Highlighted

DSL Routers in LAN

Does the following sentence describe a valid network configuration?  

Connect to the Internet via a single port ComTrend CT-5072T ADSL2+ Ethernet Router to an 8-port Linksys BEFSR81 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with QoS, thence via an BEFSR81 port to a Linksys 8-port Gigabit Switch SE4008, and thence via a BEFSR81 port to a 4-port Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41, thence via ports to a workgroup.

Expert

Re: DSL Routers in LAN

It will work but what is the point of all the routers daisy chained together?

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

The point of 2 routers daisy chained together with a switch, was to test My concepts of the possibilities of equipment in hand.  I’m debating returning the 8-port switch and putting the 4-port router at the end of a 200’ Ethernet cable, in My wood-shop.  I wonder if the BEFSR41 will work automatically to daisy-chain from the BEFSR81 or if I’ll need to make some creative adjustments.  

Expert

Another term for daisy chaining routers is cascading routers.

When cascading residential routers you have three options I've listed them below in easy to hard sorting:

1. LAN to WAN = the secondary router's WAN port is connected to the upstream network
  2. LAN to LAN = the secondary router's LAN port is connected to the upstream network
  3. Router Mode LAN to WAN = the secondary router is configured for routing not gateway mode and it's WAN port is connected to the upstream network

Each one of these options has some specific details that need to be followed.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

I have the following physical connections to the Internet via a single port ComTrend CT-5072T ADSL2+ Ethernet Router (a DSL Modem) to the WAN port of a Linksys BEFSR81 thence via network port 8 to 200' of Ethernet cable to the WAN port of a BEFSR41 thence via network port 1 to a laptop.  However, the logical connection is incomplete.