Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Can I disable remote administration for the WRT1900ac?

Previously, the Linksys administration console had a simple checkbox to enable or disable remote administration.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I've looked everywhere in the WRT1900ac's console and I don't see anything about remote administration. Can I disable it?

And if not, why not? Disabling remote access (assuming it's not needed) is always one of the top suggestions for securing a router.

Thanks,

Andy

Anonymous

Re: Can I disable remote administration for the WRT1900ac?

There is no remote admiistration feature on this model router. It's now using LinksysSmartWiFi.com as a remote access feature and is set up thru that site and has to be activated thru that site to remote access. If you haven't set up this feature then you good. You can later if if needed. By default it's not set up out of the box. If you have set it up then you can go in and deactivate or remote the router from being in the service. 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I noticed that they have you set up remote administration by associating your router with your linksyssmartwifi.com account. But it seems to me that at some point, behind the scenes, the router has to persistently leave open a TCP port so that an external agent (in this case the linksyssmartwifi.com website) can can change its settings. That way when I'm away from home I can visit the website, and the website will have access to my router and change settings.

Are you pretty sure the remote administration port won't get opened up unless I associate my router with the website? If so, I'm all set.

Anonymous

It won't be access or enabled unless it's been associated. 

[ Edited ]

Remote Administration is available on the public IP and I have not set up the cloud based management, now I need to go create an account to review the settings in the cloud portal - I didn't need this feature when I bought the device, and don't want it now - this is a rediculous security breach.

Expert

dtlgc wrote:

Remote Administration is available on the public IP and I have not set up the cloud based management, now I need to go create an account to review the settings in the cloud portal - I didn't need this feature when I bought the device, and don't want it now - this is a rediculous security breach.

You can reset the WRT to factory defaults using the WebUI. Then reconfigure the WRT from scratch choosing all Manual setup options which will disable all SmartWifi services.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

thanks,

I may give that a try - allowing login via external IP does not work for our security environment.