Highlighted

Why can't Linksys PAP2T Internet Phone Adapter be directly connected to the PSTN wall socket?

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 

I'm new to telephony and am trying to connect the PSTN wall socket to my Asterisk server. For this purpose, I need to convert the incoming call from the PSTN network into SIP. I was thinking of using the Linksys PAP2T adapter (it has 2 RJ11 ports and 1 RJ45 port) to accomplish this. However, the technical/product documentation says that the phone ports should not be connected directly to the wall socket as it may damage the house wiring / the adapter itself. Also, the phone port must only be connected to a analog handset / fax machine.

Can anyone explain why the phone port of the adapter can't be connected to the telephone wall socket of the house? Is this because of the voltage that flows in from the wall socket?

Also, can you suggest something I can use that will help me accomplish my objective?

Thanks,

Clive

PS. For some reason, I wasn't able to post this message under the "VoIP adapters" topic because it kept saying that I can't post there since it's marked read-only.