Expert

Re: LRT 214 and DHCP

A dhcp server wouldn't normally give a different up subnet as the gateway unless a vpn is connected or something along those lines

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Expert

Did you multiple vlans setup in the LRT

Linksys

No I do not have any VLANs configured and I am not using the DMZ connections (physical) or Vlans., I am thinking there is something going on with the EA9500 or RS7000.   They would be the devices that would be talking to Mac.  The EA9500/RS7000 configuration has been flaky since I installed it.  

I have a very large house and was trying to increase the coverage and add the MU-MIMO technology to eliminate the 3 wirelss networks (SSID) I had before.  Looks like this configuration which was provided by Linksys sales was a bad decision.  My Cable modem is in an equipment room in my basement and the EA9500 is on the second floor connected to LRT214 via a GB switch. I am thinking I need to eliminate the devce I can't really see EA9500 and replace it with equipment I can actually see and troubleshoot.

I have been using and configuring Linksys equipment since they rolled out their first products, yes I am old. I am also a network engineer. This is the first time I have been unable to even see what is wrong to try to repair.  I bought the LRT214 to bring in VPNand DMZ capabilites.  The EA9500 to get higher throughput and coverage for the access points and it has been a disaster.

I am going to see if I wire the Mac directly into the LRT214 if it picks up a valid IP address.  I believe that if it does, then there is somethign hosed in the EA9500/RS7000 operation.

Expert

Sounds good

Linksys

I plugged the Mac directly into the LRT214 and did a dhcp release.  No IP assigned.  Next I pulled the network connection between my GB switch and the LRT214 and it immediately assigned IP address.  Then I plugged the Switch back into the LRT214 and it failed a dhcp renew.  Then I went upstairs and pulled network cable from EA9500. The computer immediately pulled a valid IP address.  Finally, I plugged the Mac into the switch and did a dhcp renew with success.  This sequence leads me to believe that the issue in my networ is with the EA9500.  When the EA9500 is connected to the switch the dhcp renew from multiple physical paths.

Any clue how to troubleshoot something that is transparent on the network.  I assume next step is to take EA9500 and reset it back to factory firmware so I can reconfigure it with an IP address I would know.

Expert

[ Edited ]

Did you configure the EA9500 internet settings to bridge mode originally and connect it's wan port to the LRT lan? If so you should be able to find its ip address in the LRT dhcp client table.

Linksys

There were issues with the EA9500 originally and the Linksys folks had me assign a static IP address that I can't find.  So I think the fastest way to get to a known config is to bring it down out of closet into my office, reset it to factory settings, and configure it to known settings.  I cna also download the current firmware through my hardwired connection.  Then once I reset the factory settings, I should be able to upload firmware before I connect it back to house switch.  If it goes south after that I think I will have isolated problem to the EA9500.

Sound like a reasonable approach?

Expert

It's the right plan IMO.

Linksys

Any idea how to upload the firmware without logging into my cloud account.  I do not have internet connectivity with the EA9500. After the factory reset it will conflict with the LRT214 core router.  I assume this means:

I need to manually configure the EA9500 to an IP that won't conflict,

connect to LRT214 switch,

login into cloud account,

perform firmware upgrade,

logout

configure EA9500 in bridge mode so it can live on network.