Accepted Solution

Connect USB HD to E3200 Router

Trying to connect a WD easystore USB HD to E3200 Router.  Router sees the HD as “Disk1” but only as “Total”  and no shareable partition with a “Create Share” button on the Storage/Disk menu.  Only other option seen is to format HD.  HD is already formatted (NTFS) and can be used when attached directly to Window 10 PC.  Any ideas?

Re: Connect USB HD to E3200 Router

Hi, laackwj5905. To clarify, do you mean to say that the file system of the drive is NTFS? If so, that seems a bit odd because NTFS does have sharing permissions. For isolation, have you tried another flash drive to check if the same issue persist? If not, i recommend that workaround. You may try to format your drive into FAT32 as well. 

Nestor_C 21974
Linksys Technical Support

The files system of the WD easystore USB external HD is NTFS.  I've tested two other devices:  A Seagate FreeAgent drive with NTFS and a Dell thumb drive with FAT16 file systems, both work.  FYI I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell PC. 

Please check out this link to check the tested USB drives for E3200. It could also be that the drive is not compatible with the router. The devices not mentioned are not guaranteed to work with it, however, we'll still check out some details that might help. Is the router's firmware updated? Also, what's the capacity of the drive? If it is more than 1TB, it will require more power and the router may not have enough to power for both itself and the drive. We recommend that you use an external power source for the drive.

Rosalyn - 21986

Checked the link and the drive is not listed specifically, but the router is able to identify it and how much storage it has, so I was hoping it would be compatible.  I have updated the routers firware.  It is a 1TB drive.  I am unable to use an external power source with this drive.  Thanks for your help.

No worries, laackwj5905. You might want to try other drives that is compatible with the router and see how it goes. A lower capacity than 1TB perhaps. 

Nestor_C 21974
Highlighted

Finally got brave enough to reformat the WD easystore through the router's menu as FAT32 file system.  The WD easystore external USB hard drive was recognized by the Linksys E3200 Router and I was able to share the partion.  Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.