Expert

Re: Powerline AV Utility doesn't see th PLW400

I'm not sure what you mean but the PLE connects to the router and the PLW400 connects the router through the PLE. Wireless device connect the PLW via it's wireless or it's Ethernet ports.

The Utility is just used to configure the PLE and PLW400 if you want to change their default settings.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Nothing on this site has helped it work. These instructions online are horrible and do not properly step out the process for someone who has never done this before.

It showed on the utility but only after I hard lined it in to my other computer that I don't want hard lined. It shows in the wireless networks but when I connect there is no internet access.

I need a LITERAL step by step process. Because this isn't working and I've followed the links you've sent and nothing has worked.
Expert

1. Plug the PLE into a power outlet next to your router
  2. Connect the PLE's Ethernet port to the router's LAN port using an Ethernet cable
  3. Plug the PLW into an outlet near the PLE to verify that it works before moving it to a farther away outlet
  4. Wait for the PLW "Powerline LED" to go solid
  5. Connect a computer to the PLW Ethernet port for initial configuration of the PLW
  6. Wait for the PLW "Ethernet LED" to go solid
  7. Open the PL Utility
  8. Configure your PLW  wireless settings
  9. Once the PLW wireless is configured you can disconnect the Ethernet cable from the computer.

Wireless devices should be able to connect to the PLW SSID and have Internet access now.

Linksys

I have set up the PLE and PLW devices and am receiving data via ethernet and wireless. I noticed an earlier post about disabling broadcasting, which I am interested in setting up. When I disable broadcasting via the previous instructions, however, no devices can connect or receive data from the PLW. Are there additional instructions or troubleshooting tips to resolve connecting to a nonbroadcast PLW wireless signal? Thanks!

Expert

just2josh wrote:

I have set up the PLE and PLW devices and am receiving data via ethernet and wireless. I noticed an earlier post about disabling broadcasting, which I am interested in setting up. When I disable broadcasting via the previous instructions, however, no devices can connect or receive data from the PLW. Are there additional instructions or troubleshooting tips to resolve connecting to a nonbroadcast PLW wireless signal? Thanks!

I don't recommend disabling wireless broadcast because then you will have to manually enter wireless SSID's, security and protocols into every device you want to connect to that wireless signal. This will have to be done every time you change something on the wireless as well.

Linksys

I am having similar trouble with my Linksys PLW400 - neither of them are found by the utility. I've reset them and still the default IP address is not going anywhere. The default address I'm using is 192.168.1.104 (as per the Linksys website). Anyone know what other IP addresses I could use?

Expert

Don't you use the PLW400 Windows® Setup Software to configure?

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/PLW400_UG_EN_3425-01010_Web,0.pdf

Linksys

We only have Mac machines. But yes, I have tried using the software but as mentioned before - no device is being found. I'd much rather prefer to just access the extenders using an IP but the IP mentioned on the Linksys website is wrong. Does anyone know what the correct IP is?

Expert

Do you have the PLW plugged in to the same electrical ciruit as the other PLK and connected to the PLK via Ethernet for the initial setup with the setup software?

Linksys

Yes. I am certain that I am connected. I am just trying to find out what the correct IP is.

The extenders are all providing Internet and working fine. Nothing to do with the powerline in this case. What I am trying to do is to access the extender's interface to be able to change the SSID and add a Password. The extenders appear to be in their factory default state which is why they are creating networks called e.g. "Cisco00036" and so on.

I have attempted to access the interface both when I'm connected via wifi or via ethernet - neither worked. 

I've tried the following IPs and none worked: