Re: E4200 v1 firmware 1.0.06 "Back Up Configuration" not working

Hey everyone. Linksys got back to me a few days ago actually and opened up case number 03365013..LOL....They told they were aware and I will notified if there is an update. Ummm.

Anonymous

Thanks for letting us know about the feedback. Keep us posted. 

Bro666 wrote:

Hey everyone. Linksys got back to me a few days ago actually and opened up case number 03365013..LOL....They told they were aware and I will notified if there is an update. Ummm.

Ok...I have a one-use work-around that will allow you to click the backup button and save your configuration. While these instructions should work with any real-time webpage editor, I used the latest Firefox release and will outline the steps used to accomplish the "fix".

First, I found that the reason it doesn't work is because of some bad code for that particular button. There is a line of code that reads:

<input type="button" value="Back Up Configuration" name="backup_b" onclick="do_href="Linksys_E4200V1_v1.0.06.cfg""></input>

It needs to be changed to:

<input type="button" value="Back Up Configuration" name="backup_b" onclick="window.location.href="Linksys_E4200V1_v1.0.06.cfg""></input>

To fix this in Firefox, login to your router's web console, and go to Administration --> Management page where the button resides. Hover over the "Back Up Configuration" button and right-click on it. When the context menu opens, left-click on "Inspect Element". The console should then open at the bottom of the page, and the line you need to fix will be highlighted.

Double-click over the bad code and alter as described above (and in pic below), then click the Back Up Configuration button and you should then have the popup window you expect in order to save your cfg file. 

Please post your results and Kudos. Enjoy!

backup_hack2.jpg

window.jpg

Anonymous

Aweaome info. Thanks for sharing. Hope this will help users out with this.

Shame on you Belkin/Linksys for not providing a proper fix since release. You have had more then enough time to rectifiy this. What a complete embarrassment as a company that a user has provided the proper fix. Even finding the actual bug.

@strych9 thanks very much. Great work.

Thanks.  A relief to get an up-to-date backup!

res

strych9 - thanks a lot. your steps work just fine. good instructions - apprciate the info Smiley Happy

@FattiesGoneWild

If you tried @strych9's workaround and the same behavior occurs, I'd rather you call Linksys Tech Support. You can request for replacement as long as the product is within warranty.

[ Edited ]

First, thank you [strych9] for your valuable find.  You have confirmed for all of us their error in code for the admin GUI.  That is a valuable find no doubt.  I would encourage all who have already called in and/or submitted a ticket, to once again contact Linksys/Belkin and update your Support Request with this new information by referencing the [strych9] post as evidence of their failure.  For convenience here is the direct indexed link to that post:
http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-v1-firmware-1-0-06-quot-Back-Up-Configuration...

To  [ pinkyzeny] ....  HUH?   what exactly do you mean by your post when you state "...You can request for replacement as long as the product is within warranty. "   Respectfully, please go back and re-read all 7 pages of this thread from the beginning. As we have already established multiple times, this is NOT a hardware replacement issue so please do not offer suggestions like this.  Once again, this is a problem with the code for the firmware and now, thanks to [strych9], we can all but confirm this to be an issue specifically with code for the Admin GUI.