WUSB6100M adapater suddenly BSOD all the time. Windows 10 X64. Was working previously...

[ Edited ]

Quote from an apparent solution:

Download the Windows 7 driver from the Linksys support site and extract the files.

Open Device Manager

1. Click Network Adapters
  2. Linksys WUSB6300, Right click and select "Update Driver Software..."
  3. Browse my computer for driver software
  4. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  5. Have Disk...
  6. Browse to the extracted driver folder from the Linksys website
  7. Select netrtwlanu and hit open
  8. Press next to finish installation
(end quote)

Chadster / All,

I am confused by step 3 and the other thread where this solution is posted. How can you right click on the 6300 in Device Manager to uninstall it when  you only have a WUSB6100M (the MU-MIMO AC600 adapter).?

I am getting BSOD constantly now with one of my 3 WUSB6100M adapters. It worked well for a while but now crashes consistently when using speedtest (Adobe flash) on Firefox (32 bit). Windows 10 64 bit OS and 64 bit CPU AMD A8 latptop.

My other WUSB6100M (connected to a Surface Pro 2) also crashed a few times when I first got it (either on my Surface Pro 2 or on the Asus netbook I have to my wife when I got the Surface Pro 2), so the device seems to have stability issues.

That being said I have been using the adapaters a while now and aside from the initial issues with the Netbook or Surface Pro 2 ands the WUSB6100M and the sudden issues (since this Sunday) on my other 17.3 inch AMD A8 laptop, it was working well (in the preirod between the two).

Windows confirms the BSOD was due to athuac8x.sys (googling on that file returns nothing amazingly!!!).

Here is a synopsis I wrote to someone I know via e-mail:

I am getting BSOD all the time since Sunday. Linksys MU-MIMO WUSB6100M wifi adapter appears to be culprit or USB port it is using,
Reinstalled Windows from scratch but no luck (it did help though in that previously I was just getting a garbled screen at crash time and then event viewer showed ATIxxxx which is a display driver issue); whereas after reinstalling Windows I got a true BSOD with an error message (unhandled exception e.g.) and the name of the driver file culprit.

Between Sunday and today it was only happening on speedtest app (which uses Adobe flash); today (after reinstalling Windows 10 last night) it crashed even when NOT using speedtest. 
Before Sunday it was not crashing at all; all I did was reinstall an old cable modem (SB 6141) Sunday afternoon after returning my Netgear CM1000 D3.1 while I await my SB8200 cable modem.

Also can't find anything on google for the wifi driver file referenced in the error report!   athuac8x.sys

Any tools I can use to figure out what the root cause is. The wifi adapter only has ONE driver version (so nothing to roll back to) and I had been using the wifi adapter for weeks without issue before the problems started Sunday; did a system restore Sunday to go back to a time when I had no issues and that did not help).
Would be able to trouble shoot more if it did not reboot every time costing me ~ 7 minutes or so every time! I can't use built in wifi (long term) because it is much slower and I have a 200 Mbps plan. But built-in wifi is the workaround for now.

Thanks for any tips on the apparent 6300 solution to make the 6100M work (if I understood it correctly that is). As i said I don't see how I can perform someone of the steps without owning a 6300.

I found someone else's explanation, but again some step must be missing and the final steps says to plug in the 6300,  but the thread he is rpelying in (like the other thread I found) is about the 6100M NOT the 6300...

Re: Wrong Linksys WUSB6100M driver in Windows 10
Did you try Chadster766's steps? Seems to work for most of these problems.

Well you download the WUSB6300 Windows 10 driver from the Linksys support site.

The extract the zip file contents and the netrtwlanu.inf will be available.

In the Windows 10 Device Manager right click the WUSB6300 network adapter and select Uninstall. Make sure you also uninstall any of the CD software that came with the unit.

Then right click netrtwlanu.inf file and select Install. After the driver has been installed plug the WUSB6300 into the USB port.

Re: WUSB6100M adapater suddenly BSOD all the time. Windows 10 X64. Was working previously...

Can anyone help? Posted on Jan 25th and still not one reply from Linksys over a week later. Very disappointing.

We own 3 WUSB6100M adapters and this lack of support is surprising. Chadster is usually helpful; if he is not around, it would be nice if someone else could help...

The BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) crashes are still occurring... Smiley Sad   Happens  ONLY when I run Speedtest.net which uses Adobe Flash.

Error is on athuac8x.sys. Windows 10 64 bit:    System Thread Exception Not Handled (athuac8x.sys)

Expert

Re: WUSB6100M adapater suddenly BSOD all the time. Windows 10 X64. Was working previously...

I think the WUSB6100M adapter is probably defective.

I tested with a Microsoft Surface running a fully updated Windows 10 Pro. Under full throughput traffic load up\down for 20mins and using edge for www.speedtest.net flash I wasn't able to trigger a BSOD.

I also checked the Driver files detail and the same driver file  athuac8x.sys was used.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

chadster766 wrote:

I think the WUSB6100M adapter is probably defective.

I tested with a Microsoft Surface running a fully updated Windows 10 Pro. Under full throughput traffic load up\down for 20mins and using edge for www.speedtest.net flash I wasn't able to trigger a BSOD.

I also checked the Driver files detail and the same driver file  athuac8x.sys was used.

Thanks Chad, but I tried a different WUSB6100M and it has the same issue.

The adapters both work fine on my Surface Pro Windows 10  64 bit but not on my HP laptop also Windows 10 64 bit anymore.

They used to wqork fine on the HP laptop as well but recently started givng consistent BSOD on speedtest.net (no changes on my side).

Other than with speddtest.net, the adapters work fine on the HP Windows 10 64 bit laptop. I tried with the built-in Atheros wifi adapter and there are no issues with running speedtest 9no BSOD); it only happens with the WISB6100M.

And the athuac8x.sys is explicitly called out on the exception page (BSOD) for the exception not handled error.

Perhaps a rare conflict in the code that occurs under very specific circumstances?

Any logs I can send Linksys?

Expert

I have a HP Laptop 4520s I can test with but it's Windows 7 Pro.

Did you disable the internal wireless adapter when using the WUSB6100M. I always do that as policy.

Linksys

chadster766 wrote:

I have a HP Laptop 4520s I can test with but it's Windows 7 Pro.

Did you disable the internal wireless adapter when using the WUSB6100M. I always do that as policy.

Yes, I always do that to avoid any conflicts between the two adapters and to ensure only the external one is used (internal one is much slower).

[ Edited ]

Today it happened when I was not even running a speedtest nor browsing the web.

I was connected to my work VDI and suddenly got a a BSOD. This happened another time last week as well.

Anything I can send to Linksys to check?

This is extremely frustrating at this point as you can imagine, especially when I am working from home.

Update - I believe I fixed it myself. I downloaded the drivers for my laptop from HP and  reinstalled them all last weekend. I have not had a BSOD since.

I strongly suspect Windows might have previously selected an incorrect / incompatible driver that may have caused or at least contributed to the BSOD crashes.

I spoke too soon.

My laptop crashed again yesterday and I was not even running SpeedTest nor Adobe Flashis on any other site! Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

Any other suggestions?

Going to check if Windows updated any drivers.

Expert

Sorry I'm out of ideas as far as the adapter is concerned. It looks like other hardware\drivers in your laptop is likely the cause of the BSOD.

AFAIK there is no other reports of this issue with the WUSB6100M adapter.

Linksys