Anonymous

Re: E4200 v1 firmware 1.0.06 "Back Up Configuration" not working

While you wait, it would be a good test to see if an older version of FF might help you out though.

Good Luck.

I also confirm this new problem, which appeared immediately upon upgrade to 1.0.06 from 1.0.04. I'm a UK customer and downloaded from http://support.linksys.com/en-eu/support/routers/E4200/download .

The relase notes mention new browser session ID support. It's likely that the bug is related to this.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

I supposed going back to 1.0.04 fixes this? 

I've not downgraded yet because I made a backup immediately prior to the upgrade, and will rely on that until I have new changes to backup. That assumes that nothing else broke.
Anonymous

Let us know how it goes...

Never use a backup version from previous firmware when upgrading to new after. It can cause major issues. Linksys even states that. The feature is only for when things maybe get corrupt or you want to restore some settings. With in the same firmware version. I personally have still not yet heard back from Linksys. I am sure they are certainly aware of it now as other users have complained.

Thanks, I'm aware. I would downgrade first. I upgraded to 1.0.06 because of claimed security fixes (not specified) in the release notes. So sticking with 1.0.06 may be sensible. Further, downgrading purely for further testing is not without risks. I might have to perform a factory reset before downgrading and then restoring from my backup. If, for any reason, my backup was bad, I would have to rebuild the settings from scratch, costing a great deal of time and annoyance. Having used the router for quite a while, my settings are now quite stable. So, I will therefore stick with 1.0.06 for the time being and hope that a fix is released soon.

Thanks for sharing this with us, FattiesGoneWild. I am positive that there will be an update from Linksys Team about this sooner or later.

I can also confirm this to be a bug with the 1.0.06 Firmware.

I can also confirm that reverting back to any previous version of the firmware from [1.0.05.007] all the way back to [1.0.00.013] this issue does not exist (Yes, I actually have an archive of all previous versions and tried each one!).  It was only with the release of v1.0.06 that this issue with the "Back up Configuration" not working appeared.

For those of us, and there are many, that know how to properly use a router, we make setting changes often for different tweaks, have many computers and wireless devices allowed on strict policies AND we keep backup's of our configurations so we do not have to type all this in manually every time we make a change or reset the router to try something new.  This is a very important feature and should work.

I have been on chat as well as talked with Tech Support and I get the impression they are trying everything possible to deny this is an issue and get you to upgrade to the latest and greatest router ... that is unacceptable!  The E4200 v1 router, despite its age, is a great router and for me personally, one of the best I have used to date and still works flawlessly.  If you like custom programming, it is one of the most recommended for that as well.

I am very pleased Linksys has continued to release firmware updates year after year so thank you.  I (we) only ask that you once again release another update to correct this seemingly simple issue. 

To any Linksys representatives that may read this forum.
1) Yes, we realize that our Version 1 E4200 Routers are out of Warranty!
2) No we have no interest in replacing our routers because there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.
3) YOUR firmware was released 5/30/2014 which places that "Linksys Product" within your own warranty policy limitations.

-  It is the Firmware we are asking for support on and for Linksys to acknowledge!

4) We already know how to reset our routers and install firmware ... we would not be at version 1.0.06 if we did not know this already!  Please to not provide useless queue-card recommendations like 'reset your router', 're-flash the firmware', 'try a different browser', etc. as this has already been done.
5) Refer back to Item 3 above, re-read it, repeat as necessary until you firmly understand the problem is the Firmware not the router.

It appears Belkin do not want to do anything. Smiley Frustrated I too was surprised there was an update. I will stay with 1.06 unless I see strange things happening.