Which Velop Node?

[ Edited ]

I have just installed a three-node Velop set. Works great. Is it the case that one cannot/need not select a node to connect to, i.e., the client computer should connect to the node with the strongest signal?

Getting 80+ Mbit/s down and 85+ Mbit/s up on several Macs and iOS thingies. Not bad! 

Also, I don't know what to do with my two Ethernet printers. I was using an Apple AirPort base station and it had extra ethernet ports. I have connected the printers to the LAN ports on my FIOS router, the same place the Velop is connected, but that doesn't work; the printers show off-line. Suggestions?

Thanks!

speedtest.png

Re: Which Velop Node?

@davidi wrote:

I have just installed a three-node Velop set. Works great. Is it the case that one cannot/need not select a node to connect to, i.e., the client computer should connect to the node with the strongest signal?

Getting 80+ Mbit/s down and 85+ Mbit/s up on several Macs and iOS thingies. Not bad! 

Also, I don't know what to do with my two Ethernet printers. I was using an Apple AirPort base station and it had extra ethernet ports. I have connected the printers to the LAN ports on my FIOS router, the same place the Velop is connected, but that doesn't work; the printers show off-line. Suggestions?

Thanks!

speedtest.png

Hi, davidi. Just to clarify, who's your internet service provider? Also, how did you setup the Velop nodes? Is the FIOS router the primary router you have? If so, you should be having two networks at the same time. You should set the Velop or the FIOS router into bridge mode: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=243548. 

Nestor_C 21974
Linksys Technical Support
Highlighted

Re: Which Velop Node?

Thanks for your reply. FIOS is Verizon's fiber optic service. The FIOS router is the primary router, the one that connects to the coax. The Velop is connected to a FIOS router LAN port.

I set up the system using the Linksys app on iPad. Didn't do anything special, as the defaults worked OK.

In any case, I have solved the problem. I re-installed an AirPort Extreme base station in bridge mode and connected it to the FIOS router. Connected to the AirPort by Ethernet are the Velop and the two printers. The Velop is also in bridge mode. And now the printers work.

Thanks!