LRT224 intermittent hangs

hi

i have had a LRT224 for a few months and have repeatedly ran into an issue where the LRT224 would hang and become unresponsive.

It seems to come from the fact that the unit recieves multiple policy voilations and has denied connection and each of these gets logged and the connection refused. However, it does seem that over a long period of time, the unit just hangs up on its own and i have to perform a reboot.

Sample Error

Connection Refused - Policy violation

i am currently guessing one of these situations

1) the System Log gets full and the system hangs

2) LRT224 becomes unable to handle anymore violations due to sure volume

so a few questions i have

1) is it possible to purge the system log automatically on schedule?

2) is it possible to have the router BLOCK and DROP an IP from connecting to the router and disabling the block automatically over time? (feature request?)

3) Why does the LRT224 hang so often? shouldn't it be able to just stay up? and perform its job as  a router? what can i do to troubleshoot the situation?

i'm running a small setup behind the LRT224 and each hang is costing me my ability to connect to the unit.

its starting to get really irritating.

Re: LRT224 intermittent hangs

I was actually getting ready to post something as well. I too have had this route for a few months. Now that I have it configured the way I want and am not making changes to it anymore I've started paying attention to the number of times I have to reboot it. I'm averaging about 1 or 2 hangs per week that require a reboot. It just simply isn't a stable device for me. I've only now just begun to troubleshoot the issue though so it sounds like you're way ahead of me. I will look and see if I'm having the same symptoms.

Hi

Can you try turning off upnp on your firewall? I just turned it off and it seems OK for a long time.

Hi. 

Connection Refused - Policy violation

Explanation: Deny Policies is enabled and Allow Policies is not enabled by default, resulting in this Connection Refused Policy Violation Error. 

Make sure the router has the latest firmware installed to it. Most of the times, an outdated firmware can really affect the router's performance. 

As per your queries, 
1) Is it possible to purge the system log automatically on schedule? 

Ans: Disable the Deny Policies under Log settings

2) Is it possible to have the router BLOCK and DROP an IP from connecting to the router and disabling the block automatically over time? 

Ans: Access Controls List can do this for you.

3) Why does the LRT224 hang so often?

Ans: It is possibly because of an outdated firmware. 

3.a Shouldn't it be able to just stay up? And perform its job as a router? 

Ans: It should always stay up just like any other routers

3.b What can I do to troubleshoot the situation?

Ans: Please give us more information about the issue. Make sure to provide your current network setup and what you want to accomplish. We will provide you with the information you need.

Thaddeus - 14850
Linksys Technical Support

i have tried your solutions and it does not work.

i am sure i have the latest firmware

and the ACLs in the router are for local access ACL.

its impossible to block access from a remote connection as we do not know what the originating IP nor mac address is

that said, i have switched off uPNP on the LRT224 and its now working stably. is quite clear to me that uPNP is at fault here.

it would be great if you guys can really look into uPNP as an issue as that is causing the router to hang.

[ Edited ]

I turned off UPnP and so far I'd say my router is working better. I never could get UPnP to work with my XBox One so I had port forwards setup to get my XBox working with multiplayer games, but I left UPnP turned on anyway. That actually seemed to cause problems as I would have to reboot the router occasionally to play multiplayer games despite having the appropriate port forwards in place and the NAT type showing open. I disabled UPnP a few days ago and my XBox is now working much better and haven't had to reboot the router in several days now. So yeah, I would say something is definitely wrong with UPnP.

Expert

[ Edited ]

It looks like no one has mention the standard fix for this issue:

Update the firmware to the latest version, then reset to factory default and reconfigure from scratch (no saved config file). This is critical and is required with LRT routers.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

i have done this the very first time i encountered this issue.

when i first encountered the issue, i was on v1.0.4.03

the unit hung repeatedly the first time i restored an old config.

so i reconfigured everything.

a week later the same problem started happening again.

i reconfigured again once after that and the problem still persisted.

i figured that i couldn't be re-configuring the router all the time, that was when i decided to post the issue here.

[ Edited ]

Disabling UPnP doesn't work. I just had another hang about 30 minutes ago that required a reboot. I was watching Netflix when this happened. The interesting thing is that Netflix kept working presumably because the router was still performing it's primary function of routing packets, but other services like DHCP, DNS, router logs, configuration website, etc. all stopped working. Because I couldn't connect to its website I had to pull the plug on it.

I am running the latest firmware 1.0.4.03. I will try resetting to factory defaults and reconfiguring without using the backup file. But, man, that is a lot of work and based on bcool's response I'm not convinced that'll work.

Expert

When you restored the old config file on the new firmware you corrupted it.

Only a reset to factory defaults and a reconfigure from scratch can fix it.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support