WUSB54GR - Will it work on a Windows 7 64-Bit system? A definitive answer would be great...!

Hi all

I don't like changing things when they are not broken, and that goes for hardware as much as software...  Smiley Happy

But my WinXP installation now has problems I cannot solve and so I am moving onto Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.  I am trying to work out what HW will need replacing.  According to the Linksys site, the WUSB54GR adaptor I have will not be compatible and has no 64-Bit drivers (third from the bottom on the USB list):  

https://www.linksys.com/nz/support-article?articleNum=134963

But I have also been reading through the forum and there seem to be a lot of instances where people have managed to get their old USB adapters to work in 64-Bit OSes.  Also, I ran the Windows 7 Upgrader Advisor and it reported that the adapter IS compatible.  So does anyone know what the definiteive answer is please?

On a more general note, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to the internet side of computers, so can anyone tell me (or give me a link to an explanation of) what difference the speed of an adapter makes, and any other relvant info on the subject?  Am I daft trying to use such an old adapter?  Or does the fact that i live in a slow area mean the adapter speed doesn't matter? Connection speed = 2.7Mb/s.       

Many thanks

Re: WUSB54GR - Will it work on a Windows 7 64-Bit system? A definitive answer would be great...!

Anybody?  Smiley Happy

Expert

Re: WUSB54GR - Will it work on a Windows 7 64-Bit system? A definitive answer would be great...!

ChainLink wrote:

Anybody?  Smiley Happy

Go with what the official article states.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Hi there

Well, it took a while but I finally got onto Windows 7 over the weekend...  I was kind of forced into it as my XP HDD would not boot.

As such, I did not have a wireless adapter to use.  So after installing Win7 I plugged my WUSB54GR into the back of the PC.  Windows found a driver for it without me having to do ANYTHING and it has been workiing perfectly since.  On the one hand I would like to update the driver to one directly from Linksys.  On the other, I don't want to fix something that is not broken Smiley Happy

So I wondered whether anyone could share their thoughts as to why and how this has happened, possibly even against the odds.  And also whether people think I should leave it as it is or try updating the driver.

Cheers

A quick update....

Everything is still workig perfectly with the wireless adapter and no driver (well, a driver from the Win7 installation).  

I had a Live Chat as well to find out whether I should look to update the driver to a Linksys one.  The answer was that there is no Linksys driver available, and that because of GPL (General Public License) rules a driver is no longer available for download.  The only option is to make a request to GPL.  This was all quite new and foreign to me, but I did the request any way and will now wait to see what happens.  

That mind end up all being irrelevant because the Win7 driver is doing a fine job.  What is confusing though is that there were a few threads I came across in which people were struggling to get their WUSB54GR working in Win7.  Go figure!

Expert

I recommend "don't fix it if its not broken" policy Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Chadster766 wrote:

Go with what the official article states.

Chadster766 wrote:

I recommend "don't fix it if its not broken" policy Smiley Very Happy

OK, I'll ignore the former and go with the latter Smiley Happy  Many thanks!