Re: When red is blue? (Status lights are red but everything seems to work)

In my case, there may have been a heartbeat ping failing, but the whole network was up and functional to all other sites... I don't know, of course, because I don't know what they were trying to ping at the time.

I kept asking if there was any way to retrieve a log that showed what was going on (given the entry in the app about failure logging being sent to Linksys, I assumed there's some sort of log), but they said, basically, no - no way to diagnose anything.

It was kind of a very frustrating call.
Expert

I read a post of a Velop user accessing the standard sysinfo.cgi troubleshooting report on a Velop. In haven't tested it but the below link might work.

http://192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Hi again, I can confirm that the sysinfo.cgi script works well (it's not easy to read but it does work) - we used this script to confirm that the guest wifi network is 192.168.3.x which was helpful.

Not sure what it would say about ping errors in particular but it's worth checking out. Be sure to set a local device password first using the mobile app, as you will need that password to login.

I wonder why the tech support that dnanlan spoke with didn't know about this script; I think I first learned about it from Chadster a few years ago when we were studying EA8500 memory leaks.

Indeed, lots of useful info in there. Will try it again next time the same failure happens. Thanks.
Administrator

Hi Steven,

The LED represents multiple possible errors. Red typically means that the device is not connected to the internet, but could represent something else as well. 

If the LED is still red when you get to the unit again can run a sysinfo on the node that is experiencing the issue, and private message it over, you can copy and paste the page and drop it into notepad or PDF it.

It will take about a minute for the whole page to load since it is runnning diagnostics, but once the loading wheel stops spinning it is good to go. I will send it over to our QA team and engineers to look at.

Hello -- thanks for your offer to help! The private message system won't let me copy and paste the output (says the message must be less than 60,000 characters) and I don't see a way to attach a file directly (I'm at home using a ChromeBook at the moment, which the system says is offline).

By way of recap, the three nodes remain red since this morning and yet core functionality seems to be working. Yesterday morning they were also red, but I power cycled all three of them and the returned to blue. This morning they resumed their red status and I left them running this time around.

Sorry I'm not very familiar with how the private message function works; I'll keep trying, or maybe I will try to clip the output into multiple messages (not sure how many clips it will take to get them down to 60,000 each). Maybe there's a way that I can get the output file to you via email or something?

I would not send a pcap to anyone. It's a full packet capture. that means any unencrypted traffic on your network will be viewable to anyone with that pcap.
Administrator

Hi Steven,

I sent you a PM on this one with my contact info.

Hello Hopsdaballa04, thanks for the guidance and the heads-up!

I'm not actually sure what a pcap is, or if it's different from the output of the sysinfo.cgi script (are those the same things, or does pcap stand for something like packet capture?). But I figure if the info script will be of assistance in troubleshooting, it's worth a try (and hopefully at not too much of a privacy or security cost).

Highlighted

I should have said that I was talking about Wireshark sorry for the confusion.