E4200 Change Guest Network Name

Is it possible to change the Guest Network Name on the E4200? And if so, is it possible to do so without having to do a complete reset of the router and without using the Cisco Connect software?

Expert

Re: E4200 Change Guest Network Name

Although you can also manage your router through the Web Admin page, (Type 192.168.1.1 in a browser address field) Your Guest Network will always be your routers SSID with "-guest" after it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Edited ]

Yup.  I agree.  you can only change your router's SSID. Smiley Happy

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
Expert

The Guest network is only managed by the Cisco Connect software.

not with E4200.  you can configure guest access from both the GUI and the Cisco software.  But eitherway, there's no way you can change the Guest Network SSID.  It will always be the SSID you set on the main network with the suffix -guest.  

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."

Hey guys,

I've been searching for an answer to this question and I can't find it anywhere.  I want my guest access to be named "my SSID"-guest, which is what you guys are saying is the default anyway.  Mine instead says Cisco6723263-guest.

I run a small business where parents sit around and want to connect.  Everytime I have to tell them its Cisco######-guest, which is a pain to explain and unprofessional looking.

My SSID is my business name, and I have done many things some other sites said would fix this, but its not working for me.

Is there anyway to get my networks to read SSID and SSID-guest?

Thanks for the help,

-GBM2

Expert

[ Edited ]

Reading the above information you can change the guest SSID using the Cisco Connect software and change your SSID.

Ok, I suppose I asked my question too generally and opened myself up for that response.

I read the above information, which prompted me to reply, and the solution you guys have is "Cisco Connect Software."  I was hoping someone would elaborate a little on that point.  I am not a very computer literate person, the extent of my router knowledge is logging in via a website and adjusting the settings there.  When I google Cisco Connect Software, it seems to be an aditional program used to do the same thing, which I need to download.  Is this correct?  Should I be downloading something or am I just totally clueless?

- GBM2

Expert

[ Edited ]

Yes you need to download and install the Cisco connect Software.  That is the only way to manage the Guest account for the router (unless things have changed).   Be aware the new SSID will still have the -guest tagged to it.

Linksys is the only vendor that does this.  Also the Guest account in NOT encrypted for security.  I would not use it in a public place at all.  This is for home use only.  All other manufacturers except Linksys, can use full WA2-AES for encrypted information on their Guest Networks.  You can also name your Guest SSID to anything you want.  Something to think about.

Thanks for the quick responses and for the additional info, I did not know that.  Much appreciated.

- GBM2