Re: iPhone related connectivity issues?

Thanks,i will do it today👍

[ Edited ]

I am expiriencing this same problem and it is not issolated to IOS device. We are seeing it on an Android phone too where it gets stuck obtaining an IP address. I was able to get my iPhone connected by renewing the lease on the IP address.

This is a brand new unit (arrived from Amazon today) that I installed at my company to replace its very old Wi-Fi network. I currently am unable to migrate to the Linksys Velop until this issue is resolved. I have even gotten our IT vendor to assist with no solution yet. We have customers and visitors that will require the use of our guest network so I must get this fixed. If I cannot get it working within the 30-day Amazon-return window, i will be forced to return it for another solution.

I am perfectly willing to help in way I can to get this problem resolved.

Brett Davis

Director of Engineering

@Brett_Davis Let's get you assisted by our escalation engineers for further diagnosis. Please email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your complete name, location-city/state, phone number, community username, a link to this post, Velop's firmware version and network information.

Rosalyn - 21986
Linksys Technical Support
Highlighted

Hi Brett,

Looks like Linksys is asking you to escalate the problem - to be frank, I had my problem escalated about 4 times without any success as they only look at the Linksys setup and spent about 10 hours on the phone with them.

I am not technical at all, but this is my basic understanding of how I resolved my issue.  I think that it is called a Double NAT issue, where basically I had two DHCP servers - this sounds consistent with your IP address problems, which was what I was experiencing.  My velop was setup with with a Modem Router (I am in the UK and use Vodafone as my ISP), and I think that eventhough during the Velop setup they "cater" for this, it did not work.  

I resolved it by switching off my DHCP server on the Modem Router and at the same time, the Modem-Router had a function called "Exposed Host" - my simple understanding is that it assigned a host (via a fixed MAC Address), that would go straight through it to the internet.  I gave the Modem Router the MAC address of my parent node (which was ethernet cable into the Modem-Router) and this exposed the parent directly to the internet.  I understand that the firewall of the Velop will protect me, rather than the Modem-Router firewall.

It is amazing the difference this has made, I have been stable now for about 3 months, no issues at all.  The Velop is a good system once it works, but I was pulling my hair out for about 6 months...  and fortunately, I stumbled across this fix.

Anyone had any breakthrough with this iphone "no internet connection" issue? I am now struggling with it since august 2017 (!!!). I used firmware 1.1.2.183316 up to last week when I finally decided to give 1.1.2.185309 a try as I am so fed up with those iphone internet connection losses when moving from one room to another in my house (same issue for my entire family with iPhone 5, 6, 6S and 7!). I have a large house with 6 Velop nodes. Every computer connected directly to a node through Ethernet is working fabulously well (200-300 Mbps up and down!). And this is this only reason I am not dropping everything (as Velop did a good job maintaining high speed connection between nodes even across my 6,000 sq house. I am NOT having a double NAT situation as my Velop network is in bridge mode connected to my AT&T Giganet router who is doing the NAT/DHCP. I have contacted the support team several times with escalation and sharing of my loggs ... but not progress so far. How is it that no ALL users are having these issues (what is so specific to the ones what always have those issues?). Is there any hope that a new firmware will one day fix this???? Beside the security patch firmware from last Decemeber, the last "stable" one was from August 2017!! Come one Lynksys/Belkin, you can do better than that, can't you??

After 2.5hrs on the phone with support and multiple factory resets, my problem was not solved and I have returned my Velops and replaced them with Orbi’s which are working perfectly. I believe Velop has an issue with their Bridge mode as both Apple and Android devices were not getting IP address forwarded by the Velop from the local dhcp server. Again, my opinion is that Velop is targeted for the typical home network where it will be the router and dhcp.
Expert

[ Edited ]

Hello, cribou.

Are the iPhones were only affected? How about the other wireless devices like your laptops or iPads and what nots? 

Try to IP release and renew and then reboot the all the nodes. 

