Re: E4200 v1 firmware 1.0.06 "Back Up Configuration" not working

I also can confirm the problem with the BackupConfiguration-button using firmware 1.0.06.
I have downgraded back to firmware 1.0.05: Problem solved.

So, when will Linksys put a new firmware-version online for my Cisco Linksys E4200 v1.0 ?

BTW: I have never seen a forum-server with such a slow response as this one

[ Edited ]

JeffZwolle -   You are correct that reverting to V1.0.05 does resolve the problem but honestly, despite the fact the 'Back Up Configuration' link is not working, you are still much better off using v1.0.06.

V1.0.06 addressed multiple vulnerabilities in the platform to include XSS (Cross Site Scripting), the Moon Worm and others.  V1.0.06 is a very stable firmware with only the one shortcomming that we are all hoping for a fix at some point soon.

Please do not take the following comments as advice but mearly as 'data-point' information as this can brick your router if done wrong:

There are many varients of DDWRT, Tomato, OpenWRT, etc. that can be installed on your Router that are stable/secure (most are more secure than stock firmware) and in fact can enhance the performance of your router. There are always those with worries of voiding the warranty, but to my knowledge your E4200 V1 is already out of warranty so take that for what it is worth (just a data point of information to let you know there are alternatives).

The premise of this forum post has clarified there are no issues with the hardware or proceedure in upgrading.  Rather we are expecting warranty of the Linksys/Belkin product that is the "Firmware".

Add another confirmation of this bug, and let's all be honest that "bug" is exactly what this is. "Out-of-warrantee" does not equate to "end-of-support." As long as the manufacturer continues to provide support in the the form of patches and upgrades, they must not break major features like configuration backup!

Hopefully a fix will be released before long. If not, this become a customer support failure that needs to go viral. I believe in patience in these matters, but if this gets swept under the rug, so to speak, and the company suffers no consequences as a result, we have only ourselves to blame.

I suppose one of the things that bothers me the most is that this issue was not discovered by pre-release quality control checks. That is a policy failure that could affect any and all of their products. Why would I "upgrade" to a newer device from the same company when the same thing could happen on the next security update?

Thanks to all of you who reported this problem before me. Otherwise, I would be dealing with a mystery that could suck up hours of my time. Your posts have convinced me that the best thing I can do is to wait for another applicable firmware fix.

Good luck and thanks to all,

Dale

Anonymous

I think the best thing would be to phone contact Linksys support and talk to level 2 or higher support and see what can be done. If this is a bug and issue then it needs to be verified by Linksys labs and a push to fix it. This build was just released a few months back and users needs to let Linksys know about it. The more users phone in about it, the more apt Linksys will get it done. This is something that needs to be addressed by Linksys support as we can't do much here in the forums about it. 

NW_Admin wrote:

Add another confirmation of this bug, and let's all be honest that "bug" is exactly what this is. "Out-of-warrantee" does not equate to "end-of-support." As long as the manufacturer continues to provide support in the the form of patches and upgrades, they must not break major features like configuration backup!

Hopefully a fix will be released before long. If not, this become a customer support failure that needs to go viral. I believe in patience in these matters, but if this gets swept under the rug, so to speak, and the company suffers no consequences as a result, we have only ourselves to blame.

I suppose one of the things that bothers me the most is that this issue was not discovered by pre-release quality control checks. That is a policy failure that could affect any and all of their products. Why would I "upgrade" to a newer device from the same company when the same thing could happen on the next security update?

Thanks to all of you who reported this problem before me. Otherwise, I would be dealing with a mystery that could suck up hours of my time. Your posts have convinced me that the best thing I can do is to wait for another applicable firmware fix.

Good luck and thanks to all,

Dale

I too agree with FurryNutz in this regard so ...

To all that are experiencing issues with the Backup Configuration button on the E4200 v.1 router.

Please take some time and get on the phone with Linksys and report this issue. (Consumer Support: (800) 326-7114 )
Be warned the techs will do just about everything they can to get you to upgrade your router to a newer model OR will want you to go through the process of re-flashing, resetting, etc.  So with that said, when you call be sure you are armed with the following information:

Router:  E4200 v.1

Serial Number:
Current Firmware version:  1.0.06 Build 3 (Released 5/30/2014)

1) As much as they try to get you to mess with your hardware, insist this is not a hardware issue.  Firmly tell them and insist this is a Firmware bug that does not exist in any other version of the firmware.

2) If you cannot get past them wanting you to monkey with your router, which most of us have already done, ask (repeatedly if necessary) to be  passed to a higher level technician (e.g level 2 tech).  Better yet, ask if you can talk with the Engineering Department since this issue has already been reported multiple times by other users.

3) Let them know that per the forums (give them link to this thread if necessary), many people have reported this issue.

4) Be straight in our purpose that we are not asking for support on the hardware but rather we are insisting that Linksys provide support and resolution for the recent firmware that was released with a flaw/bug.

As an update to my own open case here is the latest:
I called in again today to get an update on my open case [03053086] and was given the number to their engineering department to get a status.  After about an hour+ on hold I gave up.  I will try again on Monday and see if I can get an update for everyone.  

Anonymous

Keep us posted on how it goes...

cognecy wrote:

I too agree with FurryNutz in this regard so ...

To all that are experiencing issues with the Backup Configuration button on the E4200 v.1 router.

Please take some time and get on the phone with Linksys and report this issue. (Consumer Support: (800) 326-7114 )
Be warned the techs will do just about everything they can to get you to upgrade your router to a newer model OR will want you to go through the process of re-flashing, resetting, etc.  So with that said, when you call be sure you are armed with the following information:

Router:  E4200 v.1

Serial Number:
Current Firmware version:  1.0.06 Build 3 (Released 5/30/2014)

1) As much as they try to get you to mess with your hardware, insist this is not a hardware issue.  Firmly tell them and insist this is a Firmware bug that does not exist in any other version of the firmware.

2) If you cannot get past them wanting you to monkey with your router, which most of us have already done, ask (repeatedly if necessary) to be  passed to a higher level technician (e.g level 2 tech).  Better yet, ask if you can talk with the Engineering Department since this issue has already been reported multiple times by other users.

3) Let them know that per the forums (give them link to this thread if necessary), many people have reported this issue.

4) Be straight in our purpose that we are not asking for support on the hardware but rather we are insisting that Linksys provide support and resolution for the recent firmware that was released with a flaw/bug.

As an update to my own open case here is the latest:
I called in again today to get an update on my open case [03053086] and was given the number to their engineering department to get a status.  After about an hour+ on hold I gave up.  I will try again on Monday and see if I can get an update for everyone.  

I just escalated for the same issue (case# 03319323).  Support acts like they never heard of this issue and completely waste your time even when you give them the URL to these complaints about this bug!

Anonymous

Did you escalate to level 2 or higher support? 

eots wrote:

I just escalated for the same issue (case# 03319323).  Support acts like they never heard of this issue and completely waste your time even when you give them the URL to these complaints about this bug!

[ Edited ]

Linksys support is utterly useless, they only escalated to the Customer Assurance Team.  At this rate we'll be waiting indefinitely for a fix to this firmware bug so I reinstalled the previous version.

Anonymous

Well the E series routes are getting to be a bit old now. Not sure if Linksys will be doing any moee updates one them. They seem to be mainly working on the EA series...