Re: LRT224 intermittent hangs

bdginmo wrote:

It lasted almost 2 days before a hang. This time everything stopped working. My wife said the internet stopped working and a few seconds later Netflix cutout. And again, the website was inaccessible so I had to pull the plug. As a reminder I did a factory reset and manually reentered the configuration 2 nights ago.

hi bdginmo

if you could just satisfy my curisosity :-)

try turning uPNP and Multicast off.

see how long it will last this time with the exact same settings.

see if you can keep an eye on your logs as well.

Will do bcool. Turning off UPnP and Multicast Passthrough. Yeah, I'm a bit suspicious of UPnP as well.

I'll keep an eye on the logs next time as well.

OK.  Clearly it is UPnp problem.

I have reconfig everything from scratch and still got hang after a week.  Then I turn of the uPnp.  I didn't got hang after a week now.

Can someone from Linksys look at the uPNP codes?  It is an important function and I am sure you can get a less than $100 router works with it.

GilbertLau wrote:

OK.  Clearly it is UPnp problem.

I have reconfig everything from scratch and still got hang after a week.  Then I turn of the uPnp.  I didn't got hang after a week now.

Can someone from Linksys look at the uPNP codes?  It is an important function and I am sure you can get a less than $100 router works with it.

yeah.

i haven't had a hang for 3 weeks already (touch wood!)

its going really well with upnp off

UPnP is off. I haven't experienced a hang in over a week.

I agree. UPnP is highly suspicious here. For one, I can't get my XBox One to work consistently with it on anyway. And two, so far I haven't had a hang now that it's off.

Do you guys have any devices on your network that would be trying to use UPnP like a game console or something else?

bdginmo wrote:

UPnP is off. I haven't experienced a hang in over a week.

I agree. UPnP is highly suspicious here. For one, I can't get my XBox One to work consistently with it on anyway. And two, so far I haven't had a hang now that it's off.

Do you guys have any devices on your network that would be trying to use UPnP like a game console or something else?

i've had a couple of WEMO devices and some uPNP media players which i think is suspect to my LRT hanging.

I have an Xbox, a NAS running wordpress, a couple wifi camera and an iMac. I can see all this requesting uPNP. Thats why upnp is so important to me. BUT...

I just found a WORKAROUND. LINKSYS SHOULD OWE ME A PRIZE.

Ok. I found the whole issue is between upnp amd the proxy DNS. If u hv upnp on, 2 or 3 days later, the proxy dns is not working. In my case, i cannot go to internet from my network but i can access my cameras, my nas from internet. Obviously it is the proxy dns cannot resolve the names internally.

So all you hv to do is goto Configuration->DCHP Setup, DNS server use DNS below and enter static DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

GilbertLau wrote:
I have an Xbox, a NAS running wordpress, a couple wifi camera and an iMac. I can see all this requesting uPNP. Thats why upnp is so important to me. BUT...

Ok. I found the whole issue is between upnp amd the proxy DNS. If u hv upnp on, 2 or 3 days later, the proxy dns is not working. In my case, i cannot go to internet from my network but i can access my cameras, my nas from internet. Obviously it is the proxy dns cannot resolve the names internally.

So all you hv to do is goto Configuration->DCHP Setup, DNS server use DNS below and enter static DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

that's interesting.

but it doesn't work for me as i have internal addresses i need to resolve on my own DNS.

but this is really interesting that all problems are pointing back to uPNP.

Expert

bcool wrote:

GilbertLau wrote:

that's interesting.

but it doesn't work for me as i have internal addresses i need to resolve on my own DNS.

but this is really interesting that all problems are pointing back to uPNP.

I wonder if the LRT allows uPNP to create a port forward of DNS port 53 when DNS Proxy is enabled. To see if this is the case you would look in the Network Translations list when the issue is occurring. If there is a port 53 forward the device's ip address that created the forward would be listed in the translation rule.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

So far so good here. No hangs after disabling UPnP.

Next week I'll reenable UPnP and see how long it takes for a hang to happen. If it happens quickly then that will be pretty compelling evidence that UPnP is the culprit.