How Do I Get Rid Of Old Linksys Configuration

I used a linksys router to share the internet with my old roommate but move into my own place and have no need for the router at this time and he took it with him. I just got my internet turned on at my new place but can't get online with my win98se os and I had no problem getting online a few weeks ago. It seems to be holding on to the old configuration from the linksys router and will not let me release the invalid IP  that shows when I lookup my IP.

My question is ....How can I chang the configuration without the linksys router hooked into my computer?

Or could that even be the problem?.....

Re: How Do I Get Rid Of Old Linksys Configuration

Do you mean you wanted to erase all the settings on your router?
"When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece."

yes and no...yes I want to get rid of the settings but I am no longer hooked into the router. I think the settings on my computer were changed to an invalid IP because my buddy and I shared the internet throught a linksys router but I am not going to use a router and for some reason I cant release my IP. I am thinking it is because the setting that were in place when I used the linksys router.

The win98se os is not as plug and play as winXP so for some reason its giving me trouble. I have never had a proplem hooking into the internet tillnow so its weird. Does this sound like what is going on?

looks to me like you have a static IP which was used for communication with the linksys router....all you need to do is remove it...here's how

on the desktop right clcik on network neighbourhood and select properties...then highlight "tcp/ip (adapter name 10/100 fast ethernet) and hit properties once again...
go to the IP address tab and select the automatic option...then go to dns and disable....hit OK and restart the PC.
Highlighted