Highlighted

Cannot connect to router USB drive via WIndows 10 SOLUTION

[ Edited ]

I connected my 3TB USB3.0 to my EA7500 and the router recognised it. My media player conencted to it and I could connect to it via FTP but the windows explorer would not connect at all at the given address \\192.168.1.1

After much head scratching and chatting to online support to no avail I found the solution.

Linksys firmware uses the SMBv1 protocol which was disabled by Microsoft in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update due to it being vulnerable to exploits. Whilst we await Linksys to update their firmwares to SMBv2 or SMBv3 you can enable the protocol in Windows 10 yourselves.

Microsoft Page

Go to Programs and Features in Control panel and click Turn WIndows Features On and Off

Scroll down to where you see SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and expand. You will see the client box is unticked. Tick it and click OK and it will ask you to reboot.

linksys.png

Once done you can manually add a Network drive using the IP address

*edit* Put in link to Microsoft notes

Re: Cannot connect to router USB drive via WIndows 10 SOLUTION

Would Linksys fix this sometime?

Where can I ask?

Maybe DD-WRT is a better formware, I've read it supports SMB 2 and 3... but it will be a real pain to install it and configure it...

Lazy me...

J.

---------------
Jean Sagi

[ Edited ]

I tried the solution of checking the SMB 1.0 CIFS client in Win 10.  It worked and allowed me to map the USB drive as a network drive.  However, within a minute or so I was advised by Webroot that a threat showed up and referenced it to the IP of my Linksys router.  So I undid the check mark and restarted my pc.  I assumed that continuing with the SMB 1.0 CIFS client would continue to expose me to virus etc. threats.  My Linksys app reports that my firmware is up to date.

Wouldn't Microsoft need to provide a and updated client so I could safely use it to map a usb drive on my router?

I meant to add that I am using a Linksys EA6350 [linksyssmartwifi]

Pulling my hair out. I have a NAS which is used for daily file serving but also have a big USB HDD attached to Linksys EA9500 router that I use for backing up movies and other things that rarely accessed but that I can't afford to lose. I hadn't accessed it in several months and much to my surprise, the USB drive would not show up on my network then I "needed it" the other day. USB drive woked fine when connected directly to to computer. Rebooted PC, router, etc., all to no avail. Went to a different PC and had same issue so assumed it was a router problem since it would be unlikely that multiple PCs all get messed up at same time. The strange thing was that the media server portion of the router was still working fine ?!?

Issue turned out to be SMB issue as described buy Jontom17. I probably hadn't accessed the HDD attatched to the router in the past few months and Microsoft thoughtfully "improved" the safey of all my computers by turning off SMB during one of their recent updates. In the process, they prevented access to Linksys USB attatched storage. I'm now in the process of "fixing" all my computers to restore access.

HUGE thanks Jontom17!!! I've spent hours on this today and you likely saved me many more frustrated hours.