Expert

Re: EA8500 keeps dropping connections

arisaris wrote:

Hello all, 

I have been testing the setup provided by chadster two days ago. The situation has been beetr but I still experienced 2-3 drops in the connection. For example, this morning the music streaming randomly stopped for around 10 seconds and then starte again. 

Unfortunately I will also try and revert to the stable firmware since none of the updates offered by Linksys worked. 

Can this thread be pushed for finally fixing the firmware? This is an expensivbe router and it is a pity to have such a fault. 

If you have an Android device install the free app Wifi Analzer. Then use that to look for outside wireless signals that overlap your wireless SSID channels. If they are overlapped with another signal move your SSID to the least congested channels available.

Otherwise you could change the channels to see the results.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support

If the problem is overlaping signals reverting an update would not solve the issue. We have no overlaping signals where i live. My closest neighbor is 1/2 a mile away. The problem is in the most recent firmware.
Expert

xadonxander wrote:
If the problem is overlaping signals reverting an update would not solve the issue. We have no overlaping signals where i live. My closest neighbor is 1/2 a mile away. The problem is in the most recent firmware.

Sorry I misunderstood I thought that reverting the firmware didn't work for you. Thanks for the certification.

Linksys

[ Edited ]

Hello chadster, 

I have tried switching into "clean" channels. Unfortunately, that was not something that made a difference to improve the situation. 

Like other users mention on the thread, the issues started with the update of the firmware. 

Hello Linksys, 

Any news on our issue with EA8500?

I to am having issues with the EA8500 dropping internet connection.  Mine doesnt deal with the wireless or anything with overlapping or cochannel issues, mine is dropping hardwire connectivity with my ISP.  Resetting the router restablishes the connectivity, but I am having to reset several times a week at the moment.  Very frustrating.  I cant seem to tie it to anything at the moment.  I am running firmware 1.1.7.182977. 

I have been experiencing the exact same thing.  I've been using the EA8500 for nearly a year now and it has been working flawlessly, until just recently.  I would say about a month or so I have been experiencing random slow speeds or the internet drops connection.  Disconnecting the power to the modem and devices trying to connect to it is the only way to get the internet connection back.  I don't have to reset my ISP modem as I will check the speed of it, via ethernet, when the EA8500 has an issue and the internet speed/connection is fine.

I would say it's related to the most recent firmware version 1.1.7.182977, based on the release date of the firmware, which was August 9th, 2017.  You could try rolling back the firmware version via the Linksys GUI on a computer.  It will take you back to firmware version 1.1.5.178908.  Or download the firmware version 1.1.4.169978 from the Linksys website and load it into the modem via the Linksys GUI.

I did a hard reset just last night, but when you login to the modem via the Linksys GUI it automatically updates the firmware to the 1.1.7 version.  So I manually loaded the 1.1.4.169978 firmware, set all my wifi settings and will now have to wait and see what happens.

One thing I did notice when I was running speedtest.net tests via my iphone 7, the d/l speed was ranging from 50-80mbps on the 2.4ghz wifi band, standing right in front of the modem with the 1.1.7 firmware.  When I loaded the 1.1.4 firmware, I was seeing around 100mbps on the 2.4ghz wifi band.  For reference, I see 130-150mbps via ethernet from my ISP modem on a computer.  I really feel this latest firmware version 1.1.7 has issues.

Expert

joe_seph wrote:

I really feel this latest firmware version 1.1.7 has issues.

After you test the older firmware please update the latest firmware again, reset to factory default and reconfigure from scratch. This will isolate the issue to a the new firmware. The reason I ask for this is it could be that the auto update without a factory reset could have caused the issue.

Linksys

I found a permanent solution. I sent it in for an rma. When the new one arrived I sold it on ebay and purchased a netgear.

Update: We lost the internet connection while watching Netflix on a Samsung tv last night. I speedtested via my iphone 7 as soon as we lost the signal and the wifi download speed was erratic. It would fluctuate 5-20-50-none-20-5mbps, etc. I tried a speedtest on a computer using the same cable feeding the EA8500 and the speed was 130+. So nothing wrong with my ISP.
The tv was using the 2.4ghz wifi. The 5ghz wifi speedtest was fine.
I restarted the modem via the Linksys GUI and the 2.4ghz speedtest was fine again.
Soooooo, has the 1.1.7 firmware altered the modem permanently? even with the 1.1.4 firmware loaded it now doesn't work consistently. Glad the modem is still under the 1 year warranty period.