Coleen_R 21984
Linksys Technical Support

I have a lot of other wireless devices that are NOT affected but that are static like my ring cameras, roku media player, amazon echo dots ...etc. It looks like the issue only impact devices that are moving through the house like our cell phones (we only have iPhone) and sometimes our macbook laptops. Renewing the IP lease is often solving the issue. Rebooting all nodes is always solving the issue (on a specific device for a specific disconnection). BUT this issue is impacting a device like my iPhone 10-20 times per day! So rebooting all notes is certainly not the solution and even renewing the IP lease not a solution neither. Also, I do not necessarly notice when moving from one room to another that even if the phone is still wifi connected, it does not receive anymore data as the internet traffic is stopped on my device. Only when I want to use it, it is clear that no traffic is going to internent (speed testfor instance is telling me that my internet connection is down).

Regarding your suggestion to change the wireless channels, it looks like the link you sent is NOT applicable for bridge mode and/or the current firmware. Under Wireless, all I can change are the Network and Security Modes. There is not option to change the Channel or the Channel Width.

Capture d’écran 2018-03-27 à 20.45.51.png

That said, I have also run the Channel Finder several times from the Linksys app to optimize the settings but that did not remove our issues.

I am also wondering if this is only related to bridge mode like suggested by Brett_Davis. Does anyone experience similar issue with his Velop network NOT being in bridge mode? If the bridge mode is indeed the bugged one, I might have to see if I can put my AT&T Giganet Router in passthrough mode and put my Velop back as DHCP server. Thoughts?

Purchased new Velop 2 node system, model # WHW03v1 as seen from the LInksys app.  The nodes have both been updated to the latest firmware 1.1.2.187020 (today is 7/22/2018). 

I have 100mbps Internet service passing through a new Arris SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem.  The modem does not appear to have any "router" settings as there are no listings of DHCP, MAC filtering, etc.  Pretty much the only options are to turn off the LEDs on the front of the hardware box.

The house is a single story, and is covered well by the 2 Velop nodes.  Computers on wifi are working without a hitch and good speed.  However, both my and my wife's iPhone 7 Plus phone (both on latest iOS 11.4.1) will stall to load many webpages (the page hangs with a white screen on the phone).  Attempts to reload will not work for the failing pages.  Other links work while the failed ones persist.  This happens many times per day, so I'm constantly getting off wi-fi and using cell coverage (my cell data!) to access those sites.  The links that fail appear to be random.

I am in touch with Linksys support but have not had any suggestion so far other than to reboot the Velop nodes, which didn't help.  I am writing another e-mail to them now referencing this forum dialogue and letting them know that the two suggestions in this thread are:

1) Revert to firmware 1.1.1.179155 from Feb, 17, 2017.
2) The suggestion by Money10gdp was:

"I resolved it by switching off my DHCP server on the Modem Router and at the same time, the Modem-Router had a function called "Exposed Host" - my simple understanding is that it assigned a host (via a fixed MAC Address), that would go straight through it to the internet.  I gave the Modem Router the MAC address of my parent node (which was ethernet cable into the Modem-Router) and this exposed the parent directly to the internet.  I understand that the firewall of the Velop will protect me, rather than the Modem-Router firewall."

For 1), I am hesitant to downgrade the firmware without Linksys officially suggesting it (what other bugs may exist in firmware that is 1.5 years and many revisions old?).

For 2), The Arris SB6183 modem doesn't appear to act as a router, just a cable modem, so I don't think there is anything for me to do about that unless they tell me there is a known incompatibility with the SB6183, and they suggest another known best cable modem.  I am willing to try another cable modem as I could still send back the SB6183, but only with high confidence that that is the issue.

This week of 7/23/2018 will be the week that Linksys gets this issue resolved, or I will be returning my Velop hardware within the 30 day return window.  Will add any resolutions, or lack of resolution to this thread. 

Hoping for the best.