Re: LRT224 intermittent hangs

Thanks chadster. I just finished manually documenting all of my settings. I'll do a factory reset and reenter everything manually when I get a chance.

hi bdginmo

wow....

that's new for me.

i rechecked my config and mine had multicast passthrough turned off as well.

does netflix use multicast? maybe to try turn that off as well?

i don't have netflix so i can't try. apologies

bdginmo wrote:

Disabling UPnP doesn't work. I just had another hang about 30 minutes ago that required a reboot. I was watching Netflix when this happened. The interesting thing is that Netflix kept working presumably because the router was still performing it's primary function of routing packets, but other services like DHCP, DNS, router logs, configuration website, etc. all stopped working. Because I couldn't connect to its website I had to pull the plug on it.

I am running the latest firmware 1.0.4.03. I will try resetting to factory defaults and reconfiguring without using the backup file. But, man, that is a lot of work and based on bcool's response I'm not convinced that'll work.

chadster766 wrote:
When you restored the old config file on the new firmware you corrupted it.

Only a reset to factory defaults and a reconfigure from scratch can fix it.

hi Chadster766

you might have missed the part where i said i tried it with an old config and when that didn't work, i reconfigured it.

but it didn't help the last time, so i'm not sure whats changed to help it now.

from what it seems, if not the upnp, there is something wierd with the firmware. its certainly not working very well in some operating environments.

Alright, I just did a factory reset and manually reentered my configuration. I currently have UPnP enabled. Things I'm watching for.

• To see if the XBox One will show an Open NAT with UPnP instead of setting up port forwards.
  • To see if the XBox One works consistently with UPnP without needing to reboot the router periodically.
  • And most important...to see if the router stops locking up.

I'll report back with my findings. No news will probably be good news, but I will try report back within a week or two.

awesome. thanks

[ Edited ]

I got similar problem.  I have to reboot my LRT224 once or twice a week to make it works.

Here is my network setup.

LRT224 connected to an Apple TimeCapsule in order to provide a WIFI network.  I also have a camera connected to the TimeCapule via WIFI running 24hrs a day. besides I also connect my NAS to the LAN port of the LRT224.

Issue:

About once or twice a week.  I found that any device connect to the WIFI (Timecapsule) cannot access the Internet at all.  However, at the same time, my Camera, which connected via WIFI of the Timecapsule, can be access from External Internet.  The NAS is still conenct to Internet, can both download from Internet as well as access from outside world.  Only devices connected to the WIFI are not able to retrieve anything from outside world.  

Sometimes I can solve the issue by disable the port to my timeCapusle and resume it to make it works.  Sometimes, I just need to reboot the LRT224 to solve the problem.

Log:

I suspect it is uPNP problem too.  I got quite some rows in the log file saying upnpd[432] UPNP rule is not FULL!!.  Also another lines saying upnp[432] Failure obtaining ip address of the interface eth1.

There are also some lines saying

upnpd[432] AddPortMap... RemoteHost(null) port: UDP ExtPort 4500 Int: 192.165.1.5:4500 where the 192.165.1.5 is exactly my timeCapsule address.

It is quite disappointed that an over $200 router got hang every couple days.  I updated it to the v1.0.4.03.

Expert

After the firmware update did you reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch (no saved config file)? This is a critical operation.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Thanks.  Will give a try.  But still is it an issue that everytime we have to reconfig by scratch everytime a new firmware is updated?  Linksys should do a better job than this.

Expert

Only the initial firmware upgrade requires a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch. The original firmware corrupted the saved config file and had incompatible settings.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

It lasted almost 2 days before a hang. This time everything stopped working. My wife said the internet stopped working and a few seconds later Netflix cutout. And again, the website was inaccessible so I had to pull the plug. After the LRT224 reboot everything was back to normal. As a reminder I did a factory reset and manually reentered the configuration 2 nights ago.