Accepted Solution

A USB Wireless adapter that doesn't require CD to install

Hello,

I'm asking this because I have a Linksys wireless USB adapter that does not require a CD for installation, I just connect it to any computer and it installs automatically. But unfortunately it doesn't have its model written and I can't figure it out (and it is too old).

So, my question is: Do you know any Linksys USB wireless adapter that is installed automatically when you connect it to the PC and does not require a CD?

Expert

Re: A USB Wireless adapter that doesn't require CD to install

[ Edited ]

A lot of them especially if you are running Windows 10, are you running Windows?

I just saw you said PC, so I am assuming Windows...

In device manager under network adapters what name is given for it?

DD-WRT r36168: WRT3200ACM, WRT1200ACv1, WRT1900ACv1
Velop: WHW0101 x3, RE6500, RE9000
TWC/Spectrum - 300/25
SysLog Watcher 5, Security Onion Intrusion Detection System on Virtual Box

Yes, it's for Windows, but every one I've tried is only installed automatically in Windows 10, but not in Windows 7, just that one.

I want an adapter that can be automatically installed on any Windows without a CD.

It shows a generic name: 802.1n wireless adapter, or something like that. It doesn't show any specific model name.

Expert

If you go to properties of the adapter and go to the Driver tab, then to Driver Details can you take a screenshot of it and post it here. Also, is there a way you can take a picture of the adapter itself and post it as well. Trying to narrow down what it may be.

It installs without a driver CD in 10 becuase Windows already has a driver built in for it, basically if the device came out after Windows 7, it won't have the driver built in.

TWC/Spectrum - 300/25

Sorry, I was wrong. I've searched on Google and now I discover that this is not a Linksys adapter. This is a Newlink adapter, I thought both were the same.

Anyway, do you know any Linksys adapter that can be installed automatically in Windows 7 without a driver CD? Sometimes it's hard to have to install the drivers from a CD or a file when you have many computers to configure with an adapter.

Expert

[ Edited ]

I haven't used 7 in a long time, but I think this is the "oldest" adapter that Linksys still sells that may work without an install CD, https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-AE1200/ .

You my be able to find even older ones online, how many computers are you planning on using the adapter with, or are you installing adapters on multiple computers, and do you care about what speed the adapter(s) are?

I may ask Chadster766 if he knows for sure if that model will work without a CD, or if he knows of another alternative.

TWC/Spectrum - 300/25

I'll take a look to that one.

I'm planning to use it on a lot of computers, I don't have an exact number, but I'm a technical support, and when I bring my clients' computers to my office I use a USB adapter instead of an internet cable to manage the computer, and I want one that can be installed without a CD to make my support process easier.

I have one like that, the Newlink that I thought was a Linksys, but it's so old that it doesn't appear anymore, so I'm looking for Linksys options.

I was thinking about that and there may be other types of adapters. I think there are adapters that have the installation driver inside them, so the adapter is also like the CD, which triggers when you connect them. I do not know if Linksys has them, which could be enough.

Hi there

See:

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Adapters/WUSB54GR-Will-it-work-on-a-Windows-7-64-Bit-syste...

I was not expecting my WUSB54GR to work in Win7 AT ALL!  Then when I installed the OS over the weekend, to my pleasant surprise it worked straight away without me having to do anything.  Strange because it says here on the website that it will not be compatible.  

Anyhow, so you could maybe look to try one of them?

Cheers 

Sounds good, I'll take a look. Thanks!

Hi, ChainLink. Thanks for sharing. We'll have our Team check into this.

Rosalyn - 21986
Linksys Technical Support