Velop won't get a dhcp address from the modem

I woke up this morning to red lights.  Upon further digging, it turns out the Velop isn't getting a dhcp address from the modem.  I tried to release and renew through the browser - no dice.  Just to be sure, I tried a pc connected to the modem, and it worked fine, and then I connected an old router and it worked fine as well.  So I know it's not the modem.  Velop just refuses to get the address.  I've tried rebooting velop multiple times, manually doing release and renew, etc..  I'm literally going to return it today and drive up to Costco to get the Orbi system unless someone knows a solution that does not involve factory resetting and starting over.  And if the solution is a beta firmware driver, I'm glad to try it because I have nothing to lose at this point.

Chadster, any thoughts?  Anyone else?

Thx!

Expert

Re: Velop won't get a dhcp address from the modem

johnwest80 wrote:

I woke up this morning to red lights.  Upon further digging, it turns out the Velop isn't getting a dhcp address from the modem.  I tried to release and renew through the browser - no dice.  Just to be sure, I tried a pc connected to the modem, and it worked fine, and then I connected an old router and it worked fine as well.  So I know it's not the modem.  Velop just refuses to get the address.  I've tried rebooting velop multiple times, manually doing release and renew, etc..  I'm literally going to return it today and drive up to Costco to get the Orbi system unless someone knows a solution that does not involve factory resetting and starting over.  And if the solution is a beta firmware driver, I'm glad to try it because I have nothing to lose at this point.

Chadster, any thoughts?  Anyone else?

Thx!

If the Velop isn't getting an IP Address when directly connected to the modem then it's probably defective unless the ISP requires it's MAC Address to be registered.

I don't have any beta firmware for the Velop at this time.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

But it will get a dhcp if i connect it to the router i set up.  It's only from the linksys cm3024 that it will no longer get an address.  This has worked for months, so I don't understand why it would just now stop getting an ip.  It's not the cm3024, because two different devices I tried could get an address from it.  I've tried mac cloning, different mtu sizes, still no dice.

I really wish I had bought an orbi.

@johnwest80

How about when you swap the main node over the child node? Have you tried that? If not, update us on how it goes. 

Ces-21490
Linksys Technical Support

Swap the main node over the child node? What do you mean?

Is there some known issue where you think this will work? If so, I’ll try it once you explain. Thx.

johnwest80,

We suggest that you try to re-configure your Velop system by setting up your child node as the main node and the main node as a child node. If that won't work, you may email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your contact details, community username and the link to this thread for reference.

Jo-Ann - 21744

Jo Ann, why would this make a difference? Before I go through all this trouble, can you tell me why you suggest this? Is there a known issue? And how do I swap the roles of the nodes without rebuilding my entire mesh? Thx.

@johnwest80

We suggest to swap the role of the nodes to isolate the issue. There is no known issue regarding this matter. 

Hence, if the suggested setup won't work, you can send us an email right away in the email address we've provided including the details above. Thank you.

Nestor_C 21974

Any update on this? I am facing similar issue but on different modem Netgear CM31T with Velop single node.

Verified with my ISP they are not dropping any MAC address based blocking.

What workarounds have you done so far, wifi_en? Make sure that your Velop System is running on the latest firmware. Have you tried rebooting your Velop and your modem?

Jo-Ann - 21744