EA7500: Can I Turn OFF the built-in DNS? Also it's a DMZ issue but forwarding works around it

I'm using the DMZ feature, properly set from my side, however have some weird inside-related issue.

When a friend types in my publicly-facing IP Address, he opens the Subversion server there.

If, however, I or my roommates that are behind the router try to open my server, they get to the firmware router settings instead.

If I set my ISP DNS directly, the issue resolves.

If I manually go to add a http:80 and https:433 forwarding, then the issue also resolves in a weird way really.

Can I actually turn OFF the built-in DNS? I dpn't care about "myrouter.local" and even the faked ".com" redirect, I do not waht these entries being propagated to Windows/Linux underneath.

And since your router itself have a DNS, why you don't expose it fir us to use and add static DNS entries on it, A records and the rest?

Clipboard01.jpg

Re: EA7500: Can I Turn OFF the built-in DNS? Also it's a DMZ issue but forwarding works around it

Since there is no option to turn off the built in DNS, you may set a static DNS for this matter. Your friends may access the server using the public address. However, for devices which are are behind the router, use the local IP instead.

Gerard_21724
Linksys Technical Support

Re: EA7500: Can I Turn OFF the built-in DNS? Also it's a DMZ issue but forwarding works around it

[ Edited ]

Whatever I set inside the router as a static DNS, the router serves itself as DHCP DNS AND, in case I set an internal PC as DNS, it does not behave as I expect (looks like it is ignored). Sometimes it even does not work at all. I cannot force OpenDNS, I cannot force local DNS as a main network DNS.

I am forced to manually set the DNS settings from within OS on ALL computers.

Looks like this is a known bug with the entire EA series and sill unfixed as in 2018!

Hopefully Belkin stops taking weird decisions and start to allow is to make the routers RFC-strict.

if I don't want a router-as-dns, give me the power. Also I do not want to fash custom fiirmwares for this.

Highlighted

@PeterSvP wrote:

Whatever I set inside the router as a static DNS, the router serves itself as DHCP DNS AND, in case I set an internal PC as DNS, it does not behave as I expect (looks like it is ignored). Sometimes it even does not work at all. I cannot force OpenDNS, I cannot force local DNS as a main network DNS.

I am forced to manually set the DNS settings from within OS on ALL computers.

Looks like this is a known bug with the entire EA series and sill unfixed as in 2018!

Hopefully Belkin stops taking weird decisions and start to allow is to make the routers RFC-strict.

if I don't want a router-as-dns, give me the power. Also I do not want to fash custom fiirmwares for this.

This seems really odd, PeterSvP. You can shoot us an email with your contact details at LinksysCares@linksys.com so we can have our escalation engineers look into this. Send us these following:

• Username
  • Contact number
Nestor_C 21974
Linksys Technical Support