EA8500 (AC2600)

Evening all,

I have a Linksys EA8500 that I have had for about a year and a half now.  I probably should have RMA'd this thing awhile back but I didn't and it's to late now.  

It worked great for the first 6 months or so but then the problems started. 

One night the internet just disapeared on it.  Nothing would connect and the computers would just spit back a DNS error.  When I tried to login to the router via the Linksys app to restart it I couldn't get connected, it would just load endlessly.  When I tried logging in via 192.168.1.1 I could get to the login screen but when I tried to login it would take 10-20 minutes to register that I logged in and would usually freeze up and DC me if I tried to do anything else.  At one point I was just getting error 404 messages from it.  

Eventaully I gave up and reset the router to factory defaults using the reset button.  All was well right up until I set it up to login using my online profile again which is how I had been using it before so I could access it with the app from my phone.  As soon as I connected the router to Linksys online it went unreponsive and locked up again.  I reset it again and left it as a local account this time assuming that the server were having issues and used it like that for a few days.  A couple days later I tried to tie it back to the online login again and it seemed to work ok...for an hour or two anyways....then it crapped out again.  At this point I called support and attemted to explain to the individual what the problem was who was clearly not very good at english or understanding what I was telling her.  She had me reset the router again and use a local account and then called it fixed despite me telling her that this was all good until I tried to connect it to the internet and sign in using the Smart Wi-Fi login or whatever it's called at which point it would all go to **bleep** and the router would fall on it's face.  

I used the router like this since then but I am again starting to have problems with the wifi dropping and I am using a local account and have been for quite some time.  

I googled for this problem and can find the EXACT problem on a previous model but not this one.  

Basically I am looking for anyone else that has had this problem and wondering if anyone has found a stable firmware version that works from awhile back as I think this is all caused by **bleep** firmware updates which the router has been doing automatically.  

Any help would be appretiated. 

Thank you 

Expert

Re: EA8500 (AC2600)

I recommend you manually reload the latest firmware update for the EA8500 (even if it already has that version), reset to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

Hi Chadster766,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have reloaded the firmware a few times now thinking a bad flash may be causing the issues, and I have had to reset it every time I have tried to reactivate Smart WiFi unfortuantely to the same result every time Smiley Sad

I have actually rolled the firmware back to a very old version ( january 2016 I think ) as of tonight to see if that helps things at all. 

Thank you. 

Expert

MogRules wrote:

Hi Chadster766,

I have actually rolled the firmware back to a very old version ( january 2016 I think ) as of tonight to see if that helps things at all. 

If none of that changes resolve the failure issue can the setup point of associating the router to your SmartWifi account then I recommend resetting the router to factory defaults and to create a new SmartWifi account during the setup.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Been using the older firmware since October 14th and not a single issue since.  My router is back to rock solid....

Not sure whats going on with the newer firmware's but they seriosuly snafu my router.  No Wifi Drops, no speed drops and no GUI lockups forcing a reset since rolling back.  

I know it isn't the most secure, especiallly with the latest security threat but I would rather risk it then have a router I have to constantly fight with.  

I reverted back to firmware v 1.1.5.178908  that was released on Feb  16,2017 and my router run without any error but with security issues .

I do not think linksys care about customer or even want to relase new firmware .After this bad experince and wasting  over $300 on my crappy unit, i  decided to buy a diffirent brand.

if we all do it ,then maybe linksys will give us some attention and stand behid thier product

[ Edited ]

I have an AC2600 Linksys router, I also have a gigabit modem that was installed 2 weeks ago. My problem is I cant get any speed out of anything wired connected to the router. My WiFi speed is 350 to 400 download and 45 upload. My WIRED upload speed is fine at 45 to 50+ upload but my WIRED download is horrific at 25 to 50 download . I have reinstalled firmware , I have reset router  I have changed cables . Nothing works !!! I is just over a year old so Linksys wants to charge me to see if they can fix it, If not I need to buy another router and it WONT BE a Linksys .I was a big fan of Linksys but this has ruined my feelings for their product

Hi, GlennPB. Let's try few things here and update us how it goes.

• Access the UI.
  • Turn on your Media Prioritization.
  • Select settings, and key in your subscribed speed.
  • For example (400) *1024, that would be 400x1024= 409600
  • Click ok, then turn prioritization off, unless you're using it.
Pamela - 21733
Linksys Technical Support

No change, still have wired download at 25 to 50 down and

Upload is fine at 45 to 50+, wireless is still flying at 350 to 400 down and 45+ upload

@GlennPB

Got all that noted. What's the operating system of the device that you used to run the speed test? We suggest that you check the network speed on the computer while connected to the modem, router, and observe. By the way, are you using the same ethernet cable when you check the internet speed from the modem and router?  If so, let's have our Escalation Engineers assist you further. Please email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your contact details (Full Name, Phone Number, Location - City/State), firmware version, community username and a link to this post for reference.

Carl_S 21985
Linksys Technical Support