EA7300 loses internet connection but only on wifi

Hello,

Signal strength will be fine, no indications of disconnecting from the router, but devices connected to wifi will suddenly stop sending and receiving data. This can last for seconds or minutes. Wired connections to the router are fine. This happens in any room, on any device, with either the 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band, with the bands on any channel. I've updated the firmware, gone back to factory settings, tested and set the MTU, and I'm out of ideas. Any advice?

Expert

Re: EA7300 loses internet connection but only on wifi

Make sure the EA7300 firmware is up to date.

I recommend you use a free Wifi Analyzer app or software to look for outside overlapping wireless SSIDs' on the same wireless channels as yours.

Keep in mind that 5Ghz has very little building material penetration properties compared to the 2.4Ghz frequency.

Below are some of my standard Smart Wifi firmware recommendations:

Optimal settings:

1. Enable Media Prioritization with Downstream Bandwidth set to ISP maximum download speed in mbps * 1024 for kbps
  2. Enable WMM Support (Default)
  3. Wireless 5Ghz Protocol Mixed
  4. Wireless 5Ghz Channel Width Auto
  5. Wireless 2.4 Protocol "g\n Only" or "N Only"
  6. Wireless 2.4Ghz Channel Width Auto
  7. Both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz Wireless Security "WPA2 Personal" not mixed

The trick is that MP needs to be correctly configured once and then enabled and disabled. After that you can decide if MP is needed. This initializes the QOS system properly.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Thank you for responding. I have followed all of these steps but continue to experience the issue.

This was on the 2.4GHz band, less than 10ft away from the router with no building materials between the router and laptop. Running a ping to 8.8.8.8 from the laptop would time out, but running a ping to 192.168.1.1 was fine. Doing a ping to 8.8.8.8 from a PC connceted to the router by a network cord at the same time experienced no issues. The laptop on wi-fi would not ping 8.8.8.8 until I did an ipconfig release and renew after about 5 minutes of failing. It had been fine for several hours beforehand, but disconnected again within 10 minutes of reconnecting. The PC connected to the router with a network cable experienced no issues during this time.

Expert

Is this 2.4Ghz issue isolated to the laptop or are other 2.4Ghz devices having problems?

Linksys

I have the same device and most of my clients are up in the A/5ghz band and I  also see the same thing at least once everyday.

I stream radio at nite and it is most obvious then because it drops the wifi connection for a few seconds which kills the stream.

It does not appear the EA7300 supports logging to a rsyslog server, like a lot of other APs do, so you can not see if it rebooted or had some error it looks likek.

There are only 2 other APs in the area on 5gz and they are far apart channel wise so I think it must be an AP issue of some kind. All of my devices are within 30ft of the AP.

All wireless devices, on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band are experiencing the issue.

I also am having the same issue with my EA7300. Wired connectivity works fine without issue, but wireless, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios, intermittently stop passing traffic. When this occurs the affected devices don't lose connectivity with the wireless SSID, it just seems as though packets aren't being passed.

I am having the same issue, wired connections are flawless but wireless drops out regularly on some of my devices.  I have to reconnect the wifi to get my internet back, but then it only lasts for a few minutes.  I have tried many different configurations, including disabling 5ghz, changing DNS servers to google's, changing channels, different channel widths, different security settings, disabling ipv6 - everything I could think of that might help.  It still drops my connection regularly.  I even tried reverting to an older firmware, but that broke the web configuration app and I couldn't get it set up properly.

It feels like a firmware problem with this router's chipset, I actually had a netgear AC1750 that did the exact same thing and I returned it.  Unfortunately, I was outside the time window to return this one or I would have.

The devices I have that drop connection are a Samsung Galaxy S7 and an HP Pavilion laptop (not sure of the model, it's a couple years old).  They both do the same thing - internet stops working, and I have to reconnect to get it to work again.  Wired on the laptop is flawless.  On the laptop, I was able to plug in an older USB wireless adapter and disable the onboard wifi, and now that works fine with the router.  My Galaxy S7 is almost unusable with the router, though, and drops frequently.

Other devices that my family has that work fine with this router are iPhone 6, iPhone 7, and Moto X Pure.  

I've seen others mentioning similar issues, and have been waiting for a firmware update to address it since I can't return the router.  There seems to be a pretty obvious flaw in this equipment.

Expert

Make sure the firmware is up to date.

Use the Android Wifi Analyzer or the iPhone Dr WiFi app to look for overlapping wireless channels with your own. These will cause radio interference.

Linksys

Firmware is up to date, and I have tried changing channels - more specifically, using wifi analyzer to find the least crowded channel and setting my router there.  If there is a setting available on the web app that might affect connectivity in any way, I've probably tried changing it.  I've installed many wireless and wired networks, and not had problems like this.  

The fact that 2 devices have these disconnect problems that make them unusable, but 3 others are solid, leads me to believe there is some incompatibility issue here.  My previous Netgear N600 had no disconnect problems like this, it just wouldn't reach the corners of my house.  I'm about ready to plug that back in, since I'd much rather have reduced range than these connection problems.

Also, my GS7 is solid when connected to other wifi networks, such as the one at my office.

I've seen others speculate that this might be due to the MU-MIMO feature, particularly with the GS7.  Is there a way to disable MU-MIMO on the router as something to try?  I don't see anything in the web app.