. Also, make sure that your Velop Nodes are running on their latest firmware. Are all of your devices (both wired and wireless) affected?

There's nothing wrong with the ethernet cable, or with the RJ45 port in the ZTE FO modem.

I'm using the included ethernet cable from inside the Velop box.

I've set up the Velop to automatically update its own firmware.

Like I've said before; it was not the devices connection which were disconnected, it was the Velop.

The mobile devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops) still could connected to the Velop, the problem was the internet connection (on the Velop, but not on the ZTE FO modem) is down / disconnected.

LinksysFan1 wrote:

It's happening to a lot of Velop owners - see this thread - http://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/Drop-outs-on-Velop-network/td-p/1146547

Whoa, that's a lot of conversations.

Is there a remedy yet?

@Joe Clean

Are all the nodes having the same challenge? If it's just on your main node (the one connected to your modem), we suggest that you try to swap the main node with your child node/s and observe if the same setback recurs. 

Also, just to verify, what are the workarounds that you've tried if your device/s are experiencing this? How about you reboot that specific node (or all the nodes)? Does it make any difference? We'll try to sort this out. 

Ces-21490

Ces_C wrote:

Are all the nodes having the same challenge? If it's just on your main node (the one connected to your modem), we suggest that you try to swap the main node with your child node/s and observe if the same setback recurs. 

Also, just to verify, what are the workarounds that you've tried if your device/s are experiencing this? How about you reboot that specific node (or all the nodes)? Does it make any difference? We'll try to sort this out. 

All the nodes were all down as the main node was the one which disconnected from the internet.

The only workaround is to reboot the main node, it works, but not effiicient because this was happening too often.

FYI: I've tried searching channels from the Velop/Linksys app on my iPhone a couple of times after I rebooted the main node, I'm still observing if the probelm will happen again. 

Expert

@Joe Clean,

Does that mean that you ran the Channel Finder feature of the Velop? As suggested by Ces_C, try to reset all your nodes and configure the Child node as the Parent Node. This is just for further isolation. Send us the updates at LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can further discuss your case in details. Include your phone number and location.

Chris-21499

Christopher_S wrote:

Does that mean that you ran the Channel Finder feature of the Velop? As suggested by Ces_C, try to reset all your nodes and configure the Child node as the Parent Node. This is just for further isolation. Send us the updates at LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can further discuss your case in details. Include your phone number and location.

I'll try to wait and see when the next disconnection occurs then I'll contact you via that email address along with the updates.

Christopher_S wrote:

Hi Christopher,

Today the main Velop node is disconnected again from the internet, although the ZTE FO modem is working (connected to the internet) just fine.

So if I swap the other nodes as the main/parent node, how do I do this?

Do I have to start all over again? Or do I just swap them and it's done automatically (by those nodes themselves)?