prr
Accepted Solution

DHCP reservation table

[ Edited ]

I just assigned a manual static IP to my wirless printer, and reserved that in the DHCP reservation table. That is working fine.

The problem is, ALL of the devices listed in that table, take the name of the device that is reserved, after saving the settings. Even if I change the name (to something like "printer"), then all the other devices also take that name, when I save the settings.

Is this anything I should be concerned about? I have updated the firmware (did it yesterday); is there something I can or should do about this?

The changes take place in the "Client Name" column of that top table.

Linksys E1200
N300
Expert

Re: DHCP reservation table

Never seen that happen. If you remove then reapply power does it clear it? Also, if you reserve an ip in the router you may want to leave the printer in dhcp instead of assigning it a static ip. Its easier to admin that way. Isually if you use a static ip it will be outside the dhcp range.

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please
feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
Firmware: davidc502 works great!
EA6900 Stock Firmware
prr

Removing and then reapplying doesn't take care of it. Even removing it, and then manually entering it (including pasting in the MAC address)---when I save the settings, they all take the name of that saved client.

Linksys E1200
N300
Anonymous

IT's recommended that you either set a static IP address ON the device or set a reservation ON the router, Not both. I recommend setting a static on the printer as it doesn't need much, if any, internet or router mangement. IT what I do with my 3 printers.Smiley Wink

prr

Well that's easy enough. I've already got the static IP on the printer itself. I didn't know you shouldn't do both. I honestly forget what I did with my previous router.

Thanks.

Linksys E1200
N300
Anonymous

Enjoy.

Expert

I would use an ip  that is not in the range of the dhcp if you are going to set it on the device. You could cause a conflict otherwise. 

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
EA6900 Stock Firmware
prr

bigdave240 wrote:

I would use an ip  that is not in the range of the dhcp if you are going to set it on the device. You could cause a conflict otherwise. 

Wait a second. When I log into my browser UI for the router, on the Basic tab, in the Basic Setup section, I see that my router has in the DHCP Server Settings area, is

IP Address Range: 192 . 168 . 1. 100 to 149

The advice I recieved in this thread (http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Assinging-my-wireless-printer-an-IP/td-p/987204) was the exact opposite of what you said, if I am understanding everyone correctly.

So you are saying that I should set the IP for my printer, to be OUTSIDE the range of 192.168.1.101-149?

Linksys E1200
N300
Highlighted
Expert

The way i have always done it is if you let the dhcp assign the ip it will do so from that range. Same for reserving ip. That way the router keeps track of it. But if you use a static ip then use one outside that range. Otherwise the router may possibly try to add a new device and use that ip from the range not knowing that you assigned it to the printer already. 

Hardware:
WRT3200ACM
EA6900 Stock Firmware
prr

bigdave240 wrote:

The way i have always done it is if you let the dhcp assign the ip it will do so from that range. Same for reserving ip. That way the router keeps track of it. But if you use a static ip then use one outside that range. Otherwise the router may possibly try to add a new device and use that ip from the range not knowing that you assigned it to the printer already. 

OK, I'll do that. I will re-assign my printer an IP from outside that range.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Linksys E1200
N300