Re: E4200 v1 firmware 1.0.06 "Back Up Configuration" not working

Having  given up on any further firmware bugfixes, I only found out there was a new firmware release this week.  Kudos to Belkin for that.

Of course like you all I find that having done the update, the Backup Config button is not responding.  Not to http, https, not FF, Chrome or IE.  This is a dead parrot.

I know it is a big tick worhty of comment that you have provided an update on this old a product - but guys - you can't really leave as big a fault as this in the firmware can you???  Huh?

RES

Anonymous

To safely update FW, I recommend doing the following:
1. Save router config to file first using IE or FF with all security add-ons disabled.
2. Factory reset the router with all other devices disconnected or turned OFF accept for 1 wired PC.
3. Reload or Update the FW using IE or FF. Just download the FW file to your local wired LAN PC.
4. Factory reset the router and then set up from scratch first and test with out loading the saved config from file. Check to see if any problems are fixed before loading the saved config from file.

PC 3rd Party Security Software Configurations
Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired LAN PC while testing.
Disable any downloading client software managers, i.e. Torrents or similar.

reszerve wrote:

Having  given up on any further firmware bugfixes, I only found out there was a new firmware release this week.  Kudos to Belkin for that.

Of course like you all I find that having done the update, the Backup Config button is not responding.  Not to http, https, not FF, Chrome or IE.  This is a dead parrot.

I know it is a big tick worhty of comment that you have provided an update on this old a product - but guys - you can't really leave as big a fault as this in the firmware can you???  Huh?

RES

The backup button is still broke and unresponsive. Linksys never got back with me and it looks like they have no intention of fixing it obviously. No amount of "steps" can or will fix this when upgrading. Its been tried. 

Anonymous

I'd phone contact them again and ask about it...If they wont do anything then I presume that the ruoter needs to be replaced. 

FattiesGoneWild wrote:

The backup button is still broke and unresponsive. Linksys never got back with me and it looks like they have no intention of fixing it obviously. No amount of "steps" can or will fix this when upgrading. Its been tried. 

Normally I do a little bit of reading and research before upgrading. All I had to do was put '1.0.06' in google and immediately this forum topic comes up! I've performed many firmware updates and I've had a good run w/o any issues... until now  Smiley Sad I'm running version 1 of the E4200. Overall I have been very happy with this router. I previously had the wrt54g and I would often times have to reboot this router. The E4200 has been a good and reliable device at least for me and even with the 1.0.06 firmware, all services work perfectly fine, of course with the exception of the "Back Up Configuration" button.

I have done a small handful of things to move past this with no luck.. including first trying to launch the "Back Up Configuration" button from another browser, then another browser, then performing the same check on these 3 browsers (ie, chrome, ff) on another computer. After that I tried clearing out the cookies on two of the browsers but still the button did absolutely nothing. I also rebooted my computers and tried launching the Back Up Configuration, but still the same behavior is exhibited. I then ran through the upgrade again. The upgrade / re-installation of 1.0.06 was again successful. I performed the same tests as before but still was unable to backup the configuration. This is so very frustrating.

My only idea at this point is to do a revert to factory defaults and then retry. Unfortunately I just have a lot of configuration items , probably around 30 different mac filters, a lot of port fwding,etc.  This is all I do at work and this is the last thing that I want do when I come home is this. I've taken some screen shots/notepad copies and I guess I will eventually do this - but honestly I think I am just unnecessarily creating more work for myself. I read that FattiesGoneWild did the reset but this offered no change. I am really curious. I read one post that someone actually was able to get the Back Up Configuration button to launch.. not sure who posted that but I'm wondering what version (1 or 2) this person was running. I'm also very curious how many other people were actually able to launch the backup button at 1.0.06 and what version they are running. Maybe someone can create a survey on some other external site.

I have to potentially blow away all my configs for the mere fact that this firmware is busted, with the hopes that I can get a backup function to work. I mean the whole purpose of this backup - for anyone who cares to use it like us, is so that we don't have to manually enter all our configs again. Its just madness and ironic!

I certainly will not recommend my company nor our partners to purchase nor enter into any proof of concept engagements with any Belkin products. The lack of response and attention to this matter from a Belkin representative is disappointing and should be concerning to any prospective Belkin customers.

Kudos to COGENCY’s comments – specifically #3. Belkin apparently does not honor their warranty as they have made no attempt to reassure its existing customer base that the problem is being investigated and/or a bug id has been identified and a fix is being developed. We have no clear understanding of Belkin’s position on this , nor do we know what steps are being taken to remediate this condition. This lack of transparency is unprofessional and not welcomed behavior by any service provider.

