Highlighted

Re: EA8500 keeps dropping connections

Even in the case that it will work, I have no use for such a configuration... too many devices in the household that are running Android 

I was looking for answers and stumbled onto this thread.

My issues were internet connection dropping whenever a device at home is powered on or off, i.e. PS4, turning on Skype on my computer which have a direct wired connection to the router, or making/receiving any VOIP calls.

I rolled back from 1.1.8, 1.1.7, 1.1.5 and still had the same issues and finally did a download for 1.1.4.169978 and the issue have been resolved.

I have had this router for 2 years and it never gave me any problems up till now. Hope a new update will fix this issue.

Chad,

I was having issues with my EA8500 after the last firmware update as well. My first indication that a problem was occurring was when my Serviio Media Center disappeared from all my devices. I was able to get it back by manually update the latest firmware using Internet Explorer instead of Chrome (or any other web browser). It’s about the one thing IE is good for.

It seems that every time an automatic update of firmware happens, my router goes crazy. Manual updating seems to be the only correction. At this time, Serviio is back and all is well.

I called the techs at Linksys and the phone call had ENDLESS (I hung up after 5 commercials) So I tried the chat. There, they told me my service plan was out of date.  $29 for 2 weeks of help then tried to sell me newer router.  BOTH OF WHICH WERE CHEAPER AT BEST BUY OR AMAZON.  Clearly the company is on its way out if it needs to scam customers to survive.  This is a HUGE red flag...

Notice, ZERO Kudos

Again, ZERO Kudos

Expert

[ Edited ]

Hello, Vic664.

The $29 might be because the router is out of warranty and it is part of the standard process to update the service plan for out of warranty products. Were you given a case number by our phone/chat support representative so we can pull up your record and review what happened?

But anyway, we're glad that you reach out to us in Community and we're happy to assist you from here instead. 

To start, what happened prior to the issue? Have you tried to reboot the router? What's the LED light status on the device? Is this happening to both wired and wireless devices? Have you also checked the firmware? Is it updated? Make sure that it is updated.

Coleen_R 21984
Linksys Technical Support

All, I had the same issue with my EA7500 and EA8300 replacement. The solution (if you are still under warranty) is to simply return it for a refund and get a different router.

If you aren't under the warranty, check to see if you bought it on a credit card that offers extended warranties as an included benefit. This might get you an extra year. Many Visa/MC/Amex cards have this benefit.

[ Edited ]

I also have an issue with the EA8500. After the most recent firmware update, I'm having transfer issues with the 5GHz channel.

Whenever I transfer large files, 1GB or more to the USB 3.0 hard drive that is slaved off the EA8500, the transfer starts occuring but then stops. When it stops the SMB share is no longer addressable and the router needs to be rebooted in order for me to address the SMB share again. This only happens on transfers to the USB drive on the 5GHz channel. The channel is set to AC only and everything else is set to AUTO. I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga S1 with an Intel 7260AC wireless card  with the latest driver. I know it's not the PC because why would the SMB share lock up.

If I switch the laptop over to the 2.4GHz channel, I can easily transfer GB's and GB's of data without the unit ever locking up.

This issue happens whether I'm in the living room or three feet from the router. I can't say for sure it didn't happen on the last firmware, but it's something I'm just noticing, which didn't occur when I first got the router last year.

I don't have issues connecting to the internet, streaming or gaming. Also, I live on a farm, there are like four houses around me that are at least 400 feet away. So it's not a channel issue.

@FrankenBerry wrote:

I also have an issue with the EA8500. After the most recent firmware update, I'm having transfer issues with the 5GHz channel.

Whenever I transfer large files, 1GB or more to the USB 3.0 hard drive that is slaved off the EA8500, the transfer starts occuring but then stops. When it stops the SMB share is no longer addressable and the router needs to be rebooted in order for me to address the SMB share again. This only happens on transfers to the USB drive on the 5GHz channel. The channel is set to AC only and everything else is set to AUTO. I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga S1 with an Intel 7260AC wireless card  with the latest driver. I know it's not the PC because why would the SMB share lock up.

If I switch the laptop over to the 2.4GHz channel, I can easily transfer GB's and GB's of data without the unit ever locking up.

This issue happens whether I'm in the living room or three feet from the router. I can't say for sure it didn't happen on the last firmware, but it's something I'm just noticing, which didn't occur when I first got the router last year.

I don't have issues connecting to the internet, streaming or gaming. Also, I live on a farm, there are like four houses around me that are at least 400 feet away. So it's not a channel issue.

Have you tried to reset the device and check if the issue still persists? If that won't work, please email us at LinksysCares@linksys.com along with your Phone Number, Location, Username, and Link to this Community thread for reference, so we can have this taken care of by our 2nd Level Support Team for further diagnosis.

Gerard_21724
Linksys Technical Support