3) YOUR firmware was released 5/30/2014 which places that "Linksys Product" within your own warranty policy limitations.

-  It is the Firmware we are asking for support on and for Linksys to acknowledge!

[ Edited ]

For any user tagged as "Expert"  -  Please stop giving advise on canned fixes and suggesting a device needs to be replaced ... we have already covered this, in detail, multiple times.  This is a firmware issue not a proceedure or hardware issue.  You do not need to repeatedly give the same suggestions that do not work. Please go backwards in this thread and read my previous post on this topic a few times (it is about 5-6 posts backwards from this one).   As stated in that post, we already know how to upgrade our firmware and how to perform factory resets ... we would not be at 1.0.06 if we did not have this knowledge and the fact that we are at 1.0.06 and are concerned about a specific feature, this should tip you off to the fact we are not your average users.

Now, for those that are interested ....
I have been in contact with Linksys on this issue and have an open case with them.  They have acknowledged this issue and have been able to re-create the issue on their end.  I was told they will be moving this up in the chain to hopefully come up with a fix.  I certainly would not take my word for this nor take this as an official respose sooo .....

For any Linksys Employees that may be reading this forum:

Please review case number [03053086] and please provide an official response here in the forum with regard to the E4200 V1 Firmware 1.0.06 and the pending fix.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

If this is acually a FW issue and can be confirmed then it's beyond forum help to expect any fixes to come from the forum. The forum is here for users to post issues and to let other users help them in try to fix them. 99% of issues seen are user configuration issues or environment related. Those issues that can not be solved here in the forums needs direct support attention with Linksys support teams on the phone to either continue to resolve the issues or request and RMA. FW issues needs to be addressed by Linksys engineers and there support teams. Forums can only do so much. While posting issues in this forum is a great means of sharing information with other members and notifying Linksys of issues, Linksys escalates issues for resolution based on the volume of calls received through the official Linksys support desk. If Linksys receives a large number of calls pertaining to the same issue, that issue is more likely to be escalated as a problem for investigation and resolution. IF this doesn't meet your expectations then you'll need to find other alternatives. 

Once cases have been opened with official Linksys support, they wont communicate that here in the forums and will keep that to official phone support directly between the user who called in and the offical Linksys support. 

Good Luck

FurryNuts - I appreciate the response. I can agree with most of your points. Certainly the forum is not the best arena for the purposes of troubleshooting especially an issue such as this. The fact that there is already a support case and that Linksys engineering has been actively enageged on and able to recreate the symptoms on their end as indicated by Cognecy is helpful information. This level of motivated disclosure IMO would be better authored from a single Linksys support professional 'voice' rather than the client.  That just creates a better overall customer experience and reduces confusinon. As far as alternatives , they are clear to me if no solution is provided. 3 months is a reasonable timeframe from when the condition is able to be recreated by the vendor to offer up a solution or at least provide an update to the current efforts to rectify the code bug. Case listed by Cognecy  [03053086] was created on August 11, 2014. I also created another case for my unit just now.

Anonymous

I simpathize with everyones frustrustions and voicing them. We are all here to attempt to provide the best possible help as possible. Once we have exhausted all efforts here then, ya, of course users need to voice there concerns directly to Linksys and should keep in contact with them in hopes to get a final out come to the problem. "squeeky wheel gets the oil."

Most of us don't know any one Mfrs development cycle and test turn around processes as this is company confidential. In some cases, once some models age, the development may stop or may only be updated if there is a major security concern. We can presome at some point some Mfrs just phase out the models and move on to the next generation. The e4200 is getting a bit old now and is going on 3 years...warranty was 1 year and it's now 2014. This model router maybe falling under limited or reduced development and maybe headed into phased out sometime in the future. Just saying. Smiley Frustrated

Hope something can be done with Linksys support. Keep on them about it and let us know if you find out anything. 

oznoc76 wrote:

FurryNuts - I appreciate the response. I can agree with most of your points. Certainly the forum is not the best arena for the purposes of troubleshooting especially an issue such as this. The fact that there is already a support case and that Linksys engineering has been actively enageged on and able to recreate the symptoms on their end as indicated by Cognecy is helpful information. This level of motivated disclosure IMO would be better authored from a single Linksys support professional 'voice' rather than the client.  That just creates a better overall customer experience and reduces confusinon. As far as alternatives , they are clear to me if no solution is provided. 3 months is a reasonable timeframe from when the condition is able to be recreated by the vendor to offer up a solution or at least provide an update to the current efforts to rectify the code bug. Case listed by Cognecy  [03053086] was created on August 11, 2014. I also created another case for my unit just now.

Thank you Cognecy